Best handling rifle for running game.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To suggest that the poster should use whatever gun fits him or handles well is a totally nutty idea. All of the different style guns and manufactures makes it impossible to check them all out. Can someone please tell me where I can handle a Knight Ultra Light or a Z5 Omega. The poster asked for an opinion and he should get that. To simply say whatever suits him is a worthless answer to his question.
No it isn’t, I can walk into a place like KTP and handle a dozen plus new and used offerings and any gun can be altered if it’s close.

If you can go into somewhere and handle dozens of guns then I guess that the poster can also...... or maybe not. I respect your opinion but will have to disagree. I think the poster deserves an opinion like he asked for.

Encore 209 x 50 is a nice handling BP gun. I shot a number of running deer with mine before I went smokeless. My SML is also a break open. Virtually any break open gun will be quick on running deer. I shorten the length of pull to 12 1/2 inches.

Encore 209 x 50 is a nice handling BP gun. I shot a number of running deer with mine before I went smokeless. My SML is also a break open. Virtually any break open gun will be quick on running deer. I shorten the length of pull to 12 1/2 inches.
Not that's a good reply.

Did you ever shoot at a deer and have your bullet deflected by a sapling or branch not visible in the scope? It happens and can result in a bullet not striking where you intended.

Did you ever shoot at a deer and have your bullet deflected by a sapling or branch not visible in the scope? It happens and can result in a bullet not striking where you intended.
If you hunt in thick woods this will happen eventually. The further the branch is from the target the more it will deflect the bullet.

I can't be positive that anyone will put in the trigger time to be proficient at 200yds+. But, I can assure you, there are shooters that are not proficient at 50yds.

Drop down to the long range forum. Drop down to the smokeless section. Many of your questions can be answered there.

But, my rifle will put 5 into a single hole at 100yds and shoot .3moa at 600yds. Others are better.

No way would I say that there are not those who have no clue what they're doing. That's evident in some posts. However and again, there are many long range hunters and shooters on this site.

Inline Hunters Match May 2020 | Precision Muzzle Loading at the NMLRA - YouTube

July 2020 APEX HUNTER Long Range Precision Muzzle Loading Rifle Match | NMLRA - YouTube

Long Range Muzzle Loading SHOOT OFF | Blackhorn 209 | Precision Rifles - YouTube

500 YARD ML SHOOT OFF - 2018 Midwest Muzzleloader Classic - YouTube
Thank you for the links, there goes another Saturday night!

Again, not casting aspersions on the shooters on this board. Just hadn’t heard of muzzleloading rifles that compete with with centerfire benchrest rifles given the shooter has the same level of ability.

I am very happy to have found this board. I’ve always enjoyed blackpowder and traditionally styled rifles but for many years when shooting with other muzzleloaders I found that they didn’t understand that their round ball rifles weren’t the only game in the traditional town.

Again, not casting aspersions on the shooters on this board. Just hadn’t heard of muzzleloading rifles that compete with with centerfire benchrest rifles given the shooter has the same level of ability.

Smokeless Muzzleloaders, They can be made to outperform most any Centerfire Cartridge gun with ease. For example, a .338 Lapua Magnum is a well known BIG Powerhouse Long Range Cartridge Gun, a 300 Grain Bullet with a Muzzle Velocity of about 2,800 Fps
Now take Jeff Hankins .45 Cal Smokeless Muzzleloader he calls “Cyclops” He is Pushing a 350 Grain Bullet at 3,800 FPS MV, No That’s NOT a Typo! There is a Video of it, titled “The Worlds Most Powerful Muzzleloader“ I am not gonna link it here, it has been seen here over n over. Go look it up on Youtube, it’s IMPRESSIVE to say the least. He sizzles a Bullet through AR500 Armor Plate Steel like Butter :D He evaporates a Deers Head in another Video.

Hankin’s rifle is a HEAVY Bench Rifle, Definately NOT something you are gonna Tote around. But This gives you an idea of what these Smokeless Muzzleloader Rigs are Capable of, INCREDIBLE HORSEPOWER is a GROSS understatement

They shoot Groups with these Rigs that will Hang with, and Rival some of the best Centerfire stuff out there

For a rifle, a Remington 760/7600 pump is as good as it gets. These carry the best, pull up fast, shoot fast and don't malfunction. The Benoits and Hal Blood are some of the best trackers with a lot of running kills under their belts and chose these rifles.
I have to admit that I carry my Patriot muzzleloader even during rifle. It carry's even better. After 15 miles in a day you notice it. To pull up and shoot quick, within 2-3 seconds, a cross bolt safety is way better than cocking a hammer. Especially when wearing gloves and having a scope in the way.

As per the title I have shot running deer quite a while back and harvested a few of them probably missed 90%. I haven't shot at a running animal in many years. We owe our quarry a clean humane kill IMO.

As per the title I have shot running deer quite a while back and harvested a few of them probably missed 90%. I haven't shot at a running animal in many years. We owe our quarry a clean humane kill IMO.
I have to agree that anyone who misses 90% of his shots at running deer should not take them. Shooting partridge with a shotgun is a hell of a lot harder than shooting a running deer. I've only shot a half dozen running deer in the last 20 years but have missed none. If the shot is there I instantly take it. Hesitation is the enemy. Waiting for the planets to line up before you shoot is a sure way to miss. Using a muzzle loader makes no difference to me as I always used a single shot rifle anyway.

There is a Huge difference between shooting a target, from a rest, good lighting, and with the time and ability to dope the wind, at 250 yards. I'm sure plenty of respondents here could do that. But shooting at a big game animal at that range , is just foolish. That deer takes just one step between the time you pull the trigger and the bullet arrives and you have a "gut shot".
Not very ethical in my book, sound like some folks should concentrate on becoming better "hunters", instead of better target shooters! Just my 2cents worth

Back