Which load for 777

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

777 mag pellets, 777 loose or 777 pellets.

• mag pellets

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • loose ffg

Votes: 23 82.1%
  • normal pellets

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • 300gr .452xtp

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • 250gr FTX

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • 240gr .430xtp

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Barnes bullet

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters
I never swab my barrel when at the range, usually shoot about ten rounds. But I use T7/fff and #11 primers. No crud ever and my last round loads as easy as the first. 465 grs pure lead bullets.

I tried BH209 a couple years ago in a CVA Wolf and didn't like it. Since then I have got rid of that gun and got 2 Knight rifles and 2 sidekicks that use #11 primers. Only use Black MZ and Pyrodex now with great results. Just have to clean more with I think is part of the experience.

I don't think you can blame the crud ring on any one component . When 777 first came out I was one of the first in my area to shooting it, in fact no one on the muzzleloader league I was on used it but me. I used a 45 caliber GM barrel with 1:18 twist that was fitted to an old H&R break open shotgun and used 209 shotgun primers. I shot hundreds of rounds thru that gun that summer and would probably shoot 20 bullets at a time without wiping and never experienced a crud ring or even heard of it at that time. By Fall I picked up a 45 caliber Omega and that's when I discovered the crud ring but couldn't figure out why.

Looking back now , when I was using my league gun I only used 50gns of 777 with plain old Winchester 209 primers and shot mostly Lyman Whitworth bullets. You might think that because the Whitworth has 7 grease grooves that probably kept fouling down so no crud ring but I actually shot a lot of 200gn pistol bullets with the 50gns and still no crud ring. Any time someone asked me about 777 ,I just couldn't say enough good about it.

When I got the Omega I started shooting the Lyman 457193 and the Gould bullet because they were both shorter and on paper looked to be more suited for the 1:28 twist but I just wasn't getting good accuracy even with different 209 primers so I kept upping the charge until I was at 100gns with livable shot groups but the crud ring was very evident. I shot a lot of deer with load but it kicked like a mule.

My thinking now is that the Omega wasn't giving me accuracy with low charges was probably caused by the QLA and nothing to do with 777, primers or the bullet I was using but since I no longer have it I can't prove otherwise. I'm also thinking that the crud ring wouldn't been an issue had I been able to use low to moderate powder charges.

I always shoot with a clean barrel when sighting in my Accura because that is the way the rifle will be when hunting. I have been using 2 pellets of T7 & Barnes 250 gr T-EZ bullets for 8+ years with excellent results.

Well after 3 stores today and no Blackhorn 209 I broke down and paid $38 for 777 FFG. Going to use Winchester 209 primers. No one has the 777 primers. I also got some smooth harvester sabots and .452 300gr xtp. Now time to see if my scopes junk.

Should I use my normal breach plug for 777 loose or my BH209 plug. My plan is so sight in with 777 and finish and hunt with bh209

I used Winchester primers for reloading shotgun shells and never had a misfire. For about 5 years I was shooting 300 rounds a week. Now I haven't reloaded any for years, but still have three MEC re-loaders.

BH 209 will spoil you because you can shoot all day without swabbing. But, the advantage of swabbing between shots is two-fold. It cleans the crud ring and cools the barrel. I always remove the spent primer before swabbing, so it pulls in some cool air as I pull out the ramrod. I'm with Bamahunter on hunting with a clean barrel. My first shot (hopefully only shot) groups with any subsequent shots. I never had a crud ring on my custom rifle with #11 caps, so I wonder if it is the primer, or the lapped barrel.

$38 for triple 7? Isn't that gouging?
Sure is. I didnt pay that much for bh209
Im thinking T7 for $22.00 is about right?????
777 is 23.00 around here
I knew it was high but locally I have a Cabelas and a LGS that owns about 8 stores in the region. None of my walmarts within 50miles sell ML stuff anymore and Cabelas hasnt had powder in about a month. ML season starts saturday so I kind of had to do what I had to do. Trust me I will remember his gouging because if you ask me how come walmart and cabelas can sell it for $25 but he's got an entire shelf for $38? I used to be a huge fan of the store when he owned just 1-2 stores but since he has taken over almost the entire northern part of the state the prices went up. Now they wont sell bricks of primers you have to buy 100 at $6. Some say its the supplier and some say he's gouging.

That is the free market. You know all of the powder manufacturers are paying overtime right now to try to fill the demand for powder, bullets, and primers. The only way they can afford that is if the price goes up. That seller has a shelf full of powder because at that price you have to be desperate to buy it. But we are desperate if we're out of powder during muzzleloader season, so we should be thankful there is some available. That happened to me one year, and I vowed never to let it happen again. I buy when the demand and prices are low.

I buy when the demand and prices are low.

Bingo. I have what I am going to hunt with in my hands by mid-summer and I have enough so that if something goes off the tracks that fall I still have enough for the following fall. And I am referring to 209 as the powder.

I have a couple jugs of T7 that I keep in vacuum sealed gallon bags for use in a couple older in-lines that use #11 caps and will open one to use on paper during the summer if 209 seems in short supply. I just vacuum and seal the T7when I'm done using it. When [if] I open the package of T7 it stinks just like it did when the jug was first opened and the stuff functions just as it did then too. Keep it un-exposed to elements and it can last along time. I have a couple desiccant packets in each of the vacuum sealed packages of T7 too.

Last edited:
Back