White breech plug with replacement nipple

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The threads are both 5/8x18. I haven’t crossed them from rifle to rifle. I gotta find the one that has the 5/16 head now. I think it’s on my other
I gave Jeff 5 breechplugs that came from Whitetails, 3 other M97’s and 1 M98 that were built at different times to come up with the final prototype. They all looked the same and all were interchangeable in all of my White ML’s. I can only assume the one that looks different came from Doc’s original design of the Super91. Only Doc could possibly answer that question.
Doc White is a pretty sharp cookie and if he changed the length/height of that nipple i would say it would WORK for ALL his models produced . Thats just common sense to do so . Im with Ed on this that it wont matter . Besides Doc would have specified differently if it did matter long ago .

Last edited:
I've a question. My White Whitetail Hunter .451 is a musket cap type. If I were to get a plug and nipple would I have to stay with musket cap firing system because of the bolt? Or will my present bolt work with a #11 cap? Just looking at it seems that the end of the bolt that strikes the cap is a size that fits the musket cap nipple perfectly. So it seems to me that moving to a #11 the bolt / nipple / cap wouldn't be sized correctly. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks!

On another note - does anybody know where to get the CCI 0300 Extra Strength six wing musket caps? All I can seem to find anymore is the four wing musket caps. And if I get stuck with the four wing musket caps, has anybody used them? And if so, how did they perform? I'm about out of the 6 wing so I either have to use four wing, or, move to a #11 if possible with my current set up.

Thanks again - and sorry for all the questions.

On another note - does anybody know where to get the CCI 0300 Extra Strength six wing musket caps? All I can seem to find anymore is the four wing musket caps. And if I get stuck with the four wing musket caps, has anybody used them? And if so, how did they perform? I'm about out of the 6 wing so I either have to use four wing, or, move to a #11 if possible with my current set up.

Thanks again - and sorry for all the questions.
Im no expert on whites , newer here , but i dont see why not . The cci mag ,remington mag or rws #11 caps are all said to be hotter and better sealing from weather too by the guys here that really know these things . Their opinion may vary on this but i dont think it will . Theres nothing to headspace on a plunger gun so all thats really needed is it to give the #11 a good smack . Just dont be dry firing it !!! The od of that plunger doesnt really matter . You should wrap your scope and/or build a sheild for it to protect it from blowback anyway so the end size of the plunger wont be a problem at least if it was mine

Last edited:
I've a question. My White Whitetail Hunter .451 is a musket cap type. If I were to get a plug and nipple would I have to stay with musket cap firing system because of the bolt? Or will my present bolt work with a #11 cap? Just looking at it seems that the end of the bolt that strikes the cap is a size that fits the musket cap nipple perfectly. So it seems to me that moving to a #11 the bolt / nipple / cap wouldn't be sized correctly. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks!

I tested both # 11 and Musket nipples with each model rifle with no issues. That’s the beauty with these plugs you can switch between the two not that you need Musket Caps but some like to use them.

Thanks!
It won’t make a bit of difference, all mine are #11 and some have a totally flat about 1/2” diameter hammer and some have about a 3/8 face with the edges angled toward the muzzle.

Doc White is a pretty sharp cookie and if he changed the length/height of that nipple i would say it would WORK for ALL his models produced . Thats just common sense to do so . Im with Ed on this that it wont matter . Besides Doc would have specified differently if it did matter long ago .
My “only” concern would be on the older guns (longer nipples) that the hammer might not have enough forward travel to have reliable ignition. When you put the bolt back into the gun after cleaning, if I forget to cost the hammer back and engage the safety, it seems likes it’s onl about an 1/8” I have to push it forward to get the retaining pin in. That’s about the difference in length.... probably nothing to fret over and would be easy to check by just swapping the nipples and seeing if there’s any spring left. If there is, it will fire...every time.

My “only” concern would be on the older guns (longer nipples) that the hammer might not have enough forward travel to have reliable ignition. When you put the bolt back into the gun after cleaning, if I forget to cost the hammer back and engage the safety, it seems likes it’s onl about an 1/8” I have to push it forward to get the retaining pin in. That’s about the difference in length.... probably nothing to fret over and would be easy to check by just swapping the nipples and seeing if there’s any spring left. If there is, it will fire...every time.
If there isn’t, a new hammer is an easy thing to make on the lathe, I’ve remade one because I liked the forward angled edges on the Whitetail. I put it on my .451 S91

My “only” concern would be on the older guns (longer nipples) that the hammer might not have enough forward travel to have reliable ignition.
I don't think there is a problem there as it doesn't take much impact to ignite a #11 or Musket Cap. I would think if there was an issue probably a stronger spring would probably resolve the issue. While I haven't check Doc's website I'm sure he has new springs for sale.

I went out one morning several years ago and only had a couple of caps in my capper, I went to a local sporting goods store, the only one in this small town of about 600 people, they didn’t have any so, on a whim, I bought some of the little red plastic cap gun caps, I didn’t end up needing to use them but, I did try three or four of them on my Renegade and it fired every time....just an interesting fact I thought I’d share....

I went out one morning several years ago and only had a couple of caps in my capper, I went to a local sporting goods store, the only one in this small town of about 600 people, they didn’t have any so, on a whim, I bought some of the little red plastic cap gun caps, I didn’t end up needing to use them but, I did try three or four of them on my Renegade and it fired every time....just an interesting fact I thought I’d share....
Good thinkin.....necessity is the mother of invention !!!!

So here is my version of the replaceable nipple for a White. It’s 1/2” across the flats on the plug and the nipple is from my Renegade. Just placed my order for the Treso nipples from The Possibles Shop. Got 4 of them on the way. Wish I had a shiny new nipple to put in this plug... Sorry to Bestill for copying ( to an extent) your design. I have the machines to build almost anything and I hate to pay for stuff I can make, plus the satisfaction of building something that works is better than about anything I can imagine. You can see in the photos my original BP is beyond wore out. I have four more that are probably identical, or worse...I made a whole new plug for my .451 but turned the taper on the nipple a bit small so I have to use a #10 cap on that one. I’ll rebuild it and use this same design, with the small recess to make it exactly (or close) to the length of the original. They’re made from 416 stainless, which isn’t ideal for a breech plug but, with the replaceable nipple, the plug should last forever... I plan to shoot a 100 yard group with the old nipple and one with the new setup to compare the difference in accuracy. Hopefully there is one....

Attachments

• 98C8BA3F-A76C-4F55-9B2A-B8FE4EEF853E.jpeg
    98C8BA3F-A76C-4F55-9B2A-B8FE4EEF853E.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 29
  • DC695D4C-7F74-4656-A20B-EEAF13DF236B.jpeg
    DC695D4C-7F74-4656-A20B-EEAF13DF236B.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 30
  • 92E4A6E8-09E0-43A1-8D82-718C8EDFFCAF.jpeg
    92E4A6E8-09E0-43A1-8D82-718C8EDFFCAF.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 5677517D-CBEF-4E77-831B-A81D6E4A999D.jpeg
    5677517D-CBEF-4E77-831B-A81D6E4A999D.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 28
  • E234380F-3D43-48C2-BDA3-F998B79DB773.jpeg
    E234380F-3D43-48C2-BDA3-F998B79DB773.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 28
  • BB8241A9-D49D-44A8-8998-300471943F5C.jpeg
    BB8241A9-D49D-44A8-8998-300471943F5C.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 28
Well boys gonna tell you a little story of recent events . Made me wonder if any of you have experianced this......
Went out the other day to test my new bullet , a pure lead swedged 400gr .408 pp hb , knurled up to 411/412 and BLL lubed ended up @ 90gr T7 3f . Shot GREAT and i was pretty excited .!!! By the way toytruck #11 Remington mags were perfect , thanks !!! Then came my last 2 shots , TERRIBLE FLYERS ??? Was gonna quit anyhow its colddddd . Figured it was probably just me , i was COLD and Shivering pretty good .
Took Mighty Whitey apart to clean today and guess what i found ??? The last i checked my flash hole was 32-33 thou in my White bp . Gettin there .

A piece actually Broke Out of the hole and now its gotta be a bit Over .060 !!!!!
The "brand new White plug" didnt last long.......

Holy Smokes !!! How does THAT happen ???? Cant find my hot rod small rifle magspark generic plug either !!!! Thought i knew where i put it right in my White box but its not there . Im a cooked Goose . Season just may be over before it is . I cant believe ALL OF THIS !!! Nothin is bigger than life....

Thank Goodness bestill has the new plugs ..... Merry Christmas Mighty Whitey.....no blood for you this year....

Last edited:
I just wish i could say everything was all good . Rem #11 good , new bullet good , BLL lube good , 90gr T7 3f good , hunting season good , bp not so good . I guess thats why im here on this thread . Never seen anything like that before . A piece just cracked/broke right off the flash hole . Brand new White bp too . Junk..... Something had to be wrong with it from the start . It was erodeing fast too .
Yea , i WILL have spares from now on . I know / knew better to not have at LEAST 2 .
Just listen to me. I just re- read all this !!! I think i need a Waa--naide !!! Lol , geez........

Last edited:
I just wish i could say everything was all good . Rem #11 good , new bullet good , BLL lube good , 90gr T7 3f good , hunting season good , bp not so good . I guess thats why im here on this thread . Never seen anything like that before . A piece just cracked/broke right off the flash hole . Brand new White bp too . Junk..... Something had to be wrong with it from the start . It was erodeing fast too .
Yea , i WILL have spares from now on . I know / knew better to not have at LEAST 2/QUOTE]
I can send you my spare. USPS is probably slow right now but i will send it tomorrow morning if you want it.

Muzzy that heart of yours makes you a GIANT among men !!!! Im a blessed guy to have met you !!!

BUT....... i MAY not need your spare plug .......

I couldnt sleep , very upset ,..... then my 1 brain cell kicked in . Got up rummaged , ransacked , dug through all my gun stuff in the middle of the night till i found them !!!!! EUREKA !!!! 4 factory Savage vent liners brand NEW !!!! Lol , i even danced around !!!!!!! Boy did i ever create a MESS.......MOMMA NOT GONNA BE PROUD TO ME !!!! No sense of humor about such things........took me nearly 2 HOURS to pick up my Tornado Spree ....but i have HOPE !!!! for the plug at least.....lol

Its 7:55 Muzzy and im gonna sleep a bit first , then its Dr Sideshow to the Emergency Garage for much needed operation !!! I will let you know if the patient lives or not . From the bottom of my heart , Thank You Muzzy.....your a keeper !!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Back