CVA Optima Pistols In Stock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like it is now out of stock everywhere I look on the interwebs.
Amazon prices fluctuate randomly, guess I got lucky and delivery should be on the 10th.
Since this is a holiday weekend, and I ordered the Optima V2 from Muzzleloaders yesterday (showed in stock) and will know Tuesday if it will ship for sure.
I'll have Papa Optima and baby Optima.

Those Leapers UTG 2-7 × 32mm Handgun Scopes sell out pretty quickly. I ordered one last year from Optics Planet just after I made the trade with MtMonkey for the Optima V2 pistol in April. It showed in stock, and was, but part of my order was back ordered, and that threw a HUGE MONKEY WRENCH into things. It was at the beginning of all the warehouses for the gun industry being stripped of product, and the big online stores like Optics Planet being so overwhelmed with orders & backlogged products, that they stopped answering their phones due to massive call volume. After weeks of trying to get in touch with Optics Planet via email, I finally just told them to cancel the order, except for what had already shipped. A total @#$&$#@.

I totally regret NOT keeping the Leapers UTG 2-7 × 32mm scope, as they are hard to find. And, will still be hard to find when I am ready to order one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Toytruck, this is right off the Optics Planet scope description, so yes, the utg is the same. Optics Planets also sells a 2X7X44 scout scope but its not for pistols specifically. The Leapers I have has an eye relief of up to 25", plenty of room for the recoil of this Optima pistol.

Leapers UTG 2-7x32mm Handgun Scope SCP-27PRGW, Color: Black, Tube Diameter: 1 in,

Ah, back to the pistol.
I'll be starting out with I believe 240 grain T/C Cheap Shots Snapbang turned me onto. Work good in my Optima rifle with BH, not so much with T7FF.
Will have to switch to Barnes when season starts, those in the know will you give me a starting load for BH 209 in weight not V. And for S & G's T7 FF.
Hopefully the pistol ships this week.

With BH209 powder, I'd start at 49 grains weighed [70 by volume], then 56 by weight [80 by volume], 63 by weight [90 by volume], and finally 70 by weight [100 by volume]. The gun maxes out at 100 grains. I've shot mine at the max load of 209 and a 300 grain XTP. Not much fun in it. After a half dozen shots the palm was bruised up pretty well. At 63 weighed grains with a 240 grain bullet/sabot its a manageable recoil. The Barnes 225 grain at 63 weighed grains is a nice shooter recoil wise.

I ordered another, going to run a scope on this one. Also less powder thinking of 70 gr. Volume bh209 with a 200 gr xtp in a green crush rib sabot. The 90 grain by volume with 240xtp was quite snappy.

Tracking says delivery is Thursday
Whoopee!!!
Problem is I’m in an ICU room because of an aneurysm in my leg. 7:30 am scheduled on the cutting table in the morning. May be a couple weeks before I get to put it through it’s paces. And I miss opening weekend of bow season. Oh well, life goes on.

Vortex Crossfire ii 2-7 Scout scope. The eye relief for a scout scope seems to work perfectly for this.

Going to start with 250 xtp and black crushed rubbed. 777 powder. Have plenty of options to tinker with if those don’t shoot. I also have a good supply of 300 grain deep curls

I would consider buying one if they were able to supply primers.
If you have, or can find rifle primers, consider investing in one of the Arrowhead Gen2 LRMP CVA Optima V2 QRBP breech plugs & modules. Properly installed, it virtually eliminates blowback & fouling. I have one ready for my pistol when it comes off Doc White's bench.

Along with the CVA Blackburn 209 breech plug that came with it from MtMonkey in trade. And, a Lehigh Defense BP-BP-C1 BP209 breech plug with vent liners (5).

I still want to purchase a couple of the CVA Northwest Conversion Musket Kits. I want to find a machinist who will convert both of the breech plugs to plugs that will accept AMPCO bronze, 1/4"-28 threaded nipples. Then, I could swap between a musket cap or a #11 cap nipple. And, have a backup plug.

Yeah I couldn’t resist this time when Hal posted these were available. Mine was delivered today and I was in the shop with the scope, rings, and mounting tools ready.View attachment 15382
You are going to love that setup.. Mine has a fixed 2x Burris pushing a Barnes 250grn. Spit Fire T EZ with 65 grains of Buckhorn 209 powder. Very accurate to 50 yards. Not bad at 100 but this is for deer hunting so I feel like a max. of 60 yards for comfort.
250 GR. SPIT-FIRE T-EZ

Latest posts

Back