BH 209 ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusticbob

Reaction score
I shoot a T/C Triumph with two T7 pellets. I recently picked up a can of BH209 and want to try it. The Triumph shoots great at 100 yds with T7, am I going to gain anything going to BH209?
I am shooting T/C 250gr Shockwave sabots.

From what I've been reading here, it appears you could achieve the same results by using a bit less of the Blackhorn. Range time will tell the story.

If you're shooting 50 grain pellets I'd start with 100 grains of bh209 by volume. Should give you very near the same accuracy and poi. My Accura likes a 250 grain pill to be delivered with 77 weighed grains of BH209 [110 by volume] and the two guns are very close in likenesses. Start at the 110[v] and try 10 grains either side of that to see if one direction or the other shows better performance.

I will try it for sure, but with only 10oz of BH209 to play with, it would be nice to have a starting place.

Ballistically, I think you'll find the two powders so close together that using one at the range and the other in the deer stand just makes sense. In the field you want a carefree reload. BH gives you that. Plus, it's as close to weatherproof as you can get. Not so with T7.

Honestly, I think you will find your sweet spot with BH somewhere between 100 and 110 grains by volume Rustic. The money spent on the BH is simply a very good insurance policy, but be sure you are using shotshell reloading primers, not the muzzleloader primers. Winchester 209, CCI and Federal 209A are great primers to use when hunting. I use Winchester 209 primers.

At the club I shoot T7 fffg granulation, same charge weight as the bh 209 in each of the three guns I hunt with and they shoot identical to the same weighed charge of BH 209. I will not hunt with T7, period.

Ballistically, I think you'll find the two powders so close together that using one at the range and the other in the deer stand just makes sense. In the field you want a carefree reload. BH gives you that. Plus, it's as close to weatherproof as you can get. Not so with T7.

Honestly, I think you will find your sweet spot with BH somewhere between 100 and 110 grains by volume Rustic. The money spent on the BH is simply a very good insurance policy, but be sure you are using shotshell reloading primers, not the muzzleloader primers. Winchester 209, CCI and Federal 209A are great primers to use when hunting. I use Winchester 209 primers.

At the club I shoot T7 fffg granulation, same charge weight as the bh 209 in each of the three guns I hunt with and they shoot identical to the same weighed charge of BH 209. I will not hunt with T7, period.
Just the kind of info I was looking for. That’s why I check this forum every day, thanks all?
Sounds like 100 gr by volume would work, I will respond back After I shoot it.

In CO you can’t use pellets or scopes. Iron sights and loose powder only. Where I hunt elk it’s difficult to get a second shot with a bolt gun much less a smoke pole. Yes 777 is dirty and leaves a crud ring but I can shoot 3 times with out cleaning in between shots. Make cleaning harder so I don’t usually do it. I also hunt AZ and pretty much anything goes in the Wild Wild West.

I would agree with Ron. I suspect you will be closer to your 777 load at around 90 gr by volume.

My brother and I shoot 90-95 gr of BH for our elk loads. Not sure why people want to spend more money and have more recoil than they need.

A day at the range is so much nicer with BH. It was amazing the first time I shot 30 times without swabbing once. Also, don’t worry near as much about BH causing rust.

how did it go shooting it?

Back