Load Deveopment

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has no brake and I'm pretty close to positive that a brake would reduce the felt recoil by maybe 40% but at this juncture I'm not putting brake on because I don't want to deal with the blast on that short of a barrel.

If you are in the mood to poke the ATF bear, suppressors that are permanently attached are exempt from the NFA. Silencerco actually made a .50 front stuffer w/ welded on can, no tax stamp or even 4473. Saw one for sale last year for $850.... the actual ML part seemed to be a basic Traditions in-line though.

I'm just wanting to verify my starting load development with more knowledgeable guys than myself. This is my first try at muzzleloading.
Rifle is Knight Ultra-lite .50 caliber.

Primer is Federal 209A
Hodgdon Triple 7 (FFFG)
No Excuses 420 grain &
Thor 300 gr.
Starting load is 68 grains by weight, going to 105 grains by weight, by 5 grain increments. All loads are +/- .02

Your thoughts?
Hello Larry Hill ! How did you make out with the .50 cal. Ultra lite? Did you find a load that fit your needs?

Well after trying loads (by weight +/- .02) from 82 grains to 94. My Knight Ultralight seems to prefer either 92 or 94 grains of Triple 7 (3f). Groups are 1 3/4 outside to outside at 100yds., with Thor 300gr. ballistic tip bullets. Bipod and rear rest, no sled. On to No Excuses...

Well after trying loads (by weight +/- .02) from 82 grains to 94. My Knight Ultralight seems to prefer either 92 or 94 grains of Triple 7 (3f). Groups are 1 3/4 outside to outside at 100yds., with Thor 300gr. ballistic tip bullets. Bipod and rear rest, no sled. On to No Excuses...
.02 gr increments from 82 to 94?! That’s a lot of shooting! Lol. I’m guessing you probably went in 2 grW increments?

So 100 gr (V) of 777 is roughly equal to 78 gr weight. 120 gr of 777 (V) would be about 94 gr weighted.

Since 120 by volume (94 gr weighed) is the max recommended load of 777 in a standard muzzleloader, I would not use over that.

When I used 777, I never used over 100 gr volume with a 300 gr Thor for my elk load. And with a 420 gr bullet, I prob wouldn’t use over 90-95 gr by volume. You do the math but that’s substantially below the amounts listed by the OP originally. Sounds like he actually used the lower charges.

As to the primers, I generally use lower strength 209 primers for 777 to lower the crud ring issue.

Last edited:
So 100 gr (V) of 777 is roughly equal to 78 gr weight. 120 gr of 777 (V) would be about 94 gr weighted.

Since 120 by volume (94 gr weighed) is the max recommended load in a standard muzzleloader, I would not use over that.

When I used 777, I never used over 100 gr volume with a 300 gr Thor for my elk load. And with a 420 gr bullet, I prob wouldn’t use over 90-95 gr by volume. You do the math but that’s substantially below the amounts listed by the OP originally. Sounds like he actually used the lower charges.

As to the primers, I generally use lower strength 209 primers for 777 to lower the crud ring issue.
I've settled on 92 gn by weight, with 3f and the Thor 300gr. Seems to group well. I still need to validate the load.
Next I move to the No Excuses 420 gr and start a new load. Hopefully, it'll be with Blackhorn.

Your Thor load will be deadly up to an elk sized animal.

I would probably start the 420s with 70 gr weighed. What animal are you shooting, and how far?

Your Thor load will be deadly up to an elk sized animal.

I would probably start the 420s with 70 gr weighed. What animal are you shooting, and how far?
Can't use the Thor here in Idaho, except for Short Range season, hence the No Excuses. Doubtful I'd be comfortable much past 200.yards, but only then if it validates properly. Not sure about the No Excuses and a comfortable range. Slightly different game, than my LD rifle...lol

Last edited:
There is no benefit to weighing blackpowder or blackpowder substitute.
You load by volume.
50% of the powder is not even burned.
I load for 50 inline & 54 side lock.
Starting at 50 grains with 10 grain increments.

You load by volume.
I load for 50 inline & 54 side lock.
Starting at 50 grains with 10 grain increments.
"50% of the powder is not even burned". You are very wrong. X

It is true for black powder that around 50% of the powder ejecta is solid particulates with the rest being gaseous. Not so with smokeless which burns more completely. I have no idea about the subs, such as Pyrodex.

You load by volume.

If one wants the most consistency, then yes there is every reason to weigh BH209. Perhaps even T7 granular. Black and the other subs, I doubt it.

As for complete burns.... I often shoot over clean, new snow and I have never, ever, seen any BH209 residue or particulate matter on the snow immediately under the barrel overhanging the bench lip or in front of the bench, so don't include it in your blackpowder & subs category. Like it or not, BH209 is a powder in its own world and is much cleaner and complete shooting than any of the true blacks or other subs and is probably why it costs more and is generally the best powder for most break and bolt in-lines made.

Back