50 cal equivalent to a Lyman Goulds 457122?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does It have to be requested? I didn’t see it listed in their online list.
I appreciate the reply regardless.
A good performer may I ask?

Nicely done 52bore. That is pretty. As much as I am trying to resist making my own Im thinking that's the bullet I would make for my 2 knights. Im really trying to resist but when I see those I think I just gotta learn how to do that. Pure lead???

@sdporter Made me a .50 Cal Mold with different, and adjustable Pins, This idea came from the Lyman Gould

gIgEfcD.jpg

Jp52bf1.jpg

I believe I have one, if not 2 of Acc molds at home.
I’ll check over the weekend.
I didn’t want to mess up mine by experimenting, so I order 2, to use with Ron L.and his bullet testing. Ron & I were curious to see when a HP would open at 1000ft/lbs energy (est. 300+ yards). His test results are posted on this site.
Bullet shot well for me with 75grV BH209
Stephen Tucker used it the following season after shooting his WR Tucker Buck.

6632CC57-D7F3-4130-BD61-CCFE4D732265.jpegD6CAE3D1-9790-4559-8406-623EE45234C2.jpeg749B9A59-DCB2-4842-BDB6-91C7E112F772.jpeg

The groups I’ve seen, and the ones I’ve shot, have been two shots almost touching and then a couple of inches away from that, two more almost touching. I think my mold, which I copied for Lewis, has the pin drilled just slightly off center. I drilled the hole first and then bored the bullet. I think the drill wandered off center on mine, but looking into the mold, it doesn’t appear so.

Here’s a picture into the mold with the pin inserted

Attachments

• 3FAD111F-E2A7-4B17-9A9D-41FACDFAEE7D.png
    3FAD111F-E2A7-4B17-9A9D-41FACDFAEE7D.png
    190 KB · Views: 13
The groups I’ve seen, and the ones I’ve shot, have been two shots almost touching and then a couple of inches away from that, two more almost touching. I think my mold, which I copied for Lewis, has the pin drilled just slightly off center. I drilled the hole first and then bored the bullet. I think the drill wandered off center on mine, but looking into the mold, it doesn’t appear so.

Thanks for the reply. Appreciated. Always a time saver at the range when “sperimentin” .
What were you dispatching it out of?

sdporter, Attached is a pic of the group I shot with one of the bullets you sent me a year or so ago. Shot with 75 grains (w) of T7, a .54 premium lube wad with some lube sent to me by michiganmuzzy. Shot at 90 yards. It was one of the hard bullets (hollow point) because it did take a little effort to get it started. Yours are the 3 on the bullseye. The others holes are from some more traditional aerodynamic bullets I was trying out. Its convenient your bullets shoot to the same point of impact as my favorite GT bullet.

Should have added: shot with my auction bought Knight Elite and Nikon scope.

PICT0006.JPG

Last edited:
What is the purpose of a hollow point on a large lead bullet? Just asking, I'm trying to learn something here.

Mike

Lewis , You or sdporter have shooting results on mml with this pill?

Sorry about the late Reply here, I got busy and missed this. The Mold that Stacey Cut for me is AWESOME, I was having a problem getting good Fillout? I thought maybe it needed more Venting? But in the end it was MY Fault, I had bumped my Lead Pot Dial, And my Lead wasn’t Hot Enough

I need to get back out with this Bullet, and will do so soon :lewis:

What is the purpose of a hollow point on a large lead bullet? Just asking, I'm trying to learn something here.

Mike
I would like that huge hollow point if i was using that bullet as a home/self defense round. I would like the choice of HPs for my gould mold. I may try to mod my mold for different tips someday.

Latest posts

Back