Anyone ever tried Nielson Slugs?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razor62

Reaction score
Hey folks! wondering if these would perform in muzzleloaders with any degree of accuracy??? They're cast of pure lead and designed for big bore airguns. I'm thinking of giving them a try in my underhammer build. I'll be shooting 60 grains max of Triple 7 at ranges less than 100 yards with a very short barreled (19"), 1:28" ROT rifle.
I don't shoot as much as many of the folks here. I hunt and the most trigger time that I get is when I sit down to zero in my guns before each season. Many of you will be far more knowledgeable than I when it comes to muzzelloader ballistics.
Nielson offers several .45 options many of which I find interesting.
What say the front stuffin' gurus????

https://nielsenspecialtyammo.com/collections/45-cal/products/348-gr-hp-bt-knurl-45-cal

Attachments

• 240-grain-.45_470x.jpg
    240-grain-.45_470x.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 15
I cast the Lyman 330gr HP Gould bullet and casting with Pure Lead they come out weighing around 346-347gr. With my 451 White ML with a 1-20 twist, they shoot great and are devasting on Deer. I started casting them for my young grandsons and started him out with 50gr of 777-3F and limited his shots to 50yds. His first doe dropped in her tracks. Since then all four of my grandson have harvested deer with that bullet shooting from 50-75gr of 777-3F. Sixty grains of 777-3F seems to be the sweet spot for my youngest grandson White M97.

So I see no problem that bullet and load would not work.

Just get some Goulds. Pretty sure Dan at Bullshop sells them and 100 will be under $50 shipped. The main thing you need to know first is your land to land. Then have Dan size them accordingly.

My experience with pure lead bullets is that they are devastating on deer. I've only seen one take a step after being hit. That was a trophy mule deer, and he went about 40 yards. On elk, they kill effectively, but don't penetrate to leave a blood trail. I hit a bull at 220 yards slightly quartering away (using 150 gr. 777) and it went through a portion of paunch, and penetrated 1" into the heart. The bullet was expanded to over an inch. It worked, but if I hadn't hit the heart, he could have run, and there was no blood trail. Probably they would perform better at lower velocities, but at 220 yards I don't think they were moving that fast. The old buffalo hunters used 1 part tin to 16 parts lead, and killed bison at 300 yards. One of these days, I'm going to cast some and see. I've had great luck with Scorpion PTs in my .50 for deer, and I use a .458 Remington 405 gr. jacketed bullet for elk.

Hey folks! wondering if these would perform in muzzleloaders with any degree of accuracy??? They're cast of pure lead and designed for big bore airguns. I'm thinking of giving them a try in my underhammer build. I'll be shooting 60 grains max of Triple 7 at ranges less than 100 yards with a very short barreled (19"), 1:28" ROT rifle.
I don't shoot as much as many of the folks here. I hunt and the most trigger time that I get is when I sit down to zero in my guns before each season. Many of you will be far more knowledgeable than I when it comes to muzzelloader ballistics.
Nielson offers several .45 options many of which I find interesting.
I did notice that Nielsen lists them at a .457 diameter. Are you going to size them down for your gun? They sure look impressive with that big HP. And it is hard to argue about the performance of soft lead on game. I would probably use a thicker than 1/8" wad to conform and help seal that BT base.

Neilson offers some of his bullets sized in two or three options. A wad would be advisable I assume...?

Back