Why Shoot a 50 Caliber?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VAKnight

Reaction score
For the life of me, I cannot understand why shoot a 50 caliber ML. The 45 behaves better ballistically, the projections of equal weights have a better sectional density in 45 caliber. Also, for those using a sabot in the 50 cal, the projectiles are all 44/45 cal anyway. It just does not make sense.

Furthermore, since the chamber in a 45 cal is smaller than the 50 cal, equivalent grain loads of powder have higher pressures, hense better velocity in the 45 cal.

With that said, why does the world love the 50 cal so much? Magnum mania? I don't know.

Back in the late 70's and early 80's when I got into muzle loading, I built my own kentucky and hawken rifles. The only caliber they came in those days was 45 caliber. So why are we stuck with the 50 now so much?

The whole situation just burns me up sometimes. Just like when I hear people trash the good old 30-30 as a useless round. Sure, the 30-30 may not be fancy, but it still takes more deer on the east coast than about anything else. I guess I am slowly turning into a grumpy old bastard!

more bullets, more options, bluh bluh bluh,

out of 50cals I shot .430 xtps. I take the same ones with the right sabot and shot it out my 45cal, with less powder with the same power.

I think a member of a few other forums once said, 50 is king right now, but a strong wave of 45cal shooters keep showing up.

i love the 45cals. In some states like Colorado, where i live, you have to use a 50cal+ for elk/moose. I've been using the even bigger 54 and now the 58cal muzzleloaders, these suckers are fun!

Ive done a lot of shooting with my nephews .45 sidelock. Traded Corey some arrows for some 275gr powerbelts and some 300gr platinums. More to test!

Same reasom most of the cars i have owned were older than me

Well i bought my 50 because it was cheap..56 bucks, (bought my '56 chevy for 600 bucks) new at wally world .
shot great , then i bought a muzzle loader for my son ...What they had and it was good fit and not too expensive..cva kodiak magnum nickle plated 168$
Also 50 cal.

At the time i was inexperienced and did not know all the ins and outs, with black powder..
That is why the '56 got a ford mustang 200ci with a c4 and a shift kit , and a home made drive shaft a chevy Luv radiator and fuel tank...And a volvo temperature sending unit to make the temp read right..
Because that is what was sitting in front of me and i figured it would work..

LONG LIVE HYBRIDS
45 cal bullet in a 50 cal that won't work

:scratch:

:shock: A ford in a chevy? The ford motor is worse than the cars they put them in!!

:lol!:

i used to have a 53 ford mainline with the 239 flathead v8. That was a good reliable ford motor and ran smooth. But as you ford owners should already know, she leaked oil. Now if it were a chevy motor in there it wouldnt be leakin 8)

You got me there..
i like them all
My current stock is
76 vette
47 dodge truck
73 mustang
75 bayliner mosquito
84 ford E150
95corolla
87honda magna
94 250 rebel--Within the last 4 years i have built and drove (for long enough to get the bugs out, and someone too want it more than me)
An 89 firebird - 78 nova 176mph - 65 gallaxy-56 belair-81 honda accord-69 camaro -80pinto-78ford 1/2 ton
85v65 magna167mph..76camaro-73torino 61caddy. the last 3 were projects

NOW i would shoot a 45cal if i owned one. and if the purchase deal was a sweet one, i would own one
all but 4 of them vehicles were bought between $0 and $700.

Good reliable ford motor, you say,,,
That is because they don't make enough power to blow themselfs up.

I was going to put a lol guy there but it aint funny..

that is true! They were a good reliable motor. I was reading some stories about them and some guys drained the oil out of one and ran it and it wouldnt die. Mine used to die out often but when i pulled the motor to rebuild it, i found an inch of mud in the fuel bowl.

i prefered the 71 350 buick i had. That was a nice running motor.

I had a 71 skylark 4door with a 350 285hp or so factory rated..125$
Old black dude sold it to me said he was going to put it in his truck but the trans was slippin..and wouldn't idle
I drove it home and put the engine and trans in a 72 nova (lightened 2700lbs)
It had 3quarts over an trans fluid..
after a well needed tune up ..I found out it had a hugex2 kenne bell cam in it and a 3500 stall converter.

Would not idle less than 1200 and it was choppy
Sleeper 4 door skylark
Well the nova with a buick and 29.5x12.5 mt et slicks would stand a 4 foot wheelie and i shifted at 7200 with that 2v carb..
That was way back in 1986..

Gotta love a 350 buick
:D

haha! i had both the 2 door and 4 door. The 4 door was running and had like new interior. $35 out the door!

FrontierGander said:
:lol!:

i used to have a 53 ford mainline with the 239 flathead v8. That was a good reliable ford motor and ran smooth. But as you ford owners should already know, she leaked oil. Now if it were a chevy motor in there it wouldnt be leakin 8)

Quick question FG......whos getting bailed out? :D Grew up in the era of the '66 mustang and the 289.

Corey are you braggin'?
or do you just want us to feel sorry for you? :suspect:

Your're not alone...

What else can I say :?: ... VAKnight left me speechless and said it all (good point about sectional density!) . ALL my smokeguns are .45's and it is intentional. I sold all my centerfires except for two..., my 30.06(kept that for "griz" ),and yes my trustly 30-30 Marlin for deer. Too many memories in those centerfires to let go.

By the way, I now hunt deer exclusively with my .45 smokeguns, whether it be during the deer rifle/muzz season PA, or shotgun/muzz season in MA.

Latest posts

Back