Blackhorn 209.....WTH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so back to your original post Shiner, I would like to buy your 10 oz minus 120 grains of BH 209 as now my source to acquire has dried up. Alas there is no way to ship it 🥴
You find a way, and pay the shipping, it's yours. I see no advantage at all over Triple 7. I have driven a 250 Grain Barnes TEZ over 2,600 fps with 777, so it's there if I ever see a need for speed. (No need to borrow it lol)

As an experiment I dropped in 1- 60 gr. pellet, and 2 -50 pellets over it, thinking it would be the equivalent of 160. I knew that 3- 50 gr. pellets gave 1975 fps . Big surprise 2,679 fps!

Why don't you try it yourself, no guts?.....don't ask me to try it again. I guess it could have been a chronograph glitch (first one ever), but I really have no need to verify it, and besides, I]m really ok with my face the way it is now.

Most of all my old data I put someplace where I could find it. LOL

Pushing 180grs of T7 in my old BP Xpress, I could JUST hit 2300fps.

Ultimate 300gr SST w 180grs pellets.JPG

I'll compare a 200gr bullet shot with 100grs BY WEIGHT of BH209 from my custom. Do NOT use that charge in any production rifle.

200gr FTX.png

I'm not saying it didn't happen and/or read over 2,600fps. Its just an unusually high number having shot thousands of rounds at 180grs using 3 T7M pellets (60grs) and about every manner of bullet/s.

I finally got to the range for my first BH209 trial with the correct breech plug. Excuse me, but I must have gotten the worst batch ever produced! My Triple 7 pellets clean up with 2 pre wetted patches using both sides......the BH took 5 patches both sides and I could STILL get some color on a wet patch if I tried. So I'm calling BS on the "cleaner" claims. To me, it's good old black powder with a different label. AND STINKS JUST LIKE IT. No more cleaning in the house.
Well, I guess if you don't care enough to learn how to deal what you're working with them you deserve to struggle with it.
You can't clean BH209 with water. And if you'd bothered to learn your propellant you'd know that. Fortunately everything else is still available to you...and I'll not have to compete against you for powder supply. I appreciate it.

Almost sounds as if I'm being led to believe that somehow smokeless and or semi smokeless powder is somehow immune to contamination from direct contact with petroleum-based solvents......no?

You seem to be having issues following the topic so Encore posted a picture to help you. I never said anything about a bad surprise did i? I said it wont hit 2600fps+ with 3 mag pellets. So i cant imagine how you got it with less powder. ;)

Last edited:
Almost sounds as if I'm being led to believe that somehow smokeless and or semi smokeless powder is somehow immune to contamination from direct contact with petroleum-based solvents......no?
Again please read what was posted. Go read Westerns website also. They recommend cleanup with typical center fire solvents. They always have. Those solvents are often petroleum based. Just look at the SDS files for them. Its easy. There is no mystery for this.

I don't know what the hell you're talking about...
We were talking about you apparently trying clean BH 209 with the same methods you'd use to clean Triple 7...at least I was anyway. You can't clean up BH209 with water as you found out.🤷

I authored this thread and I respond according to what interests me if that's ok with you.

HOPPES #9 ! Smells great and cleans BH209, cheap and available darn near everywhere. Did I mention that it smells great?
I totally agree with the "it smells great" comment. Reminds me of my grandfathers basement. When we would go visit, I always wanted to look at his guns and that is what he used to clean them all. So every time I smell it, I go back to those days, as a kid, spending time with my grandfather. Makes me smile just thinking about it

Back