Help w/ Adding Scope to Percussion GPH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a Traditions Performance Firearms offset mount. No longer made, but is essentially the same as offset rings. The hammer does not have to be bent as long as the eyepiece isn't too large. One thing with the Leupold scope is that it didn't have enough adjustment to adjust for the offset mount, and I had to use windage adjustable rings. That is the only scope I used where I ran into that problem. A Nikon and a Tasco were fine.

Is this the one with the long weaver style base with 4 mount holes (and were they factory drilled. )?

Nope. Two small bases, with offset weaver style attachments to put your rings on.

Attachments

• 20211228_113458.jpg
    20211228_113458.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20211228_113530.jpg
    20211228_113530.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20211228_113553.jpg
    20211228_113553.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20211228_113717.jpg
    20211228_113717.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 20
Thanks!.. Nice set up and looks solid. Like the engraved rings too. The high bases look like they help clear the scope and rings. BTW Wasn't expecting a lefty!.. I like that the rear mount screws are over the plug rather than the bore. (smart). I could relate some DIY mounting efforts that would astound many.

May add the only scoped TCH i ever had came to me with a Burris Shotgun/ML long view mounted in place of the rear sight. Came in for sear repair and customer never picked it up. I used it a bit and it helped quite a bit when i thought i was going blind. Only drawback was accidently dumping some powder on the lens in a hurried reload! I sold it after i got both eyes "rebuilt" but had to remove scope and add original rear sight. Yours looks like a "keeper"!!

I just looked, and I have a set of those bases that I can spare. They are essentially unobtainable as far as I can see. The rings are Milletts, I think. I can send them out to you. No cost, I have a few of them. When they were getting rid of them I bought a few. Pretty sure they were intended for 15/16ths barrels. Your GPH has that size, I believe.

Here is what the package looks like.
That definately looks like a solid setup. I would be most grateful to have them sent. I would like to pay for them though. Most generous offer and thank you. You can PM me to work out details.

I just looked, and I have a set of those bases that I can spare. They are essentially unobtainable as far as I can see. The rings are Milletts, I think. I can send them out to you. No cost, I have a few of them. When they were getting rid of them I bought a few. Pretty sure they were intended for 15/16ths barrels. Your GPH has that size, I believe.
See my post below.

Pretty sure I sent you a pm... I clicked on the little envelope and put your name as the recipient...

This is a TC renegade 50cal. the rear sight was removed and a 408 weaver mount was installed .on the renegade ,you will have to get an additional 6 and 48 thread pitch by 3/8 length Screws. if you have someone drill and tap it I would recommend you do it to this specification.The riser is a monstrum. the rings are also monstrum. the monstrum products are budget you will definitely need loctite.the riser you will have to file or Dremel down the bolt so that it can fit in the weaver mount if you get a picatinny riser( it is tedious take your time). If you want to permanently mount the scope to the 408 Weaver. you can make that happen without a riser with using higher scope rings. the crossfire scout will offer plenty of eye relief. You will also will probably need some sort of cheek riser. yes when you get done you will feel like you turned a beautiful rifle into a tactical turd. On the other hand. it will make a huge difference in low light or unfavorable weather conditions. where you're just trying to keep the rifle dry and having to look through rain , snow, fog or any other things a guy would have to deal with on a hunting trip.

Attachments

• IMG_20211229_142016321.jpg
    IMG_20211229_142016321.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20211229_141437989.jpg
    IMG_20211229_141437989.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20211229_120110703.jpg
    IMG_20211229_120110703.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 14
I tried the other forum and it was suggested I might try here. I have a .54 Lyman GPH that shoots better than my old eyes can resolve in fading light. I know from using binocs that adding a scope would give me 10 more minutes of shooting time and enable me to discern a fine target another 20 yards in the field instead of my peep sights. I know this is going to be extremely non-traditional but I don't care for the new fangled thingys much and I have several other percussion rifles. My eyes are taking precedent here. My problem is finding a way to get scope bases on the barrel. Gun smiths were hinky about drilling the barrel. Pearson has a dove tail mount but he doubted that his rig would take my .54 except with a scope limited to 5 oz. Based on other suggestions the only viable ones I have now are :
1. Get a piece of flat stock and have angles ground into the edges. The forward end would be screwed onto or welded to a dove tail. The rear would have a hole drilled where it would attach via the tang screw. The one problem could be that the distance between anchor points would be longer than 9 in. The other is whether the dove tail would hold up to continued pounding.
2. Use a Permatex product and "glue" the bases on. I also considered JB Weld. This is my #1 solution right now due to its simplicity. I don't care if it devalues the rifle.
If anyone else has had experience or luck solving my problem, I'd love to hear it.
Ok Gentlemen. I believe I've gotten all the info I need and the parts that should work will be on the way. My thanks to all of you who replied. Just goes to show there's more than one way to skin a possum.

These are the rings. Looks like they are discontinued, but you may find them somewhere. Millett 1" Medium Engraved Angle-Loc Steel Rings AL00008

Thanks!.. Nice set up and looks solid. Like the engraved rings too. The high bases look like they help clear the scope and rings. BTW Wasn't expecting a lefty!.. I like that the rear mount screws are over the plug rather than the bore. (smart). I could relate some DIY mounting efforts that would astound many.

May add the only scoped TCH i ever had came to me with a Burris Shotgun/ML long view mounted in place of the rear sight. Came in for sear repair and customer never picked it up. I used it a bit and it helped quite a bit when i thought i was going blind. Only drawback was accidently dumping some powder on the lens in a hurried reload! I sold it after i got both eyes "rebuilt" but had to remove scope and add original rear sight. Yours looks like a "keeper"!!
Pretty sure these are the rings. The number matches, anyway.
http://www.cambridgeworld.com/mille..._1_al00008_1_medium_engraved_clam_i51912.html

From the start of this, what I find amazing is that the gunsmith did not want to drill holes for scope bases, but holes had been drilled at the factory to install the original sights. Obviously there is enough metal thickness in the barrel.

Duh.

From the start of this, what I find amazing is that the gunsmith did not want to drill holes for scope bases, but holes had been drilled at the factory to install the original sights. Obviously there is enough metal thickness in the barrel.

Duh.
Yup. It's like 4mm.

Yup. It's like 4mm.

Duh.
Rear sights are pretty far up the barrel. Its the ones that some drill near the breech that are of concern. Best is those over the rear of the plug where metal is thicker and not over threaded plug section. Many do not have access to a precision mill-drill to control depth or special tools like bottom drills and taps.

So I've been thinking about your problem for a couple of days. I have no experience with long eye relief rifle scopes, but it struck me that a setup like they use for the Savage Scout would work for you.

1640884768229.png

Personally, I'd use the rear sight base and then use "Right Stuff" (an automotive made be Permatex) sealant to stick the base to the barrel. It's amazing stuff and is dark grey so will look good. I'm just about in the same spot at you so as you so please report back showing us your solution.

Good luck on your project....

So I've been thinking about your problem for a couple of days. I have no experience with long eye relief rifle scopes, but it struck me that a setup like they use for the Savage Scout would work for you.

View attachment 18450

Personally, I'd use the rear sight base and then use "Right Stuff" (an automotive made be Permatex) sealant to stick the base to the barrel. It's amazing stuff and is dark grey so will look good. I'm just about in the same spot at you so as you so please report back showing us your solution.

Good luck on your project....
I tried a scout setup. Blew all kinds of crap onto the scope lens. Maybe you can figure it out, but I couldn't.

Latest posts

Back