Blackhorn 209.... another post

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Has anyone that has the new BH from Hodgdon verified your VOLUME charges by weight?

Setting a quality volume measure at 120grs, throwing a few charges and verify them by weight?

Haven't measured 120g. Have measured 80 grain,

80g = 59g This is lot 41 from Hodgdon.

This ratio has120g weighing 88.5g
Thanks for the reply and info.
I have three volume measures and all three of them match in volume. I actually have one BH209 tube that's mark is correct. LOL
I'll have to check the lot number (tomorrow) but, I used all 3 of the volume measures and weighed out 3 of each. I'm getting an average of 96.1grs from all three :wall:
This is by far the largest difference in volume to weight difference I've ever had. I'm verifying weight using BOTH my digital and balance beam scales.
One thing I noticed is that the BH cylinders are much shorter. With them shorter I could most likely get more weight in the measure even though the volume is still 120grs.
I've heard of one other that ended up with 95grs by weight for 120grss volume.

I’m currently shooting 70 grains by weight. In two different types of tubes, the volume looks to be a few grains over 90. The 70 grains shoots excellently for me.

Why worry about comparison, just weigh it. Lot of error when using volume hard to line up everything accurately.

Basically because in the past the weight changes from lot-to-lot. And I would disagree with a lot of error by volume. But it is not like a little error when loading true Smokeless powders.

One thing I noticed is that the BH cylinders are much shorter. With them shorter I could most likely get more weight in the measure even though the volume is still 120grs.

According to TB the powder in the Federal FiddleSticks IS BH209 but a finer grade. Maybe Hodgdon is now shipping it all out in the finer grade. :think:

To me it doesn't seem like the density of Blackhorn has changed much from what it used to be when Western Powders had it. Back then it was noticed by many that density of Blackhorn changed from lot to lot. Myself tried as much as possible to purchase 5 pound jugs of Blackhorn so that it was not necessary to constantly adjust the powder drop to accommodate the constant Blackhorn density changes.

One may find it interesting that lot 41 currently from Hodgdon has the same density as lot 33 from Western Powders had.

According to TB the powder in the Federal FiddleSticks IS BH209 but a finer grade. Maybe Hodgdon is now shipping it all out in the finer grade. :think:

Took a closeup photo of the cylinders and they have the hole. Lot #39

BH by Hodgdon.JPG

Why worry about comparison, just weigh it. Lot of error when using volume hard to line up everything accurately.

My hope is to shoot a match at 1,000 yards and follow the rules. ;)

Spent pretty much most of the morning checking on the charges and methods. To me...... those pieces of propellant seem small compared to what used to be ???
I went back to the basics and got out a big bowl to load my volume measure over. I loaded my volume measure (120grs) the same way Jeff loaded his in his video. No tapping just filling till it over flowed and scraped off the excess flat.
After weighing out a number of them, the average came back at 92.15grs I can live with that.
What it still means is that each lot can and most likely will weigh different. Its best to check it by volume, determine the average thrown and go with that weight.

so that is changing your velocity how much . If you got 92 by volume then just go by volume on your charge and see what velocity you get.

Last edited:
Took a closeup photo of the cylinders and they have the hole. Lot #39

View attachment 20015

My hope is to shoot a match at 1,000 yards and follow the rules. ;)
You better start practicing exclusively from prone [or sitting] X-sticks with no rear rest. It is different and takes some time to learn before it becomes second nature.
At least you will be firing on 1000 yard targets with "wings" on each side. The normal 1000 yard target is 6X6 feet. The "wing" is a 2 foot wide extension on each side of the target making the whole target 6X10 feet. 10 shots for score, unlimited sighters. Pair firing. 60 minute time limit. Your first L.R. match is really a learning experience............how to manage your time, how to arrange your equipment, load effeciently, and a dozen other little things, etc. etc. Real;ly hope you enjoy yourself and do well. X

Its all about having fun shooting and the first time at 1K. I do have a slight issue beyond not shooting prone. I have a 20moa mount and 100moa of total adjustment in the scope. At 2150fps rather its a 300gr or 325gr bullet, I'm at minimum 6moa short on adjustment. Need 71moa according to JBM.

Latest posts

Back