working up a load question???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsefly

Reaction score
ok i'm still new but i'm realy learnin alot from you guys so what i have is a trad pusuist lt. 50cal, now my question is when i get to the range to sight it in and work up a load how do i know if as you guys put it if the gun likes what i'm using? i bought some bh. and hornaday xtp .452 45 cal in 300gr. and harvester black crush ribbed sabots. now i know when i shoot my cartridge rifles its just buy a few different boxes and what groups best go with em. but on this i read that some group good and then go bad with higher volumes of powder and vise versa. so how will i know if the gun dont like the setup or if i need to go hotter charge if its just shooter error? i am thinking of starting out at 80gr. of bh to start or do you guys recomend something else? and i havent got the primers yet i bought the wrong ones so i need to get more what do you recomend.

In a new rifle, I start my sight in at 13 yards. Today I sighted in a Genesis and at 13 yards two shots were basically the same hole. This tells me that the rifle and the load I am using is pretty good. I then set the sights or scope in this case and shoot for dead center bull. Once I got that I moved the target back to 50 yards. With the load (which I knew the rifle liked) it was shooting a 1+ group. Those Birchwood Casey red one inch dots were easy targets.

If say you shot at 13 yards and there was a 1 inch difference in the hits. This tells you that the load might not be right or you are doing something wrong.

In your rifle if I were shooting Black Horn, 80 would be a good starting place with the bullet you mentioned. I think you should be fine. But try it. The thing I hate to see is when someone thinks their rifle should be fine, and they shoot and have a wide difference in hits and start chasing bullet holes with the scope of sights.

hey cayuga i'm from over at nahc too. i know what you mean about chasin holes i dont chase holes its groups or no go. but the range i go to i can only shoot 50-100 nothin less than 50 for long guns.

Well then your stuck. You have to start at 50 yards. Today for instance I mounted a new scope and it was 3 inches low at 13 yards. At 50 yards that might have been as low as six inches. So have a large target for starters... Good luck with the rifle. Keep us posted. I am interested in your views of your Pursuit. I like the looks of that rifle.

well so far with out shooting the gun (pusuist) i like the feel and the fit (to me) allot i'm short 5.5 and have a short reach, my draw length for my bows is 27 inch. and the stock size and length of pull is perfect for me. now i went to gander today and looked a t/c triumph and it was a little heavier and i could not get the stock to work for me the cheek pad is to high and to far forward for me i had to pull my head back to the point where the pad is gone on the stock to be able to line up the open sights, the back of the raised comb was right in my cheek if i were to shoot that gun i'd have a nasty black eye, with a scope on it i dont know they didnt have one there in a combo. overall i'm really happy with my gun once i get out and shoot it i will let you know how that goes.

Back