A couple CVA complaints

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Groove508 said:
Just bought a Optima V2 and getting around to setting it up for shooting and hunting next season. I am sure that it will exceed my expectations in most areas but I have a couple gripes. The supplied durasight mount seems pretty stout but I like a lower scope and a qr type system. Almost NO ONE makes a decent base for these rifles other than Durasight. It's like they are proprietary to those, that's not good! Second is the swivel loops/studs. Uncle Mike's swivels are the industry standard and you can't even get them on!! I am sure the "Claw" swivels fit perfect, again, proprietary! Not sure but CVA owns both companies or they are in bed with them. When it comes to accessories, I should be able to use what I want and not be forced to use what they want me to use! I am sure if they come up with a way that there barrels only shoot Powerbelts they will do that too! At least they listened and offer another BH for Blackhorn 209.
Red head makes a aluminum sling swivel that fits it perfectly plus it's cheaper than mikes brand

Well,
I fell for all the hype about how CVA listened to their clients and made right with the New Accura MR Nitride model. They still use a type of weatherguard that is a problem, on the receiver...
I don't know if it is just CRAP or their process of cleaning and applying is flawed but my brand new gun (less than 1 hour old never shot or even cleaned yet) has bare aluminum showing on the receiver due to weatherguard chipping.

Sent it back over 3 weeks ago and was told they will replace it with a new gun whenever they inspect and clear all rifles in that model. Pictures (Attached) are worth a thousand words...

You better REALLY LOVE this gun if you purchase it!!!

PS note the really nice Nitride barrel in the pictures, then the receiver... Chipping weatherguard on both sides of receiver around the barrel lug.

Attachments

• gun pic1-mm.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 3,834
  • gun pic2-mm.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 3,833
My new Optima NW model is awesome. Looks great and shoots well. Couldn't be happier. Sorry about your Acura. Hopefully it all works out.

I have an accura V2, when I got it I found out it had medium scope base, I didn't like it but I tried it. After trying it I have to say I was pleased with the setup. As far as gun slings go I bought the claw and loved it, did not slip an inch on my shoulder, I now have the claw on 4 other guns. Two of which I removed the slings I had on them. I can't complain about CVA in the least.

I need to state that CVA's Customer Service and Gunsmith have been VERY courteous and helpful through my problem and I'm appreciative of all their help. They are not the problem.
The problem I have with CVA is with the executive decision to use a paint-on weather guard on Aluminum? Aluminum doesn't need weather protected, I assume it was used to get the receiver black to match the nitride barrel. I'm no smith or chemist but I'm willing to bet that painting aluminum is less expensive than doing a Black Anodized Aluminum Receiver (which actually strengthens the aluminum/gun).

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me that a corporate decision was made for higher profits by painting aluminum(which has been a chipping problem since at least 2011) instead of making the receiver black and stronger with Black Anodizing. Can't chip off if it isn't on the gun...

They surely cannot argue that they didn't want to pass the extra cost of Anodizing the receiver onto the customer because they didn't hesitate adding $100 for the nitride barrel...

That $100 gets you more than a nitride barrel. Bergara adds an additional step to the rifling process that is supposed to create more accuracy. So I'm told anyway. Keep us posted.

It wouldn't hurt if you would provide a link explaining..
StewTCB said:
That $100 gets you more than a nitride barrel. Bergara adds an additional step to the rifling process that is supposed to create more accuracy..
Gossip..? At the CVA website, they tell of the nitride 'rust proofing' process; no mention of additional rifling work.

All CVA barrels that have the bergara name on the barrel has one more step than the other CVA barrels. As a last step CVA polishes the rifling inside the barrels. It is suppose to increase accuracy. Out of the box my Accura V2 with the first bullet and sabot I chose, with 100 grains of BH209 held a 1 1/2 inch group at 100 yards. I think with a little work with sabots and/or bullets, or powder adjustment I can beat that.

I wonder if CVA uses an air gauge after polishing and if they do what is the tolerance spec cutoff for failure. I see no mention of it and its a very common process even in mid priced barrels. I would be very surprised if the Accura 45cal i owned had been air gauged at all. Muley claimed a couple of his CVAs had bores with inconsistent IDs.

BPI shipped out my replacement Accura MR yesterday, should be here on Monday.
I assume it will be spotless upon arrival but I'm a little skeptic about the weather shield's resilience a few years from now.

Hopefully my first gun was an isolated problem because I really like this gun.

I still haven't shot one yet but their claim to be the most accurate ML I ever shot or money back is pretty brazen,
I have a Knight that is a tack driver shooting 295gr Barnes TEZ, Harvester crushrib over 150gr T7...

I have a Accura V2 and the only thing I had to do was adjust the firing pin bushing to flush with the breech face, according to CVA specs, using the CVA shim kit. I have shot it very little so far and had 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards straight out of the box. I have bought some other types of bullets to try as some people say that T/C shockwave bullets either don't expand or have jacket separations. In any event even with adjusting the firing pin bushing I don't have any bone to pick with CVA what so ever. It shoots very clean, no blowby thru the primer at all. I don't see any problem with the stock or sling connector points. It is a pleasure for me to shoot it. This is my first CVA, I use to think CVA was a cheap gun back around 1985, I don't think that any more.

Well, UPS just dropped off the new replacement MR a couple hours ago. Checked all the cosmetics and everything looked good. Cleaned the barrel then fitted the Blackhorn QRBP in it. After fitting the plug, put the barrel back on the receiver to verify the trigger would fire with the new plug in. You wouldn't believe what I seen. The trigger is against the right side of the receiver riding the metal and gets worse as it gets closer to the firing pin. it is also croocked and does not hit the pin with the center of hammer( I did not squeeze one off but pressed the trigger and pushed the hammer with scraping metal sound and all.

That makes CVA 0 for 2 in my house. 2 guns never shot, strait from their warehouse and strait back due to inferior workmanship. CVA's manufacturing and quality assurance is TERRIBLE. All you guys and gals that like your CVA's Got LUCKY and i'm happy for you but I wouldn't recommend their product to my enemy... Expensive JUNK!!!!!

The worst part of all this is this is their NEW and IMPROVED Flagship product...

Attachments

• gun pic2 replacement.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 866
BTW, the Bergara nitride barrels on both guns where beautifully made and finished. Unfortunately it gets hooked to a piece of crap...

I'm guessing that bit of misalignment could be corrected by adding a thin nylon washer/shim. It's a shame but I would hardly brand the rifle as junk - unless you wan to sell it for a junk price??

I only signed up and posted my experience with this gun to notify this sites users of my problems (still unresolved).
I am not bashing the gun or company, after all, I purchased the gun for all it's great attributes. The problem I have is that
the first gun had weatherguard chipping and the second was inoperable and unknown if it could be fixed. I was surprised to see your comment about
repairing an unused, inoperable, brand new gun, No matter how simple the fix.

Anyway, I posted my experience, and neither want to bash or defend the gun or company.
The pictures tell the truth and prospective customers can make their own educated decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back