Cost for fast twist set up

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Possum

Reaction score
So, I've shot patched round ball for quite a while now & I guess I'm late to this game of putting a fast twist barrel on a traditional muzzleloader. Can anyone give me an average cost of doing this with a T/C Hawken? Is it better to buy a new barrel or buy one that is bad in say 45 cal & have it redone in a fast twist 54? I'm thinking it would be neat to be able to surprise some people by shooting an old sidelock & keeping up with the distance of their modern rifles.

I’m pretty sure no-one will take a 45 Hawken barrel out to 54cal. You could pick up a used 50cal Renegade for 200 bucks or so and for another 100 plus shippin’ to & from Robert Hoyt in Pennsylvania you can have anything your heart desires up to 58 or maybe even 62 caliber.

The other option is to look for a used Green Mountain LRH(long range hunter) fast twist drop-in barrel to go on the Hawken stock.

There are a couple of places that will build you a barrel but this usually requires you to furnish the breech plug and is quite a bit costlier.

A liner installed would probably be the easiest & cheapest- Especially if you’re wanting to go down in bore diameter.

Fast twist 54cal is rather uncommon. InvestArms made one but it was a 1-24. That is pretty snappy for a 54cal. 1-28 to 1-32 is plenty for a 54cal imo.

Rice and Oregon barrel offer some fast twist drop in barrels but im not sure if they do a 54cal. By the time you are done you are getting close to the cost of a whole new rifle such as the Pedersoli Hawkens Hunter. It is offered in a 54cal 1-24 also.

The Oregon drop-ins are about $350 in the white. You can specify twist. If long range is the goal though i would go with a 45cal 1-20.

The Rice drop-ins are around $395 but they are 4140cm. I dont think you get as much selection on twists and i dont see a 54cal fast twist listed as an option.

Last edited:
A liner installed would probably be the easiest & cheapest- Especially if you’re wanting to go down in bore diameter.

At around 8 bucks an inch plus shippin’ just the liner for a 28in TC Hawken barrel would be approachin’ 300 bucks. Then ya gotta have the donor barrel, and somebody to bore it & install the liner. Might be a way to go, especially for somethin’ exotic, but don’t believe it would be the cost effective way to go.

200 bucks for a Renegade and another hundred for the rebore/riflin’ sounds much better to my ears. Even after ya add in shippin’ to and from for the barrel job.

It wouldn't have to be a 54. My Hawken has a Green Mountain drop-in in it anyway. 1:66 roundball twist. I was thinking of a 36 or 40 & shooting some of the jacketed bullets.

While i like the idea of a 40cal it does have some issues.

45cal has way more bullet options and its easier on the nipples. Long range 40cal gets fairly expensive in the jacketed bullet selection. Lead would be easier and cheaper. Bullet sizing/resizing is also critical in this game.

My .50 cal 1/48 twist T/C Renegade shoots power belts really well at 200 yards and Roger Raglin had great results out of his with, I believe, Maxi Balls. What kinda distance you after? I never tried mine beyond 200. I put Williams sights on mine and got rid of the T/C sights. The front bead was just too course for my liking. After the eyes started to fail up close, I had it drilled and tapped for a scope and mounted a 1x scope on it, you might think it ruined the gun, but it was worthless to me not being able to focus on the bead. I had it zeroed at 200 and could hit a 9" paper plate every time, whether shooting PB or T/C ez glide 250's. it maintained a 4" group at 200 pretty consistently, not too shabby considering the 1x made the target look further away and the crosshairs were pretty coarse. Runs in my mind they are about 3moa. When you couldn't see the plate, you knew you were lined up.
I used to pack it and my White Whitetail every hunt I went on. The idea being the Whitetail zeroed at 100 and the Renegade 200. I always shot the Renegade first though cause it was in my hands and the Whitetail slung. I may have to put a better scope on it and try it at 3-400 yards. You have piqued my curiosity. I shot 777 out of it as well and it's the general notion, it doesn't do well in anything other than inlines. After I dropped the powder, I always leaned the gun towards the nipple and gave it a little tap. Whether that did anything or not, I have no idea, but it did go boom as reliably as my White. I have since switched back to Pyrodex Select in my White. Love to try real black but nobody in Southern Utah carries it, and I'm not about to pay hazmat fees to have it shipped, I have made my own black but I've only shot it in my sons .58 musket with round balls. I got into muzzleloading 38 years ago because it was inexpensive and gave an extra opportunity to hunt. My how things have changed.....

Back