Will this work?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafriend03

Reaction score
I was wondering what the best set-up is for my new TC Omega?
Right now I'm using 150 grains of 777 pellets (3 of them) and a 295 grain powerbelt hollow tip. What works best with some of you with a tc omega???

Maybe a bit much in powder with a PB but personally I believe there are better projectiles out there: Barnes MZs, Hornady XTPs, Shockwaves & SSTs, Precision Rifles line of all lead saboted bullets. I also like loose Triple Seven for the fact you can go up and down in small increments for fine 'tuning' of your load.

Whitesmoke

Your load??

If you happen to kill a deer with your load of 3 777 pelets and the 295 grain power belt hollow point we are going to hear from you again and
if that bullet hits bone you are going to have quite a story for us. :wink:

Choc-dog

Finally

Your right, I connected with a non-typical 7 pt. He actually has 3 horns coming out of his head. He's got 5 pts. on one side on the other he has one huge spike about 14 inches long and then he has another spike right next to that coming out of the middle of his head about 10 inches long.

He came out at 175 yards right before daylight, I said "what the heck" and took the shot freehand from a treestand!!! I stayed on him for as long as I could with my scope, and I thought I seen him go down. By the time I got out of my tree it was dark (10 min. later). I ran over to where I last seen him and didn't find any blood, I continued to look and almost stepped on him.

The shot completely blew the top of his hart out. Average size entry hole and no exit hole. Later in the week I processed him and found the bullet stuck in his opposite shoulder (totally destroyed his shoulder and a few ribs.

I decided to get him mounted becasue it was the first time shooting my new muzzleloader inthe woods, first time I shot freehand past 50 yards, first time i shot a buck in the snow, and first buck I dropped inhis tracks.

Here's the load I've worked up for my Omega x7. After some judicious range work have settled on the 260 gr. Nosler PT (.451) coupled with the MMP HPH 24 sabot, over 85 gr. loose 777. Consistantly getting 1.5 in. groups at 75 yards using the Williams WGRS peep sight. Loading is significantly easier in the x7 using the HPH 24s, but I still spit patch between shots for consistancy.
I've also been using Winchester 's T7 209 primers, and true to their claim, the so called "crud ring" is virtually non-existant. :yeah:

Why does everyone here use 777? Do yall not like pyrodex, cost, etc?

We shoot 100g loose pyrodex with 50cal. 250g TC shockwaves in a new england arms and Thompson encore, and both are shooting 1 inch groups at 100 yrds. Most accurate bullet I found yet. and with 150 grains of powder it seams like all it does different is more recall and more smoke. Seams like alot of the powder burns outside of the barrel.

jlaughlin 72,

To answer your question: "Why does everyone here use 777? Do yall not like pyrodex, cost, etc?"

Although Triple 7 would appear to cost more per lb. of loose powder ($21.99 for 777 vs. 18.99 for Pyrodex select RS, where I buy mine) you have to take into account loads per lb. A 100 gr. charge of Pyrodex will give you the same performance as an 85 gr. charge of 777. In effect you're getting 15% "more" from a pound of 777 than you do from an equal amount of Pyrodex. Straight Pyrodex RS is a little cheaper, but not that much.

Additionally, clean-up is easier with the 777 (as it contains no sulfer compounds) & is less corrosive than black powder or Pyrodex. My rifle really likes Triple 7 & I've got it shooting just where I want it to be.

Again, nothing wrong with Pyro, if it's working for you...stick with it & happy hunting!

t/c omega loads

in my .50 omega i shoot a 250 grn. t/c superglide shockwave. i use 85 weighed grains (about 105 volume measured) of pinnacle powder. i also use small rifle primers in variflame adapters. with a scope off a bench i get 1" groups at 100yds

Back