Work

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I studied to be a biologist/ecologist, ended up working in the conservation sector for 5 years, spent the last almost 5 years working in the water industry as a data analyst. Hate my current work so while I'm young I decided to set myself on a course to get out. next year I have applied for an agronomy course, interested in regenerative agriculture.

During my time in conservation I also did a couple years of hunt guiding on the side. I had the opportunity to do it for a career but didn't like the time required away from home so decided against it. Most of the hunters were great and I love seeing the enjoyment on hunters faces when they took a nice animal. It could also be frustrating, one occasion I was calling in a buck and the hunter stood up because he needed a stretch - didn't get the buck. Another occasion we were stalking in on a buck when I noticed the hunter had fallen behind, turned out he decided to stop and light up a cigarette in the middle of a stalk. Part of the fun i guess.

I’m not sure game animals differentiate between wood and cigarette smoke or whether they pay attention to either but, I feel your frustration. I used to work with a guy who we called the “one armed worker” cause he ALWAYS had a lit ciggy in the other hand. I chew tobacco so I’m not knocking tobacco users, but when you’re trying to do something that takes two hands with only one, it might be time to put it out....

I’m not sure game animals differentiate between wood and cigarette smoke or whether they pay attention to either but, I feel your frustration. I used to work with a guy who we called the “one armed worker” cause he ALWAYS had a lit ciggy in the other hand. I chew tobacco so I’m not knocking tobacco users, but when you’re trying to do something that takes two hands with only one, it might be time to put it out....

Smoking doesn't bother me, it was that we were trying to close the gap on a group of bucks that were moving to cover so time was of the essence.

I got the feel with a small few people that it didn't matter what they did because the guide was paid to put them on animals and it would naturally happen.

Back