.50 caliber 375-425 grain Hollow Point for Wolf

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off to get the boat from getting ready for summer, one screw for the pin retainer clip, and some brake parts cleaner. Hopefully cast a few tonight. I’ll video once/if I get good bullets:D
Still ticked its left handed..... means I have to switch hands with the mold to dump bullets out.

So here they are. 386 grains on my little Hornady digital scale.

Attachments

• D40E2226-623E-47C6-BB66-B6E9CC21DA82.jpeg
    D40E2226-623E-47C6-BB66-B6E9CC21DA82.jpeg
    41.2 KB · Views: 20
  • A566C454-8F10-4AF0-9965-0D45F9ED913A.jpeg
    A566C454-8F10-4AF0-9965-0D45F9ED913A.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 20
I have a question for the experienced casters. I casted about 65 of these bullets tonight. About 1/2 weight 386-386.9 grains, about half weighed 387-388 grains. Can mold temp make that much of a difference? If I culled from 386.5 to 387.5, I would have a lot more “shootable” bullets. I personally would shoot every one, but, I know a lot of guys vary on opinion of that.....

Those came out Great!
Personally, I would use every one.
Those are going to be great hunting bullets.
I can see SnapBang's freezer filling up already!

Sam A.

Looks good. Good project.
Yes, mold temp will effect bullet weight and looks.
To me, good bullets come out of the mold after the lead takes 10 sec +/- to solidify on the spru plate.
1gr is nothing at this weight.
Go shoot and have fun.

Yeah I see bigger weight variance from my aluminum molds than steel molds, but I would shoot all of those. They are some good lookers. That is gonna be brutal on deer. I really like your adjustable hp. Very nice

sdporter, My gun is not fussy. Remember I only have shooting to 120 yards or so. I cant see a tiny, tiny weight difference making a difference in the point of impact. Those are beautiful. Love that hollow point. Now are those pure lead??? I think I will need to limit my powder charge if they are. I'm rambling. I'm excited.

I have a question for the experienced casters. I casted about 65 of these bullets tonight. About 1/2 weight 386-386.9 grains, about half weighed 387-388 grains. Can mold temp make that much of a difference? If I culled from 386.5 to 387.5, I would have a lot more “shootable” bullets. I personally would shoot every one, but, I know a lot of guys vary on opinion of that.....
yes and your grip on the the mold handles from bullet to bullet , one grain difference isn't bad you can sort them by weight

sdporter, My gun is not fussy. Remember I only have shooting to 120 yards or so. I cant see a tiny, tiny weight difference making a difference in the point of impact. Those are beautiful. Love that hollow point. Now are those pure lead??? I think I will need to limit my powder charge if they are. I'm rambling. I'm excited.
43:1 2.3% tin

yes and your grip on the the mold handles from bullet to bullet , one grain difference isn't bad you can sort them by weight
I had one bullet weigh 390 grains and I bet it was the first one I cast. It took a long time for that sprue to harden. And I had a couple weigh 384 grains. Probably the last couple I cast after I unplugged the pot, I threw about 4 more bullets. Plus the level in the pot had gotten down to about 3/4”

Grip tension never occurred to me but now it seems like a no brainer. I will pay more attn to it next session.

Grip Tension can make a VERY noticeable difference! I don’t have a Problem with Consistency, But some do

These were made to Combat inconsistent Grip Tension
oH1EigY.jpg

And here’s an older thread i started on these back in 18
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/cabin-tree-mold-handles.31817/

Back