Magkor Black Mag '3 is now Black Mag Industries Black Mag XP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I shot Black Mag I have to admit, I liked the powder. It shot well and had great power. Also cleanup was easy with the stuff. But they never knew how to distribute the stuff to stores.

cayuga said:
When I shot Black Mag I have to admit, I liked the powder. It shot well and had great power. Also cleanup was easy with the stuff. But they never knew how to distribute the stuff to stores.

Agree!

Actually, for some odd reason, BM3 was easy for me to find locally. I found it very user friendly in terms of clean up but never got it to shoot as well as T7. That was out of an Omega 50cal and an Elite 50 cal.

With Blackhorn 209 in the picture now, its probably going to be "hasta la vista"

Well i love BM3,it shot good in all my guns that i try it in.I plan on useing it my REM 700ML and hope it does well in it also.Because that is going to be that guns main Type of powder if it does for me in it too.I just hope this time around they keep the stuff available.
Now don't get me wrong BlackHorn 209 is the LICK.
But i love the low Flash Point of BM3 and think it would be more suited for my REM 700ML.If Not, i'll give the new IMR WHITE HOTS
Clean up of BM3 is fairly easy to boot
Not going back to 777 unless i am forse to,LOL :lol:

Yea, that was a bit harsh, but it was just waiting there for me!
I have never shot BM3, but from what Ive heard and read- if it would have been marketed right, been consistent and made available to the general public at its inception-T7 probably would not have enjoyed the popularity it has until now. I just wonder how long it will be before major smokeless companies will formulate the next big thing for us inline shooters. Other than velocities increasing and ignition temperatures decreasing, I do not see great advancements. A price point war would be nice to make it cheaper though.

OK, seriously though, I think they are way to steep in price, Considering it is just a very fine grind of Pinnacle type ascorbic acid based powder:

BlackMag Powder, 10 oz. $29.95 ea. A Hazmat fee of $20.00 per shipment (regardless of the number of containers in the shipment) and a shipping fee of $8.95 will be added to each order.

IMO This stuff is going no where, fast.

Black Mag is VERY good!

I used the previous version (Black Mag 2) for several years and found it to be the most accurate powder I ever used. Oout of my MK-85 it was awesome stuff, powerful and clean! I mainly shoot smokeless now but when I shoot my MK's, I always go back to Black Mag but now the BM3 version. It is easy to get where I live in VA. BlackMag was and is superior to 777.....it is more accurate, easier to clean, and no crug ring! I look forwared to trying the new version. One thing to consider is that the new BH209 has reported ignition issues and it requires a hot 209 primer and maybe even a certain breech plug design.....Black Mag has NO ignition issues and you can use any cap or primer you choose for reliable ignition....this keeps the non 209 rifles, like my MK-85s in the game!

I have used BM 3 with very good results. I bought a quantity when it first appeared around 11 years ago produced by the originator's company "ARCO Powder Co." As clean or maybe even cleaner than smokeless.

Very minimal hygroscopicity... shot an unused load off at the end of a fruitless season, placed my rifle in the back of the closet with intention of cleaning the following day, then forgot about it for several months.

When I did remember I expected to find a horror, but NO.
Same light gray ash residue as when first fired!

Awesome stuff, good velocity, easy ignition but somehow formula ownership and resulting production/distribution got all botched up leading to ransom level pricing and availability.

Haven't tried BH209 yet, but I plan to.

They are trying to price themselves in the same arena as BH209 with the 10 oz containers. One BIG difference, Black Mag is far more dense than BH209, so 10 oz is not going to yeild any where near the number of VOLUME loads per container.

The BM'3 WEIGHED 105 grains for a 100 gr VOLUME measure. That would be a 1.05 multiplier, and only 41.6 shots at 100 gr VOLUME loads per jug.

10 oz = 4375 grains WEIGHT / 100 gr VOLUME (105 gr WEIGHT) = 41.6 loads

Now take a BH209's .70 multiplier for a comparison.

10 oz = 4375 grains WEIGHT / 100 gr VOLUME (70 gr WEIGHT)= 62.5 loads.

It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to figure out that for every 10 oz jug of BMXP you are only getting 2/3 the amount of loads that you would be getting out of a 10 oz jug of BH209. So when you look at it that way, it will cost you 3 jugs ($90) of BMXP to get the equivelant loads of 2 jugs ($60) of BH209. My VOLUME/WEIGHT multiplier for Black Mag '3 may be off a bit, I just weighed a couple 100 grain VOLUME loads and they were both right at 105 gr WEIGHT.

I liked BM'3 for saboted bullets, but never cared for it shooting conicals. It was readily available for about 1-2 years in my area back in '04 and '05, but the supply dried up except for some retailers that had old stock for a couple more years. At the price point they now have on it, I think they have already shot themselves in the foot. I just can't see the dealers wanting to get involved in it unless it truely is a "NEW FORMULA" that is the latest and greatest. I would just bet money to save face they just re-badged the old Black Mag '3 with a new Black Mag XP label.

My prediction of the "Lightning Loads" part of this new marketing, is that they will never make it. $10 for 5 100 gr BP equivelant loads, $13 for 5 150 gr BP equivelant loads through MDM.

http://www.mdm-muzzleloaders.com/Mercha ... Code=LOADS

Also see Black Mag Industries pricing. Scroll down for prices.

https://emainehosting.secureserverdot.c ... buyme.html

A $16 jug of Swiss kills 'em just as dead, and I get a full pound. More consistantly too. :lol:

You gotta clean 'em anyway,,right?? So all this powder jibberish really baffles me... :lol:

Batchief909 said:
You gotta clean 'em anyway,,right?? So all this powder jibberish really baffles me... :lol:
Not necessarily... :roll:
-----------------------
"... shot an unused load off at the end of a fruitless season, placed my rifle in the back of the closet with intention of cleaning the following day, then forgot about it for several months. When I did remember I expected to find a horror, but NO. Same light gray ash residue as when first fired!"
-----------------------
Seriously, though I did a thorough cleaning the bore wiped clean and shiny with just a couple wet patches, unlike with Black and nothing like Pyrodex!

It shot good for me but not as good as T7 and nowhere near as good as Blackhorn. And it faild the humidity test. Lee

Hammerspur said:
Batchief909 said:
Not necessarily... :roll:
-----------------------
"... shot an unused load off at the end of a fruitless season, placed my rifle in the back of the closet with intention of cleaning the following day, then forgot about it for several months. When I did remember I expected to find a horror, but NO. Same light gray ash residue as when first fired!"
-----------------------
Seriously, though I did a thorough cleaning the bore wiped clean and shiny with just a couple wet patches, unlike with Black and nothing like Pyrodex!

But you DID hafta clean it,,right?? :roll:

I thought that this powder would be great for the first shot of a "dirty barrel" shooter..............and could leave the gun loaded for a week or two, with no corrosion.

No need for a 209 primer [BH209], a #11 is 'suppose' to ignite it......just dump 50 grains down the tube and 'pop'..............ready to load.

I would like to give this a try, but hate paying a $20 hasmat fee for 1 pound....and the powder ain't cheap either.

I sent MDM an e-mail, to see if there are any stocking Michigan dealers......would be nice........if they were less than $20 away!

No-BS

Back