Your favorite jerky recipe?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MIKE?S OVEN DRIED VENISON JERKY

GO TO GORDON FOOD SERVICE (GFS) TO BUY INGREDIENTS IN BULK
THIS AMOUNT SHOULD ALLOW YOU TO MAKE JERKY OUT OF AT LEAST 2-3 DEER DEPENDING ON THEIR SIZE USING THE NECK, FRONT SHOULDERS AND OTHER ASSORTED PIECES

1 GAL. SOY SAUCE
1 GAL. WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
1 LB. RESTAURANT GRIND BLACK PEPPER
1 LB. MSG
1 LB. GARLIC SALT
5 OZ. HICKORY SMOKE SALT
2 LBS. MORTON?S TENDER QUICK (CURING SALT)

Take a sharp knife and cut away any fat deposits, silvery tissue covering the muscles, excessively bruised/blood shot meat, hair and tendons. You can also do this at any time when you are cutting the meat with the grain in 1/4? strips, the longer the better. Keep the meat you are not working on refrigerated. The more time you take at this step the better your jerky will taste.

Once you get all the meat cut up, lay the meat out on some freezer wrap or waxed paper and season both sides of the meat with the above dry ingredients. Then place in a tupperware container and cover with a mix of two thirds soy sauce and one third Worcestershire sauce. Any seasoning left on the paper can be mixed into the sauce. Refrigerate for at least a day a few more won?t hurt a thing.

Cover the whole bottom and 1? of the sides of your oven with aluminum foil. This does make a mess of your oven so it will require cleaning when your done, so it?s best to dry multiple batches over a few days.

Take out your oven racks and place on paper towel. Lay the meat strips across the rack at tight as you can but not overlapping. Season the whole rack with the above dry ingredients turn each piece over and season again. Don?t be shy you bought a lot.

Place in your oven at 150F-155 F for 12 hours, if you like it drier leave it longer. If you
have an oven thermometer verify your temperature, if not, start keeping an eye on it
starting at 10 hours. Meat will start to cook at 160 F, you want to dry the meat not cook
it. It does help to prop the oven door open about 1/2? for the first hour or so, this lets
the steam out.

After you make your first batch you can adjust the amount of seasoning you prefer. This
jerky will store well in your refrigerator or freezer in a zip lock bag.

Jerky Recipe

Spitpatch,
I don't know if you're doing the whole meat/sliced or the ground jerky, but for ground jerky, I use Nesco's Jerky Spice Works. Nice thing here is it's available at Walmart, it's not expensive, and everyone raves over the flavor. I use 6 lbs of seasoning with 5 lbs of ground meat, shot from the jerky gun, and dehydrated for about 7 hours.

MO. I use the Nesco also and everyone loves it. Doing the ground meat is a lot easier to chew for older people. This year I plan on making more jerky now that I got the cabelas jerky gun. Much quicker then the little one you get with the dehydrator.

Latest posts

Back