100yrds..Great, 200yrds...Goes to Hell-Help!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read most, not every post but, the Fury bullets shoot excellent from my rifle and also from a number of rifle owners I personally know. Fury bullets are HUNTING bullets and designed for hunting. I find them excellent shooters out to 400yds. Beyond 400yds is a different story.
That said, just because a charge will stack bullets at 100yds, does not in any way mean it'll do it at longer ranges.

Have you performed a Satterlee test? If not, you're wasting money and time IMO.

I'd suggest the Arrowhead XLD bullet and would over the Pittman, of which I have and shoot both. The XLD appears to be the better LONG range bullet, at least to 1K.

I shoot 5 different smokeless propellants and always use a veggie wad. That may help but, do a Satterlee test.
I am not familiar with a Satterlee test, but I will look it up and see what I can do.

I am not familiar with a Satterlee test, but I will look it up and see what I can do.
Just looked it up on Youtube, and if I am understanding correctly I would slowly increasing powder charges, in combination with a chronograph to find the area that has the lowest SD's?? Something along those lines anyway?

I read most, not every post but, the Fury bullets shoot excellent from my rifle and also from a number of rifle owners I personally know. Fury bullets are HUNTING bullets and designed for hunting. I find them excellent shooters out to 400yds. Beyond 400yds is a different story.
That said, just because a charge will stack bullets at 100yds, does not in any way mean it'll do it at longer ranges.

Have you performed a Satterlee test? If not, you're wasting money and time IMO.

I'd suggest the Arrowhead XLD bullet and would over the Pittman, of which I have and shoot both. The XLD appears to be the better LONG range bullet, at least to 1K.

I shoot 5 different smokeless propellants and always use a veggie wad. That may help but, do a Satterlee test.
What veggie wads are you using, and what size diameter. I have a .45, should I be using precisely a .45 wad? I also have a muzzle brake on the barrel, how would you suggest pushing the wad down without bending it up?

What veggie wads are you using, and what size diameter. I have a .45, should I be using precisely a .45 wad? I also have a muzzle brake on the barrel, how would you suggest pushing the wad down without bending it up?
This is the wad I use: Veggie Wads, .462 Diameter, .060 Thickness – Arrowhead Rifles

Don't you have a funnel for loading through the brake? If so, just lay the wad down even on the brake opening and start it. It will flatten out with the loading jag. Start the bullet and seat it. If you don't have a load through funnel, that presents an issue.

The youtube video is correct on the Satterlee test. I'll provide a couple that I've done but............. THESE LOADS ARE SAFE IN MY RIFLE.

You're looking for that node......... There are two in this test.

8208XBR Satterlee test 5-13-2020  88.25grs  is node.JPG

Here's a test I just completed with H4895 and shooting Heavy bullets.

H4895 and 350gr bullets.jpg

since your initial 100 yd groups are great, my best guess (emphasis on guess) is the bullets are becoming unstable at longer distances. try 1. a lighter bullet that flies better with less twist or 2. increasing the powder charge to keep spin rate up at longer distances or 3. a different barrel with tighter twist.

let us know if you work it out. i am shooting the same bullet and am just starting to work up a load for my even slower 1:28 twist barrel... now you have me worried.

This is the wad I use: Veggie Wads, .462 Diameter, .060 Thickness – Arrowhead Rifles

Don't you have a funnel for loading through the brake? If so, just lay the wad down even on the brake opening and start it. It will flatten out with the loading jag. Start the bullet and seat it. If you don't have a load through funnel, that presents an issue.

The youtube video is correct on the Satterlee test. I'll provide a couple that I've done but............. THESE LOADS ARE SAFE IN MY RIFLE.

You're looking for that node......... There are two in this test.

View attachment 27942

Here's a test I just completed with H4895 and shooting Heavy bullets.

View attachment 27943
I figured I would use my powder funnel to get it started and just use my ramrod from there. Thanks for the charts. I have just a bit of 4895. Never used the other powder.

since your initial 100 yd groups are great, my best guess (emphasis on guess) is the bullets are becoming unstable at longer distances. try 1. a lighter bullet that flies better with less twist or 2. increasing the powder charge to keep spin rate up at longer distances or 3. a different barrel with tighter twist.

let us know if you work it out. i am shooting the same bullet and am just starting to work up a load for my even slower 1:28 twist barrel... now you have me worried.
I would "think" a 1:28 twist wouldn't handle these Furys, BC is too high/bullet too long. That's what I would think.

UPDATE: Did some shooting with the Parker 300gr Black Max bullets I have and they at least were hitting paper (probably a 10 inch group). I then put a felt wad over the powder charge and I hit about 2 inches low of the bullseye. I only had .50 wads, shaved one down with scissors. Have some .45 wads on the way so we will see what happens when I use better shaped wads. I will report back after shooting with wads in combination with Furys, Parkers, and Pittmans.

UPDATE: Did some shooting with the Parker 300gr Black Max bullets I have and they at least were hitting paper (probably a 10 inch group). I then put a felt wad over the powder charge and I hit about 2 inches low of the bullseye. I only had .50 wads, shaved one down with scissors. Have some .45 wads on the way so we will see what happens when I use better shaped wads. I will report back after shooting with wads in combination with Furys, Parkers, and Pittmans.
As HC stated, just use the .50 wads. I started out using the ones for .45 & they were ok, but after reading numerous reviews of guys using the .50 wads to really get a good seal between the bullet & powder has been working excellently in my Paramount.

Back