CVA 'Electra' electronic ignition ML, anyone have/use/see 1?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smong2000

Reaction score
Very intrigueing concept, are we ready for it? Does anyone have any hands on or even 2cd hand knowledge of this weapon? I think it's more than 'vaporware' because Cabela's has them for sale. The idea of nothing coming out the back end of your rifle is great. I want one!!! :lol:

I have seen one post on a different forum by someone that purchased one they claim. They said their is no blow back, easy to clean, and fast ignition. Nothing the company has not claimed. Also out of the box accuracy was very good.

Now my opinion. My understanding is these will not be legal in all states. Also I would hate to hunt with this in a snow or rain day. I have seen electronic equipment start to misbehave when it is cold and wet. My GPS has seemed to go through massive battery drain on days like this.

I have nothing against new technology. I would love to play with one and see if I could make it break. I just do not see the need for it. I think with the new innovations already out there, I would have no reason to put my hunting faith in a battery operated rifle. But if it appeals to you, then by all means get it. Just carry extra batteries. I wonder if there is an indication of battery strength on the rifle or if you find out the hard way when it comes to crunch time, you have the only buck you seen all season in the sights and then learn that the batteries need to be replaced.

I actually thought of buying one of these to try, NO JOKE! :? Then I remembered...the one CVA rifle I have owned(actually a Winchester Apex) was really bad. So I decided against it.

I found out this last hunting season that the when temps drop into the teens or below, battery life is very short... thought there was something wrong with my digital camera... would only take a shot or two before crapping out! As soon as it and the batteries warmed up it was back to normal.

I have one of the Remington Etronx guns that everyone had pretty much the same comments, poor battery life, unreliable ECT?.. all coming from people that have never owned one much less shot one. There are numerous advantages to electronic ignition , it is far more reliable than conventional ignition, almost instantaneous lock time vastly improving accuracy on a moving target or if your shaking. I am sure is gives you plenty of warning before the battery craps out. The Etronix gives you almost a 100 shots after you get the low battery warning and many hundreds of shots before you get the low battery warning, I am sure the Electra is similar. Change your battery every season and you will never have a problem. Cleanup should be a snap due to the gasses having no way to enter the action. The only drawback to the electric guns is that the triggers can be adjusted so incredibly light and smooth yet 100% safe that just about any conventional trigger no matter how good you thought it used to be just plain sucks in comparison.

At 10X the cost of a regular primer the answer would have to be yes.

Cabelas and a CVA rep brought one to our range to demonstrate it. I was not there in person but I talked to one of our range officers who was there and shot it a few times.

He said it was accurate, sub 2" at 100yds, and that the trigger was great. He said the trigger was so light that he would be afraid to hunt with gloves on.

Saying that he was not sold on it though. The CVA rep was not prepared for his questions.

What constitutes a loaded gun, can you carry it in a vehicle if it has a charge in it, does the battery have to be taken out to carry it in a vehicle if it has a charge in it, can the electrodes be damaged during cleaning? There was more, I just can't remember all of them.

2005679752109624878_fs.jpg

ramrod may be used separately for personal defense or for the handling of livestock.

Underclocked had me going for a while (and I'm an engineer!)

Good feedback on the Electra. Never thought of the loaded or not legal question, the battery shouldn't be an issue because it's lithium ion and pretty cold resisitant. I'm less concerned about the electronics than many but still wonder about the 'dirtyness' of BP substitutes on the ignition surfaces, especially with pyrodex. Definitely an idea that needs to mature a little. I'd love to hear more experiences as they arise -that's a chunk of change to plunk down on so much of a chance for me at least for the time being.

Whole concept makes be a bit queezy with regard to MLs. How many would load a new primer, then charge the weapon??? The thought of loading a charge over a potentially hot electrode sends chills down my spine. I'm sure CVA has done plenty of safety studies to support their product, but still doesn't put my mind at ease.

Ok guys..

I have been reading all this "stuff" about the Electra:

* basically no lock time
* No primers to buy or unseat the load
* works with a 9 volt?? will it go off when loading???
* Breech system, no vent to keep clean or traditional plug
* Bergara barrel? made under the direction of shillen or sumthin like that ....... cant remember
* 20 second arm/charge delay when turned on?

Anyone have one or had the opportunity to shoot one? What are your thoughts on the gun?

lol... Im fighting the urge myself!

I'm interested but I just know its gonna hurt!

I wonder how well the circuitry in the rifle will hold up to repeated shocks from recoil.

Maybe someone should check the price on replacement circuit boards.

Ed Shilen was "Contracted" to do barrel production consulting for Bergara barrels. I hope his consulting will pay off in a quality accutate barrel.

Personnaly I will stick to T/C.

chocdog

choc-dog said:
Ed Shilen was "Contracted" to do barrel production consulting for Bergara barrels. I hope his consulting will pay off in a quality accutate barrel.

Personnaly I will stick to T/C.

chocdog

I've owned one CVA muzzleloader..actually a Winchester Apex. It was a fantastic LOOKING muzzleloader...it just didn't shoot worth a crap! I'm just a little concerned too that it's still a CVA..

I'm just a little concerned too that it's still a CVA..

I'm OVERLY concerned. I've had 3 CVA's and my last one was OK (Optima Pro) but not in the same quality category other major brands were at the time for relatively the same $$$$ : T/C, Knight, Savage.

I look closely at the photos and I see that scenerio playing out again...... not a good one.

Actually the loaded/unloaded gun for transport is an EXCELLENT question.

Most states consider them unloaded if they are not primed! My assumption would be that you would have to drop the battery out to "de-prime" it. Otherwise you are traveling with a fully loaded operational firearm.

Extreme cold weather and ANY battery makes me nervous, especially a plain ole 9 volt. Living in Nebraska, I refuse to take that chance.

Latest posts

Back