BH209 Cleaning question-opinion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowbender6

Reaction score
BH209 Cleaning question-opinion
Between me and my family I have about 4 -.45 and 5- .50 caliber muzzleloaders. It seem that some of them change point of impact more than others after they have set or been cleaned. I have just started to work on solving this situation but thought I would seek input from others to see what they do. What I have tried with BH209 is not to swab or leave the barrel dirty. The accuracy has been excellent this way. If it is going to be more than a couple of days I will shoot to unload and leave dirty. I never bring the gun in from the cold unless in a case and it sits in my cold walk-out basement until condensation is not a problem. Sometimes it seems that there is moisture after the shot inside the end of the barrel. Some guns the first shot POI might be 4-6? and some are within an inch. What do you guys do to get consistency? I tried swabbing but the accuracy went down. Clean after shots? The heavier the bullet it seems the less affected. Thought? Opiniosn?

I clean my gun with either Hoppes or Blackhorn 209 solvent then dry the barrel and run a light patch of Montana X-treme bore conditioner down and back out the barrel. Before a range session or hunting I dry swab the barrel then snap a primer. The primer dries up any oil in the breech plug and puts some fouling in the bore. I then run a dry patch down and out to distribute the fouling. I must say with Blackhorn 209 my first shot is usually right in the bull or within an inch. Even if I forget to swab the bore conditioner out the first shot is usually right on the money.

I do not think you need to worry about the first shot being way off with BH209. I do not swab between shots either with BH209.

I use the same method as Smyers717.

First shot POI becomes very close and gets better after several treatments of the MX Bore Conditioner.

Maybe I am just lucky but my gun is the same POI from a clean or "dirty" barrel with BH 209. I just dry swab the barrel to get rid of any oil.

stinkworm

Ive noticed some load combinations, calibers ect seem to be far more effected than others.

Back