Cost Per Charge

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Schutzen and Grafs branded real black were $27/lb after hazmat (group buy with a buddy who got some smokeless to split hazmat)

My smokeless I either get free or pay 30-50 per pound but my charges max out at 25gr shooting 223 and 762x39

I did some rough math on what it is costing me per shot for ''just the powders'' on my various muzzleloaders based on current prices.

*My smokeless muzzleloader costs me about .39 cents per shot. (16 oz bottle at $45. 116-60 weighed grain loads per bottle)

*My Swiss real black powder costs me about .46 cents per shot. (16 oz bottle for at $38. 82-85 weighed grain loads per bottle.)

*BH209 at $100 for an 8 oz bottle will cost you about $2.00 to $2.44 per shot based on 100 to 120 volume grain loads.(100 volume = 70 weighed/120 volume=84 weighed)
At 56 grains per shot mine works out to $0.04. In my 1851 navy revolver it is two pennies a shot.

If I make "Golden Powder" instead of Black Powder that cost almost doubles and its now $0.07 a shot. This is offset a bit by my being able to use cheap slack wax lube as GP has no sulfur in it. Also GP is a lot faster to make.

My most expensive component now is the lead I cast the bullets from, as I make the caps too.

I got tired of paying hazmat fees and seriously went down the rabbit hole.

If I didn't cast my own pellets for the big one it would cost me more than any quote I have seen in this thread. And as it drains the tank with less than a dozen shots i have to have my own compressor too

Latest posts

Back