Converted Paramount

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the primers backing out, if you were familiar with Arrowhead’s bolt head you would see why the primers back out and make it difficult to extract the module.
Well they don't back out of these rifles, nor does the breech plug leak, nor do the modules leak. Oh my......... It's Arrowhead products too!
No problem extracting modules.......... EVER.

IMG_2025.JPG

100_4489.JPG

I’m using modules and the barrel is a Brux #17 heavy varmint. Hankins breech plug and modules handle it fine with no excessive pressure. The arrowhead breech plug and arrowhead bolt head showed signs of excessive pressure at 65 grains and blew the primer at 72 grains, but what Luke had made for the Paramount clearly stated for the Paramount using Blackhorn209, so I have no complaint with Luke. I’ve used Arrowhead breech plugs in the Encore and other rifles with no leaks. I have been told that the problem with the Paramount breech plug is due to the positioning of the bushing. It is what it is. I have no problem with either Luke or Jeff. Happen to like and purchase from both of them. I also use the 78 grain load based upon conversations with both Jeff and Luke. I have access to a PhD in engineering who regularly works with missiles and large caliber guns. The 78 grain load was tested before use and found safe in the configuration tested. Since that time I’ve used that load in the range testing of the converted Paramounts we’ve done without any problems.
Big difference between leaking and blowing primers. Blowing primers is a pressure issue. Arrowhead gen2 will blow primers starting around 72gr depending on bullet weight and barrel length. HIS won’t because it’s not as efficient as arrowhead gen2 and has more room for gas expansion.

Jeff offers a $80 credit for trading in Arrowhead breech plugs for his. He says he has bucket loads of traded in breech plugs that had leaked. All I know for sure is mine leaked and I know you’re intimating I built mine wrong, but that’s not the case. Just stated my experience that’s all. Seems like I’m entitled to my own experience. I have not disputed that others didn’t leak nor tried to insult them.
Bucket loads. Wow 😂 Great advertisement . I hope you get at least 10% commission from Hankins .

I don’t get any commission. A question was posted on a Paramount conversion and I answered it. I doubt anyone here or even on this planet has converted more Paramounts to smokeless than I have. Hence, I answered the question and have to say, amusing the animosity it sparked.

I don’t get any commission. A question was posted on a Paramount conversion and I answered it. I doubt anyone here or even on this planet has converted more Paramounts to smokeless than I have. Hence, I answered the question and have to say, amusing the animosity it sparked.
that was a joke ... 😁

Last edited:
Ok its not my job to make the sandbox a nice place to visit. So i am of the opinion that we all have them n facts to back us up when we post. Now we all learn here n in the build shop, unless you have a safety issue do not disrupt another members findings. Thank you. I know Winter is going to end soon n we can get outside, have a good one

I’ve converted quite a few Paramounts to smokeless. My first three I used the Arrowhead breech plug. They all leaked and a 300 grain Pittman pushed by 72 grains of H4198 disintegrated my primer. I changed those three guns to Hankins ignitions and all the ones I built since are Hankins. No excess pressure, no blown primers and that includes a 300 grain Pittman pushed by 78 grains of H4198.
I suspect you were using the wrong Arrowhead modules. If you had used the hardened ones such as the ASG 217 units you might have had a different result. But no matter...it's seems you found a viable solution with the Hank's units.

Never said I was special, but I did say I have extensive experience converting Paramounts to smokeless. Too bad you have a problem with that, but that’s a fact.

Luke sent me the hardened modules after I told him about the problem I was having. Had the same problem with the hardened modules.
Tim if you were having leakage around the primers on the hard modules then you were way over pressure or something else was wrong with the setup.

If anyone believes hankins has "buckets" of arrowhead gen2 plugs from "trade-ins" I have beach front property in AZ for sale. I've seen one picture from him with a few arrowhead plugs. Most were UML plugs, probably from guys that did rebarrels or something.

I encourage anyone that's having leakage issues of any sort (HIS or Arrowhead) to reach out to me, and let's figure out what's going on. If there were "buckets" of defective plugs out there, I assume my phone would be ringing off the hook. When in actuality, I hear from a handful of people every year and majority of those are operator related.

[email protected]

Tim if you were having leakage around the primers on the hard modules then you were way over pressure or something else was wrong with the setup.
The same set up worked fine with the Hankins breech plug and modules.

Pay no mind...I for one appreciate your perspective and your experience. I have a 2019 Paramount with a .4535 overbored barrel that has posed some hard to overcome challenges getting it to shoot given the fact that there aren't very many (if any actually) options when it comes to bullets that fit. I refuse to use a sabot/bullet combination and I'm not a fan of knurling up bullets to fit either. Based on chronograph results, they create velocity spreads that don't lend themselves to the kind of accuracy it takes to keep me interested. I'd like to eventually get it converted to smokeless with a quality barrel but to be honest I can't justify $3000 to do it. I guess I probably never will. 40 years ago there were some competent gunsmiths in my area that could have done the job. They're all gone now.

Last edited:
The same set up worked fine with the Hankins breech plug and modules.
But wouldn't you have had to change head space to switch from the arrowhead paramount plug to the hankins plug? They don't head space out the same.

Got rid of Arrowheads bolt head attachment and made my own out of one piece of steel. That’s how I took care of the head space issue. If you Google paramount smokeless conversion the video showing what was done will come up on you tube. If someone knows what they’re doing, they can duplicate what I did from watching the video.

I appreciate your business
Got rid of Arrowheads bolt head attachment and made my own out of one piece of steel. That’s how I took care of the head space issue. If you Google paramount smokeless conversion the video showing what was done will come up on you tube. If someone knows what they’re doing, they can duplicate what I did from watching the video.
Ok so wasn't an apples to apples comparison then. Your head space was loose. If I was doing from scratch barrel installs on a paramount I would do a different bolt head too or at least make sure head was flush with the firing pin nipple on the paramount. But for drop in retrofits with CVA variation the head works great with BH209 loads.

Really misleading to say that HIS fixed your leakage when you totally redid everything lol.

Pay no mind...I for one appreciate your perspective and your experience. I have a 2019 Paramount with a .4535 overbored barrel that has posted some hard to overcome challenges getting it to shoot given the fact that there aren't very many (if any actually) options when it comes to bullets that fit. I refuse to use a sabot/bullet combination and I'm not a fan of knurling up bullets to fit either. Based on chronograph results, they create velocity spreads that don't lend themselves to the kind of accuracy it takes to keep me interested. I'd like to eventually get it converted to smokeless with a quality barrel but to be honest I can't justify $3000 to do it. I guess I probably never will. 40 years ago there were some competent gunsmiths in my area that could have done the job. They're all gone now.
I appreciate your business

Ok so wasn't an apples to apples comparison then. Your head space was loose. If I was doing from scratch barrel installs on a paramount I would do a different bolt head too or at least make sure head was flush with the firing pin nipple on the paramount. But for drop in retrofits with CVA variation the head works great with BH209 loads.

Really misleading to say that HIS fixed your leakage when you totally redid everything lol.
Headspace wasn’t loose. If you would read the thread I specifically say this happened with smokeless powder only. Did not happen with Blackhorn209. Nothing misleading. I called Luke, which I think is you and told you about the leakage and you had no answer. I replaced your bolt head with mine, still same problem. I then switched to Hankins with another new bolt head and no more problem and it’s been that way for all the Paramount conversions since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back