Conicals in a Knight Super DISC .45?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
samwilliamson said:
No Excuses boat tail lead in yellow Harvester. 250, 300, 350, and 400.
b22d11dc12a709f7acea55d1b518f657.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Those yellow Crush Rib sabots are for .50 caliber rifles, shooting .45 cal swaged lead boatail bullets.

This is what happens when you shoot .40 cal 350 grain swaged lead boatail bullets in a Knight .45 cal 1:30 twist.

This is what happens when you shoot 3 of the same bullets as above in a White .451 cal 1:20 twist at 100 yards.

This is what happens when you shoot .358 cal 200 grain flat based FTX saboted bullets in a Knight .45 cal 1:30 twist.

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 151
  • 006-8.jpg
    006-8.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 151
This is what happens when you shoot 3 unsized Hornady .452" 300 grain SST bullets (straight out of the package) in a Knight .45 caliber 1:20 twist over a .50 caliber felt wad with a maximum charge of Blackhorn 209.

Attachments

• 014 (1).jpg
    014 (1).jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 148
I see your points. I mentioned the NE 350 in yellow, but forgot to mention that I was thinking of shooting them in my Accura .50 1:28. I never had the conicals shoot thru my CVA and tumble like that. They were just 4-6" groups. My CVA is 1:28. That 2" dif in twist will make that big of a dif with long bullets?

I know you guys understand when i say i want to see it for myself. I believe most ML shooters are this way. I have all these dif bullets around and i keep thinking "what happens if i do this?"

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Conicals in a Knight Super DISC .45?

samwilliamson said:
Thanks, i am going to try to get one of those and see how i like it. Did you cast them pure lead or alloy?
I start out with pure lead with a new bullet. Can’t recall having a hard lead bullet shoot any better than soft.
I also use SPG lube. Depending on my bore diameter fit, I may run them thru a sizer to just make contact with the lands.
Good luck.

Re: RE: Re: Conicals in a Knight Super DISC .45?

GM54-120 said:
I think you misunderstood.

While they do make some heavy lead bullets for sabots such as the new NoExcuses and Precision Rifle bullets....Im talking about 250ish grain jacketed 40cals in 45cal sabots. Fury custom bullets has a couple pretty cool ones and you will need a 1-24 or faster for best results. A 1-28 does pretty good upto around 230ish grains depending on bullet length. Its not the weight that kills you its the length. Also depends on how fast you can shoot them. I can go pretty darn fast in my custom 45cal so its not a big deal.

This is a Fury 250gr 40cal in a Harvester sabot next to a 200gr SST.
hJoUBFl.jpg

This is a Pittman Accumax 402. The one on the far left is a 225gr but its also 1.27" long. Chances are very slim you will ever get it to shoot well in anything slower than a 1-22.
cache_901688103.JPG
I have been and will continue to hunt with the 200sst in a blue Harvester cr in the 45. And 250tmz in my Accura. I just want to try different bullets and try to get a feel for what effects the changes have.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Conicals in a Knight Super DISC .45?

[/quote]
I start out with pure lead with a new bullet. Can’t recall having a hard lead bullet shoot any better than soft.
I also use SPG lube. Depending on my bore diameter fit, I may run them thru a sizer to just make contact with the lands.
Good luck.[/quote]

I make my own lube and also size or knurl depends on what it needs. My CVA needed
.454 but this Knight seems to need .451.

Gm54-120
Now i also want to try those Fury star tips. Are they as devastating as the look, on deer?

52Bore said:
samwilliamson said:
Thanks, i am going to try to get one of those and see how i like it. Did you cast them pure lead or alloy?
Good luck.

Rick, Have you shot many Grease Groove bullets sized to just Touch the lands on the way down?

I have had better Overall luck with a harder bullet, 1-40, 1-30, and even 1-20 Alloy.

samwilliamson said:
Gm54-120
Now i also want to try those Fury star tips. Are they as devastating as the look, on deer?

Ron's water jug test on the 40cal 225gr looked very promising. Good penetration, beautiful mushroom and around 200gr weight retention. Looks extremely good especially for a bullet that $44/50.
IMG_2961.JPG

Idaholewis said:
Rick, Have you shot many Grease Groove bullets sized to just Touch the lands on the way down?
I have had better Overall luck with a harder bullet, 1-40, 1-30, and even 1-20 Alloy.
In these in-lines, I’ve shot a lot at GG. I size all of MY bullets to fit my bore as you describe above- you can see the lands on the bullet, but the fit is such you really don’t feel each grove engage when loading.
Haven’t seen a bullet yet worth paying $$$ for that can do more than what I’ve see/done with lead.

Thanks to all your inputs, i just bought another .45 knight. 1:20 i should receive it midweek

samwilliamson said:
Thanks to all your inputs, i just bought another .45 knight. 1:20 i should receive it midweek

So, you're trying to say we are enablers?

You'll like that one much better than the 1:30. So many more options.

Re: RE: Re: Conicals in a Knight Super DISC .45?

Busta said:
samwilliamson said:

So, you're trying to say we are enablers?

You'll like that one much better than the 1:30. So many more options.
I like that. Enabler sounds much more positive than "bad influence".

Also, i love all my guns equally.

Ok Enablers! I got my .45 1-20. I bought it off of armslist. Took it apart to clean and inspect. It has this really nice OD green Duracote on it and the bore looks beautiful. It came with a Nikon Prostaff 4x that seems like a decent hunting scope. I am going to have fun with this for sure. MZL season here is Dec 1-17 so i have time to get something worked up. I tagged out on bucks but i can fill a couple doe tags. Super excited.
BTW. Any suggestions on loads? I have a box of .451 in 300 grain from Montana Precision and a box of .451 NE385. As well as a Lee mold for .454 405grn.
I plan to start tomorrow with BH209 70grV
with w209s and the NE385s. I also have a Lehigh bp and extreme bolt setup for it that I'll put in tonite along with a synthetic TH stock of the other Knight.
Sorry for going on, Christmas is a month early for me!
5884c037c352ea2324f642d80c82456e.jpg

Now all i have to do is shim the primer pocket and get to the range tomorrow.
b858ff372d3e8a6a35dfcb3cffa6298c.jpg

Latest posts

Back