Backing off on the powder....

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

redear

I know I'm rambling but with my newish cva scout smokeless conversion I have failed to get great groups with the stouter lods alot of the other guys shoot out of those same guns. I dropped back to 45 gr. of Imr 4227 and a barnes 250 tez bullet and wool wad and it shoots 3/4" groups at 104 yds. thats a very mild load , but dont use any of that type powder in a non smokeless gun, I'm just saying I have never had any luck shooting a stout load out of anything, and have wasted alot of money trying, lol

deermanok

Supporter
Supporter
Hey redear, thanks for the help. Sounds like you have good luck with those bullets in your rig.

Confederate rifleman

Me and Baby Girl have used 40 grains of 3f T7 and a TC Cheap Shot in a Traditions Tracker ( lit with musket caps) for 16 years. I took 4 deer with that combo. Same for Valerie. Chrono'd muzzle velocity is 1350 fps. 100 yard groups around 2 inches. We've taken deer from 15 feet ( me) to 125 yards ( Valerie). Only 1 required a 2nd shot( mine) and none were a long track.
Light loads DO work. But bullet choice becomes critical. Cheap Shots are a fine bullet ( 240 lead h.p. .45 caliber), and the 200-250 grain Hornady XTP's, again, 45 caliber, would also be a fine choice.
Light is quite nice sometimes. At the very least, it makes a pound of powder last a bit longer.

wmdbowman

Supporter
Supporter
Redear, What kind of bullets have you tried in your scout conversion other than the 250 TEZ ? Especially with heavier loads. What types of powder?

Latest posts