Cleaning between shots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T444M

Reaction score
Hi all
ML10-2 owner here.
When at the range, how often do you other smokeless guys find yourselves cleaning between shots?
In the past Ive cleaned the bore between every shot or everyother. It became hard to load and habit from shooting black.
So shooting slow, like every 5 minutes at least, what is a realistic expectation for being able to reload without cleaning?
.452 Hornadys #45230 and Black MMP sabots over 5744.
Im suspecting that maybe 5744 is a little dirty?
It does shoot great though...

I used to over clean. Now I never clean until after the season is over. Never had trouble with loading but I do pull the BP to make sure everything is clean in the orifices and not too large.

I don't clean between rounds when shooting SML, but I never use sabots. I do however have a range rod with a brass brush with me. If the rifle sets a long time for what ever reason, I will run the brush down it.

I never clean my Whitelightings at the range. I just think if I'm hunting I'll never get time to clean the barrel. Oh yes when I get home the first thing I do is clean them.

Hi all
ML10-2 owner here.
When at the range, how often do you other smokeless guys find yourselves cleaning between shots?
In the past Ive cleaned the bore between every shot or everyother. It became hard to load and habit from shooting black.
So shooting slow, like every 5 minutes at least, what is a realistic expectation for being able to reload without cleaning?
.452 Hornadys #45230 and Black MMP sabots over 5744.
Im suspecting that maybe 5744 is a little dirty?
It does shoot great though...
I use IMR 4198 and a sized bullet of .4501" and it burns very clean and white powder look. It is easy to reload up to 4 shots and at the point the friction becomes noticeable enough that I run a nylon brush down the bore and a dry patch to follow. Then I will end the shooting session with the brush and dry patch for each additional shot. I like to hunt with my gun so I want it to shoot very close to the first clean bore shot for each outting.

I've loaded and fired my Lightings up to 10 times at the range, the bullets (460gr roll my own) still go down the barrel with just one finger pressure. I resize them to .500 my barrels are .503 and .502.

Using VV110 helps as it is very clean burning.

Bench rest shooters cannot clean their rifles between shots, but often produce very small groups.

I also use IMR4198 in my smokeless High Velocity rifles.

As others here have said, you are looking for consistency.
You can clean after every shot if you wanted, but it is really not necessary with smokeless powder.

I fire at least one shot to foul the bore slightly, and then go from there.

5744 is the dirtiest of the recommended powders. But if good groups are being had with it in your rifle there isn't a great need to change. Just count the number of shots until loading becomes very difficult and plan to do a bit of cleaning at that count.

If you clean between shots with a flint lock, you have to be careful not to plug the touch hole with residue.

I didn't know a muzzle loader had a smokeless section. Shouldn't that be with cartridge rifles??

No it should not. That is why we have sections for different kinds of rifles. :D Modern/Smokeless/Inlines/Sidelocks ect ect. They are all somewhat different.

Smokeless Muzzleloading

Loads, tips, and shooting for the Savage muzzleloader, SMI smokeless and other muzzleloaders approved for smokeless ONLY. Warning! Smokeless powder loads are not for use in any other muzzleloaders.

The OP is asking about a Savage MLII so its in the correct section.

More or less never until im done shooting. Even when using 5744 which is the dirtiest ive tried. Many smokeless rifles tend to like being shot fouled. So if its shooting good and a hunt is not far off just leave the bore dirty. Sighting in a week or two before a hunt wont be a problem with smokeless. Just wipe down the outside and leave the bore fouled. Make sure the breech plug is clean and the vent liner (flash hole) is within spec.

Some powders like N110 are so clean the patch has minimal fouling on it when you do clean it. 5744 is double based and they all tend to be dirtier powders. Re7 is also sort of dirty but really dependable if shooting a 300gr bullet.

Thank you everyone for your input. 😁
My reason for asking was strictly due to the difficulty loading after a couple shots. Otherwise it’s not an Issue. With my 45-70, 444 marlin etc I always go hunting with a fouled bore and clean end of season. I’ve never slugged the bore but I’m guessing it’s tight.
I’ve also never shot anything but 5744 in it.
As a reloader for the above mentioned cartridge rifles I do have IMR 4198 so maybe that’s an idea.
I’m waiting patiently to get back out now. New breech plug, SS vent liner and spin jag.
Also thanks to a friend now have 1K Win 209s inbound. They were $55 plus haz but there was a 15% off code.

Latest posts

Back