Bullet and sabot size.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcwn

Reaction score
So I have added a 50 cal. Barrel to my encore line up. I am shooting black horn 209 100 grains by vol. CCI 209M. I have had one hell of a time getting these barns bullets to slide down the barrel. Don't get me wrong I can get them to seat, but only after what I consider a bit of a fight. I called TC, and much to my pleasure they were very helpful and great to talk to. So after a bit of conversation I've found out that TC barrel tolerance can be a bit to tight sometimes. Also with that being said the barrels on the encore prefer a .451, but not much more than a .452. TC was more than happy to lap the barrel at no cost, but something valuable I learned here was some muzzle loaders have a very specific load set up. Almost as if it's own identity when it comes to powder, primers, and bullets. TC said to do some research spend some time shooting different load set ups. They also recommended getting down to the wire and verifying bullet size, as some mass produced bullets may not always come out the same size. Anyways just thought I would share this with y'all. I thought the whole thing to be very educating, cause I simply don't know everything I need to know about muzzle loading.

Harvester Crushed Rib sabots are easier-loading with those Barnes bullets. Google-search them for various stores that sell Harvester.

If its the Barnes TMZ that's loading hard, Harvester sells a crushed rib (yellow) specific to the boattail designed Barnes.

The T-EZ should load easier, unless you've tried that.

I also shoot a T/C, and had a heck of a time getting the TMZ's to load with the factory sabot. I found that the MMP HPH24 made life much better, and accuracy is astounding in my rifle.

Barnes tez have mmp hph-24 sabots should fit tc great

This is why I love this web site. You guys are great, thanks for the much needed input. Again awesome practical replies from this group of folks.

Had a friend with the same problem will have to give him this info. Blake

Had same problem with a traditions (almost took sledge hammer to load)- got some 3 petal sabots (Black 3Petal-EZ from MMP)- shoot 45 colt bullets + 100gr blackhorn - load very easy - 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds - rifle is now a pleasure to shoot and clean.

The good news is once you find the bullet/sabot combo that gives you the right fit, you are set. In general T/C is known to have tighter bores, compared to Knight and some others. Some bullets are .451 some .452(45 cal), the slight variation with 44 cal bullets.

You need to match the bullet to the sabot, then the particular bore. If to tight the first logical choice is to try the 'crush rib' sabot for whatever size bullet you use. You can vary the bullet size slightly or if needed go to a sabot that would be more forgiving.

I use a crush rib sabot in my 45 & 50 cal Knights, even though I can load them with most standard sabots. I like the bore fit better, especially with a dirty bore, accuracy has been just fine.

I also had a problem loading the TMZ down my encore barrel. Ive found that using the SST with supplied red sabot and that the barnes TEZ with the supplied blue sabot both load about right in mine. I am getting 1" and less if I can do my part at 100 yards with either bullet shooting 100 grains of bh and a win primer

Hallelujah everybody, I picked up a pack of barns TEZ, and what a difference. So being what I would consider a newbie to muzzle loading I've got yo say the TEZ fits just right in my encore. I managed 2" shot groups with even a couple touching each other. I simply ran a dry patch through the barrel every couple rounds. I'm loving this muzzle loader stuff. Thanks again everybody for the input, and advice.

And the really good news....The TEZ sabot is the same as the MMP HPH-24 sabots you can buy in 50 packs. Its just a different color. Combine them with any .451 or possibly .452 bullet of your choice for a similar fit.

The Harvester black smooth is also very similar is size. I prefer the shorter one they offer.

My Vortek Striker fire and my brothers Omega are bears to load. I've tried the TC Shockwaves and I just got some Barnes TEZ and even those are too tight. I have tried the Federal BOR LOC bullets and they load easy, but I haven't had a chance to do much accuracy testing with those. So, should I try to pic up some of the crush ribs?

I can't seem to get on the Harvester website, is there a certain one I should get? I tried to measure the bore on my vortek and land to land it looks like its .499 to .500 tough to measure, lol I'd like to get some so i can run these Barnes 290's through.

weazer said:
I can't seem to get on the Harvester website, is there a certain one I should get? I tried to measure the bore on my vortek and land to land it looks like its .499 to .500 tough to measure, lol I'd like to get some so i can run these Barnes 290's through.

Worked for me just a bit ago.

https://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com/ ... rib-sabots

Cabela's also sells them.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting ... _104547780

Graf and Sons,

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/cat ... oryId/3402?

Yea that's interesting, the website works here from work, but not from home. Thanks

weazer said:
Yea that's interesting, the website works here from work, but not from home. Thanks

A few things (that I'm aware of) could be blocking that website at home.

Web Browser settings
Antivirus software
Firewall
Cookie settings

What's odd is that the blockage usually occurs on the work computer and is free as-a-bird on the home computer. Your problem is 180 degrees opposite.

Have a very hard time loading barns and hornady sst. Switch to pr elite extrem, load realy easy and accurate as Hell with 100 gr bh209. Tc impact.

Latest posts

Back