Why Shoot a 50 Caliber?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marty I am gaining more and more faith in the muzzloader..It will consistantly out shoot my 30-30with store bought winchester or remington (since the new ammo sucks) and packs more energy through the whole range...

I have been developing loads for the 30-30 as well as the black powder..
The more thought i put in it the more i see where a 45 could be an advantage....
But i think i would select a .45 with a tight twist , so to take advantage of a pointy bullet type projectile with a high BC..
I think with the right combo in the .45 you could take deer out as far as a
30-06.
I have seen double saboted bullets, that the claims are quite impressive ,if those actually shoot consistant there could be hope for the .50 at those ranges..

If i could retain 800lbs of energy at 400yards and the bullet was hitting consistant, at that range ..you could take deer home..
I do not think 250 yards is stretching it for either calibur, once the right load is worked up, and your skills are honed to razor sharpness.

Actually I think the 50 cal evolved due to the fact 45 cal slugs are used with sabots. I assume much more loads today are used with sabots. The only true 50 cal slugs are conicals, balls and Powerbelts. I have tried the .44 with a thicker sabot and my Optima doesn't really like it.

Swampratt....

My best 30-30 load is 39 gr Win 748 with a Hornady 150 gr Round Nose setting in Remington brass with WLP primers.

This load is a touch on the hot side...use your own judgement there.

HOWEVER...between my 30-30, both my son's 30-30's, and a few of my friends 30-30's (all Marlins), this load is very accurate and stomps quite well. All deer shot only took 1 round to do the job.

Hands down, my most accurate load on the bench with my 30-30 has been the 150 grain Speer Flat Nose with 32.0 grains of Norma N-203 powder, CCI 200 primer. Out of a 1:12 twist rifle will give a muzzle of 2,112 fps. Last time in the field that load dropped a 3 pointer in his tracks at 50 yards. :D

If ya like Marlins, here's another good load for that micro-groove: 150 Grain Speer FN, 28.0 grains of 3031 with 200 CCI primer.

30-30bench.jpg

love my 30-30 marlin. Its just not fun to hunt with though once i smell the smoke of a muzzy LOL.

Hey Marty i forgot, whats the big idea with packing those inserts with a used pair of jocky shorts? :lol:

I just scored 300 sized and cleaned and primed 30-30 brass for 50$
And the guy also sold me 5 boxes of speer and seirra bullets 150 gr, for 15$ a box of 100...
Thearmslist.com...it is like craigslist for firearms.

He has all kinds of brass and bullets and star reloaders,, going cheap
And the same 2011 speer bullets i have been shooting...with 3031 powder.

Thanks guys

wow thats a hell of a deal, thanks for the link im gonna be hitting that hard!

Latest posts

Back