.22 Hornet...Savage or CZ....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.22 Hornet..Would you by a CZ or a Savage?

• I'd buy the CZ 527 American .22 Hornet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd buy the Savage 40 Varmint .22 Hornet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

big6x6

Reaction score
Basically...which .22 Hornet would YOU get?

CZ 527 American OR Savage 40 Varmint?

CZ Pros
1. CZ has a stronger action.
2. CZ has a "set" trigger.
3. CZ is a repeater
4. CZ is more compact and more maneuverable.
5. CZ comes with rings
6. CZ has a 1 in 16 twist barrel

CZ Cons
1. Barrel is WAY thin
2. Stock looks cheapish

Savage Pros
1. Savage has a heavier barrel
2. Savage has a much nicer stock
3. Savage has the Accu Trigger.
4. Savage has a 1 in 14 twist barrel

Savage Cons..
1. Basically a modified rimfire action
2. Un-necessarily long barrel
3. Only a single shot.

What do YOU think?

Chuck,

I have been seriously considering replacing my old .22lr with a CZ 452 American .22lr...so I am sure you can guess how I voted... :D

JC

After much talk with you about the two--I really think the CZ would be the best choice!

I would buy the CZ out of the two... I came VERY close to getting that gun before the .221 came into being. My local dealer can get them pretty cheap!

But really I would buy a .221 Fireball in a 700 classic... :lol: Would be a hands down better gun!!!

Well the wait is over....The CZ 527 American in .22 Hornet made it to my house today! It actually looks BETTER than I THOUGHT! Basically, which ever way the poll went, I went. I liked BOTH rifles but I voted for the SAVAGE! :lol:

Initial impressions:
1. The turkish walnut stock really looks nice...nicer that I thought/remembered
2. Blue is excellent
3. Stock to receiver fit is excellent..almost as good as my Dakota 76!
4. The new single set trigger...AWESOME! Non-set mode-slight creep-3.75lbs...in SET mode-CRISP 1.25lbs!

Mounted a brand spanking new Nikon Monarch 4-12X40AO scope using the standard CZ rings...looking GOOD!

Shooting report VERY soon!

Big 6x6 We need photos of the set up and the targets and the smile on your face with the new gun.

Pictures please!!!!

Please include your target pictures as well.

Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning he will have range reports on the board. :)

Congradulations Big6x6 on your new purchase. I guess you didnt like my Encore idea. :p

Chuck, bot a CZ 452 American 22 LR two years ago. Per my savage 110, 210F & ML ownership...you likely would be happy with either but happier with the CZ. I now also own a CZ 97B 45 acp which is also a great CZ offering.

My Edit: Per a reread...see you already made the choice i woulda!! Your like me chuck when it comes to buyin a gun...not much screwin around!!! :lol:

DSCF0117.jpg

Hey Loggy!
I LIKE that SCOPE! :lol:

Rifle too for that matter!

Latest posts

Back