Wrapping Breech Plug for Seal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
For years now I have been wrapping my Knight breech plugs with Teflon tape versus using any type of grease. I have always used the normal White plumbers tape to complete the job. And it really has been a good experience for me.

So after wrapping this is what a completed project would look like

BP-wrapped.jpg

Well, this summer when working with technician doing a safety check on a commercial kitchen hood, I noticed that he was using a different Teflon than I had seen before. I asked him about the tape and it was his feeling it was a stronger tape and tended to seal much better than the normal white Teflon. With that small bit of information I thought it might be something I would like to try with my muzzleloaders.

1_Blue_Monster.jpg

So for the last few months I have been using this tape and 'for me' it certainly has proved to be a better sealing possibly stronger tape. The way I do this project the BP is completely cleaned and brushed with a wire brush to remove all foreign materials. Then with the BP inserted in the ratchet and socket I start a wrap around the nose with the tape extending over the nose. Actually I wrap the nose with two wraps then start down the BP to the ends of the treads. Cut the tape and then turn the BP in your thumb and forefinger to press the tape down in the threads. This tightens the tape to the body of the BP.

2_Nose_Wrap.jpg

When the BP is wrapped, cut, and pressure rolled in your fingers the last step is to tap the taped that was extending above the nose down onto the nose. The two wraps over the nose will most always provide a near positive seal at the nose when the BP is tighten snugly up against the shelf in the breech.

3_Wrapped_-_Tapped.jpg

It does take some practice to get the good wrap but once you have mastered it - it becomes very simple.

Looks good, i guess there's no problem igniting the powder with the tape tucked in like

interesting. Just to ensure ignition, wouldn't it be better to trim the excess tape from the concave area leaving the tape on the flat for a seal? I would think an Xacto blade run around the inside edge would trim the excess out of the way of the primer flame. Or am I over thinking?

Is that thicker than the white and pink?

I have used white and/or pink in my rifles for years, as your original tutorial showed.
I don't put as heavy up at the top (open end) as you, just enough to overlap the mating surface by maybe 1/8", and then I push that slight excess down into the plug. Has worked flawlessly.

Looks good, i guess there's no problem igniting the powder with the tape tucked in like

Before I shoot always pop a couple caps or primers... the ignition of the primers or caps blows the the excess tape off and out the barrel.

interesting. Just to ensure ignition, wouldn't it be better to trim the excess tape from the concave area leaving the tape on the flat for a seal? I would think an Xacto blade run around the inside edge would trim the excess out of the way of the primer flame. Or am I over thinking?

Not really needed - the excess tape is blown off by the ignitions of a couple caps or primers prior to loading.

Is that thicker than the white and pink?

It doesn't indicate that it is but the tech that told my about it said it is rated as a sealant for both liquid and gas applications.

I have used white and/or pink in my rifles for years, as your original tutorial showed.
I don't put as heavy up at the top (open end) as you, just enough to overlap the mating surface by maybe 1/8", and then I push that slight excess down into the plug. Has worked flawlessly.

Correct and not a problem - but what I have found instead a single wrap around on over the the double wrap really helps the seal. It is a single wrap around the threaded portion of the BP.

I really wish I had take a picture of the BP when I took it out of the barrel. It had 25 shots on it and the plug came out easily and really kinda clean. Most of the tape remained in the threads in the breech and had to be removed with a fiber bore brush.

Last edited:
Have you ever ran a scope down to verify that? Just asking.... ;)

No I never really never have - I just the see excess tape laying on the ground under the muzzle when I touch off the ignition. Whenever I do this process and touch off the cap or primer I point the muzzle down near the ground and verify there is gas and Teflon coming from the barrel. The mass of Teflon especially blue is very visible.

I will get a pic next time - for sure!

That tape would be handy and clean to use compared to lube, especially if you're away from home on a hunt

I do like it much better than grease - but still you have to clean the threads inside the breech to remove any stripped Teflon when the plug comes out. I just use this setup - turning counter clockwise - strips the stuff right out.

Bore-Thread-Brush.jpg

Thank you, I get a ton of blow back on my MK and it makes a mess in the breech. I will give this a try in hopes it will seal better.

Last edited:
The monster tape is a better teflon than the white or pink. I'm a commercial plumber and use this teflon every day . It also needs to be put on the threads right, if put on wrong it will come off as you thread the breech plug.

Bestill plug eliminates that

It truly does and it is a great product that Jeff created but at this point it is much less expensive to care for the original less expensive factory plug or the better Lehigh 17-4 SS breech plugs.

Were I shooting targets for a living -Jeff's assembly would certainly be the way to go!

Thank you, I get a ton of blow back on my MK and it makes a mess in the breech. I will give this a try in hopes it will seal better.

If you a igniting with a cap, FPJ, or even bare primer in an a Percussion Rifle you will get a lot of blow back in the breech area. The tape will HELP seal the treads of the BP and help prevent seizing of the plug.

It truly does and it is a great product that Jeff created but at this point it is much less expensive to care for the original less expensive factory plug or the better Lehigh 17-4 SS breech plugs.

Were I shooting targets for a living -Jeff's assembly would certainly be the way to go!
to me it was worth the money just for fact of removing the breech plug and fouling around but you fellows are shooting blackhorn i assume but real test is shooting black powder for 20 -30 rounds. I don't shoot targets for a living , why even say such a thing

I tried tape first which is ok. With all respect it is difficult to apply and not necessary as you have shown. Way too much of it in my opinion.
Then I tried some stainless steel thread sealing compound which. I apply the compound only on the first 3-4 threads of the plug. It does a great job of preventing blow back. The threads have a small film of compound which is easy to remove.

Some of you guys are saying blowback, do you mean gas cutting? I think of blowback(blow by) as gas blowing past the cap or primer, and gas cutting as fouling getting into the threads of the breech plug.

Latest posts

Back