Cost Per Charge

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did some rough math on what it is costing me per shot for ''just the powders'' on my various muzzleloaders based on current prices.

*My smokeless muzzleloader costs me about .39 cents per shot. (16 oz bottle at $45. 116-60 weighed grain loads per bottle)

*My Swiss real black powder costs me about .46 cents per shot. (16 oz bottle for at $38. 82-85 weighed grain loads per bottle.)

*BH209 at $100 for an 8 oz bottle will cost you about $2.00 to $2.44 per shot based on 100 to 120 volume grain loads.(100 volume = 70 weighed/120 volume=84 weighed)

Slight modification might be made for BH209, and that is to use it by weight only. Reason for that is that each lot# of BH will have a different volume to weight ratio.
For instance, lot#41 with two different volume measures that I use, both set at 120grs volume, when filled, and by filled I mean tapped and leveled, that the average of 10 charges thrown and then weighed ended up at 96grs weight. Lot#39 was slightly higher at 96.2grs weight.

I think it would be more accurate to just use 84grs weight per maximum charge, then it would give you a maximum cost per maximum charge.
So with 3,500grs in 8oz, with a more realistic average price of $80 per 8oz container, you'd be getting 41.7 shots per container. 80/41.7 = approximately $1.92 per maximum charge.
With a 70gr weight charge, you'd get the cost down to about $1.60 per charge.

It costs me around 75¢ per charge when shooting SML.

Last edited:
Slight modification might be made for BH209, and that is to use it by weight only. Reason for that is that each lot# of BH will have a different volume to weight ratio.
For instance, lot#41 with two different volume measures that I use, both set at 120grs volume, when filled, and by filled I mean tapped and leveled, that the average of 10 charges thrown and then weighed ended up at 96grs weight. Lot#39 was slightly higher at 96.2grs weight.

I think it would be more accurate to just use 84grs weight per maximum charge, then it would give you a maximum cost per maximum charge.
So with 3,500grs in 8oz, with a more realistic average price of $80 per 8oz container, you'd be getting 41.7 shots per container. 80/41.7 = approximately $1.92 per maximum charge.
With a 70gr weight charge, you'd get the cost down to about $1.60 per charge.

It costs me around 75¢ per charge when shooting SML.
It might be realistic where you live but not everywhere. There are places around us charging $100 for 8 oz. If you were to buy it on line with shipping and hazmat it would probably cost even more.
I did show max weight charge of 84 weighed grains as well as 70 weighed grains. I also showed what their "average" volume size should be. (100 and 120) And again, I said "rough math" as for as the loads. It was not a scientific study.

Last edited:
I used to keep up with what all my reloads cost me per shot, but I’ve discovered I enjoy shooting a lot more when I just shoot and don’t think about it.
Everything has a cost. Like the above, I just go shoot and pay no mind to the cost since I am not going to "settle" for something less efficient and far more corrosive.

Okay, okay i have this all worked out. The funds i spent in the past has no bearing on todays powder prices. So therefore my 5 lbs of SR 4759 is now free n should keep me in great standing on the rest of my shooting days ahead. Also same said for the 12 lbs of holy Black n Sub i have on hand

I still have 2 unopened 10oz jugs of blackhorn and about 3/4 of a jug of blackhorn that I'm shooting. I paid around $50 each for them. I don't care how much each shot is costing me for now! I'll worry about that when I have to pay $100 for an 8oz jug! 😁

I have 9 Lbs of BH209, bought some before price went up and thanks to Dbowling who is a member here got a nearly full 5 Gallon jug at a very reasonable price. Should last me a lifetime. I have been gifted a lot of metal can Goex over the years that I shoot out my 32 Caliber. I bought a case of Olde Eynsford for $17.50 a pound a few years ago. Using the 15 grain charge that my 32 likes I am under 4 cents per charge of Olde E and free if shooting the metal can Goex. If a guy loves to shoot a small caliber ML is a great way to shoot to your hearts content.

Back