Bullet and sabot size.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot the THZ, but have to swap the sabot out for a HPH24. Nice and snug, but the sabots that come with the ammo, (the yellow ones), are WAY too tight for my T/C.

charpentier_eric said:
Have a very hard time loading barns and hornady sst. Switch to pr elite extrem, load realy easy and accurate as Hell with 100 gr bh209. Tc impact.

Im not sure why they would be easier to load. PR uses MMP sabots and the smallest MMP sabot is the 3P-EZ. All the most recent SSTs come with the 3P-EZ but its red instead of black. The only thing that comes to mind is PR might be sizing their 45cal bullets smaller than .451 or .452. SSTs are around .452 and Barnes 45cal bullets are about .451.

I thought PR was using the MMP HPH-24 for the majority of their 50x45s. Those are about .003 larger than a 3P-EZ sabot. :huh?:

GM54-120 said:
"charpentier_eric" said:
Have a very hard time loading barns and hornady sst. Switch to pr elite extrem, load realy easy and accurate as Hell with 100 gr bh209. Tc impact.

Im not sure why they would be easier to load. PR uses MMP sabots and the smallest MMP sabot is the 3P-EZ. All the most recent SSTs come with the 3P-EZ but its red instead of black. The only thing that comes to mind is PR might be sizing their 45cal bullets smaller than .451 or .452. SSTs are around .452 and Barnes 45cal bullets are about .451.

I thought PR was using the MMP HPH-24 for the majority of their 50x45s. Those are about .003 larger than a 3P-EZ sabot. :huh?:
I never took the effort to measure sabot size. Just tried all that was availlable in my area. Pr bullet work so well for me I chose them for my pet load. May order some scorpion pt with crush rib sabot, so many good review. How do you select sabot in relation to bore size?

The easiest way to test fit is to buy or trade into a few and check yourself. The few you have leftover can be traded off, sold, or given to a buddy with a different bore.

With 50 cal, just decide what bullets you plan to shoot, usually .451-.452, or 44 cal bullets in .429" or so. I usually go with .452" bullets in my 50 cal. With the same sabot you could try both .451 and .452 bullets.

This could all be tested at home, before a range trip. Just don't go to far stuffing an impossible fit down the bore.

After this testing, reloading while hunting is a breeze, after the range sight in. If you see your buddy pushing his ramrod against a tree, help him get the right bore fit.

So to be clear alaska viking your shooting the tmz with mmp hph 24? That's very interesting. I haven't been able to get tmz to shoot out of triumph or Optima accurately regardless of fit. Something to try over the winter after hunting season.

When you get to the point where you enjoy all the experimenting with sabots and bullets I think that shows you're hooked on muzzleloading. To me that's fun. I have so many bullets and sabots anymore I think my bullets and sabots have bullets and sabots.

Yes, the Barnes TMZ using the HPH 24 sabot. Connie, at MMP was also surprised that I was having such luck with that combo, as my understanding is that the HPH24 is designed for a flat base bullet.
I use the same sabot for the Nosler Partition 260 grain HG bullets. She suggested I take a set of toe nail clippers and trim about 1/4" off the sabots when using the stubby Partitions, but I have not tried that yet.

Latest posts

Back