Best handling rifle for running game.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the way my GMB 54-120 handles but i dont shoot at running deer. I dont need venison that badly. The only situation i can imagine is a wounded deer that you need to try and put it down.

Best current models would be a Accura Mountain Rifle or the Knight Ultra Lite. Some of the cheaper rifles like the TC Impact, Knight Wolverine or Optima V2 are also worth looking at. The Accura MR though has no open site option. Its scope only so optics would need careful selection. A wide FOV would be a huge plus.

There is a Huge difference between shooting a target, from a rest, good lighting, and with the time and ability to dope the wind, at 250 yards. I'm sure plenty of respondents here could do that. But shooting at a big game animal at that range , is just foolish. That deer takes just one step between the time you pull the trigger and the bullet arrives and you have a "gut shot".
Not very ethical in my book, sound like some folks should concentrate on becoming better "hunters", instead of better target shooters! Just my 2cents worth

How's that work at 100yds?? What's the bullet flight time at 100 and 250yds and from who's rifle?

New guy to the forum, his second post, and he's already telling people to become more ethical and become better hunters..... SMH

Hes new to the forum but that doesnt mean hes new to shooting. And can have his own opinion.
My Mossberg 500 that ive had for sooo long that i dont even remember buying it, would be my first, 2nd and 3rd choice for running shots. I know it inside outside upside down. And bonus, it has a ML barrel that is by many accounts a super accurate barrel. I can shoulder and aim it like its a part of me. I can tell it from another 500 with eyes closed. I know what it'll do when i pull it up.

Ok. But name calling aint helpfull either. Some topics are just a little sensitive to some. This appears to be one such. Like politics and religion, we all have opinions. You dont need to leave. Everyone can just agree to disagree.

No I am not new to hunting, only new to pinheads who spout stories of there super accurate rifles that just can't miss. I hunt with everything legal, crossbow, Ruger 30-06, T/C Renegade in 54, and T/C Omega.
I shot two bucks and a doe this fall, all under 100 yards, and none running. I may leave this forum soon, only came here to learn more from Idaholewis.
Seems the only thing here running are some peoples mouths.
Well there's 3 posts and the name calling started.

Idaholewis by the way, is a pretty good long range hunter/shooter.

I shot two runners this year. Both less than 50yds. Both with my new 450 bushmaster bolt with a low power scope. I shot that gun a lot when i got it as much as i could before runnin out of ammo became a real concern. Trying to prepare for driving with Snapbang. Both were dam near texas heart shots. Runnin straight away from me not past me. The situation can determine whether or not to pull the trigger.

Smokeless Muzzleloaders, They can be made to outperform most any Centerfire Cartridge gun with ease. For example, a .338 Lapua Magnum is a well known BIG Powerhouse Long Range Cartridge Gun, a 300 Grain Bullet with a Muzzle Velocity of about 2,800 Fps
Now take Jeff Hankins .45 Cal Smokeless Muzzleloader he calls “Cyclops” He is Pushing a 350 Grain Bullet at 3,800 FPS MV, No That’s NOT a Typo! There is a Video of it, titled “The Worlds Most Powerful Muzzleloader“ I am not gonna link it here, it has been seen here over n over. Go look it up on Youtube, it’s IMPRESSIVE to say the least. He sizzles a Bullet through AR500 Armor Plate Steel like Butter :D He evaporates a Deers Head in another Video.
Hankin’s rifle is a HEAVY Bench Rifle, Definately NOT something you are gonna Tote around. But This gives you an idea of what these Smokeless Muzzleloader Rigs are Capable of, INCREDIBLE HORSEPOWER is a GROSS understatement
They shoot Groups with these Rigs that will Hang with, and Rival some of the best Centerfire stuff out there
I have to agree 100% IDAHO LEWIS! In a cartridge gun there is nearly always an airspace above the powder due to the load not being compressed. Upon ignition the flame front moves forward rapidly and slams into the back of the bullet causing a pressure spike. As the bullet starts to move it has to engrave the rifling before it can fit down the barrel. This also causes a pressure spike to add to the first one. If you look at pressure traces, upon firing the pressure peaks rapidly then immediately starts dropping as the bullet moves the first few inches. In a smokeless ML the bullet is already engraved with the rifling and the bullet is rammed right to the powder with no gap. This lessens the peak pressure, enhances accuracy and allows (safe) performance that cartridge shooters can only dream about.

I find any gun with a thumb hole stock alot easier for handling. We make alot of deer drives in wisconsin and make running shots routinely. Make sure you shooting safely!!

Wow this is deteriorating quickly. I've taken shots at running deer and javelina a few times in my life. I've found it isn't that difficult if they are close enough. For me that is about 50 yards. I agree that familiarity with the rifle is probably as important or maybe more important than the rifle.

Have you tried deer calls? I use a deer call made by ELK. It will call in mule deer does, and usually stops bucks. I haven't tried it on whitetails. We have Coues deer here, and I don't hunt them much. 1608513235758.png

As kids my brother and i shot at thrown cans, etc. with BB guns and air rifles. We both became excellent wing shots. For me that ability transferred to shooting running animals. The technique i use is called "trapping". The rifle barrel never moves, when the animal is at right distance from the aiming point the gun is triggered. i often shoot running hogs, my favorite muzzleloader for that is an Encore. My favorite centerfire rifle for running shots is a Remington 700 in .308.

My longest running shot with muzzleloader was with a CVA Mag Hunter at a lasered 206 yards. There was also a vertical component too, about 12 inches. Yep, luck was involved too.

Jack O' Connor was a superior running game shot. Someone once complimented him on a running shot. O'Connor replied: "They're the same size running as standing still."

On the other hand why would anyone shoot at a running buck during the rut? Just make the BAAAAAAAAAA sound and they stop nearly 100 percent of the time.

Last edited:
We shouldn’t do it, but we all probably have shot at running game. It totally depends on the type of terrain you hunt in. If it’s brushy and close quarters, I’ll prefer a Model 94 Winchester size rifle, longer distance say, 1-200 yards I prefer my Model 70 30-.06 (yeah I’m a Winchester guy)as a general rule I don’t take running shots with my ML. The three times I have, I’ve whiffed.

I have to agree 100% IDAHO LEWIS! In a cartridge gun there is nearly always an airspace above the powder due to the load not being compressed. Upon ignition the flame front moves forward rapidly and slams into the back of the bullet causing a pressure spike. As the bullet starts to move it has to engrave the rifling before it can fit down the barrel. This also causes a pressure spike to add to the first one. If you look at pressure traces, upon firing the pressure peaks rapidly then immediately starts dropping as the bullet moves the first few inches. In a smokeless ML the bullet is already engraved with the rifling and the bullet is rammed right to the powder with no gap. This lessens the peak pressure, enhances accuracy and allows (safe) performance that cartridge shooters can only dream about.

In a Cartridge gun, The Cartridge is the “Weak link” That “Weak Link” is REMOVED with a Smokeless Muzzleloader :lewis: You don’t have a “lead” Forcing Cone, Rifling/Lands to Jump. I see a Smokeless ML as a WIN WIN, No swabbing between Shots, No worries about Rushing home & Cleaning Corrosive Fouling. With performance that can easily Hang with, and depending on the Build? Rival most any Cartridge Gun out there.

That said, 1 CARELESS MISTAKE WITH A SMOKELESS ML, AND IT MIGHT VERY WELL BE YOUR LAST ONE! These Rifles are NOT for everyone. Attention to detail with these Rigs is an ABSOLUTE must, And Vital to your Health/Well being.

It is amazing what these guy’s are doing with these Smokeless ML’s. As I’ve said before, if i ever venture back in to inline Rifles, I would go all out on a Smokeless Rig. The way i see it, If I’m gonna have a Modern Muzzleloader, Why Stop half way there? :)

Last edited:
TC Triumph, CVA Accura MR. Would be my choices for you. As others have stated running shots should be last resort. How ever I took it to mean you want a rifle that will be carried on drives, or carried for stalk and shoot were the game might be moving rather than standing still. The above rifles Will work out for you.

Latest posts

Back