CVA Optima Pistols In Stock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smyrnagc

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
Well crap… I’ve kicked myself the last couple times for not pulling the trigger when these were available.

These pistols are starting to develop a following, I don't think you can call it a cult following yet, but the potential capabilities locked up in the factory package is enormous.

If someone comes out with a COMFORTABLE, ambidextrous, aftermarket pistol grip for the Optima V2 pistol, then all bets are off.

Especially, a pistol grip specifically designed to handle top end loads utilizing bullets weighing over 325 grains.

The action can handle bullets weighing 400-425 grains.

Install an Arrowhead Gen2 LRMP CVA QRBP replacement breech plug, with standard modules, as I am going to do as soon as the pistol comes off Doc White's bench. In conjunction with the LR Customs, MZ REX2 muzzle brakes that have already been installed, my Optima V2 pistol will handle loads from the mildest round ball loads, up to the stoutest 400 grain lead conical loads.

The break down of my pistol is as follows.....

1. Optima V2 pistol
2. Doc White ambidextrous, smooth pistol grip, curly maple (no finger grooves)
3. Doc White Javelina forearm, curly maple, with rearward-facing, stubby pistol grip
4. Warne, CVA V-2, M980/982M scope bases, steel, (2), with Torx screws
5. Warne, 201L, 1", steel, Q-D Lever, matte, low, scope rings, pair (2)
6. Weaver, Classic, 2.5-8 × 28mm handgun scope, with Duplex reticle, 1" tube
7. Factory ramrod with Palm Saver grip
8. Muzzle threaded 5/8"-24 by LR Customs
9. Knurled stainless steel muzzle cap by LR Customs
10. MZ REX2 muzzle brake for lead conicals by LR Customs
11. MZ REX2 muzzle brake for sabots by LR Customs
12. Muzzle brake length, custom aluminum, on-board ramrod, with SpinJag tip, by LR Customs
13. Custom range rod with spinning handle and 10-32 threads by LR Customs
14. GrovTec, GTHM289, black oxide stainless steel, 9/16"-18 threaded, heavy duty, push button, sling swivel bases, pair (14a) 1st base installed in bottom of main pistol grip (14b) second base installed in forward face of forearm
15. GrovTec, GTSW264, D-Loop, recessed plunger, heavy duty, push button, sling swivels, pair
16. Magpul, MS3, GEN2, Multi-Mission, single-point sling with steel ParaClip levers, 1.25" wide webbing
17. Spartan Precision Equipment, Classic Gunsmith Adapter, in brass, neodymium magnet inside the adapter to hold onto ball heads, bipods, & tripods*** installed just forward of the Javelina pistol grip, on the underside of the forearm
18. Spartan Precision Equipment, Javelin bipod, standard length (for use at the bench)(I'm WAY TOO OLD to be getting on my belly prone!)
19. Really Right Stuff, MC-45, MK2-3/8", Carbon Fiber Monopod with 3/8"-24 threads
20. Spartan Precision Equipment, Davros ball head with 1/4"-28 or 3/8"-24 threads
21. CVA QRBP BH209 breech plug*** apparently this plug leaks a little, according to MtMonkey, from whom I got the pistol in trade
22. Lehigh Defense, BP-BP-C1, CVA, 2010 & Newer, QRBP replacement breech plug with replaceable vent liner
23. Lehigh Defense, VL-1, Vent Liners, pkg/4
24. Arrowhead, Gen2, LRMP, CVA QRBP, replacement breech plug with 20 standard modules & decapping/priming station
25. Arrowhead, Gen2 LRMP, standard modules, pkg/20, 5 each
26. CVA, AC1697, Northwest Conversion Musket Kit*** includes firing pin retainer bushing, o-ring, musket nipple QRBP breech plug, firing pin, firing pin spring, & tool

Some of the above equipment has yet to be installed on the pistol, or is back-up equipment in case something fails, or in the case of the various breech plugs are differing options for ignition in case the supply of primers drys up. At this time, nothing extra is for sale, like the scope base & rings it wears while in Doc White's shop.

One thing that I will almost certainly purchase, based on Mr. Tom's recommendations, is a.....

Leapers, UTG, 2-7 × 32mm Handgun Scope with illuminated PDC reticle, 1" tube,

As can be seen by several recent threads, and a bunch of past threads, at least three (?) members have converted their Optima V2 pistols into carbines by replacing the stock pistol grip with an AR-like grip that was printed, and by adding one of many available AR butt stocks to the grip.

Just another reason why this pistol is growing in popularity, year-by-year.

And, Muzzleloaders.com is in the lions seat as the ONLY source for new Optima V2 pistols. Like the add says, the last batch sold out in 5 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that I will almost certainly purchase, based on Mr. Tom's recommendations, is a.....

Leapers, UTG, 2-7 × 32mm Handgun Scope with illuminated PDC reticle, 1" tube,

This Leapers 2X7 scope is the cat's meow on this pistol. The reticle illuminates to either red or green or can be left as a traditional black crosshair. I've never had mine illuminated in the woods and don't illuminate it at the range....never found a need to but the color may be helpful to some folks.

Someone mentioned a holster. I found one on ebay for about $30.00 bucks. It goes over a shoulder with the barrel slightly tucked under my left arm and the bulk of the pistol crossing my chest at an angle. Completely covers the gun and scope. I wear it over my heavy hunting clothes with plenty of adjustment left and I'm a fairly large guy at 6 foot and 245 pounds.

I've taken several deer with my pistol and stand hunting is just a dream with it. I do a load of 63 weighed grains [90 by volume] of BH209 behind a green crush rib and a 225 grain Barnes XPB .44 cal bullet. The recoil with this load is a wake-up call but very manageable. Absolutely deadly combo. While I try hard to keep my shots under 50 yards I know where the gun plants them at 100 yards and if the right deer, right circumstances happened along I'd have no issue with taking the shot.

Doc- would love to see pics of your optima!

When I get it in my grimy little hands from Doc White, probably not until September (praying), and until I have had enough time to shoot it with both muzzle brakes, without a brake {patched balls}, with various .40, .45, & .50 caliber projectiles (jacketed pistol bullets in sabots, home cast balls, swaged balls, PA Conicals, Pittman bullets in sabots, etc), at various distances, left & right handed, from the bench, & in various field positions; I will be reluctant to start posting images of the pistol.

My reason is that I am quite aware that more than a few members here doubt the legitimacy of many of the things I post. And, that's O.K.

HOWEVER, I have been away from actually shooting , except for the very, very, very occasional invite to participate in one, or another of the various shooting sports, since the early 90's. That's why most of my posts here have had to do with traditional muzzleloading, particularly flintlocks. That's where most of my knowledge lies.

So, until I have a number of legitimate targets that I can post, both the good & the not so good, I am reluctant to start showing the pistol off, and talking about it theoretically. Because, that's what I have been doing thus far while it has resided in first Doc White's shop for months, then Levi Reed at LR Customs had it for months, and now it's back on Doc White's bench again. Been 15 (16?) months now. So when I get it in my hands, I think the members here deserve better than more theoretical talk.

That's just my opinion. And everyone knows how much one of those is worth.

Bruce

Last edited by a moderator:
When I get it in my grimy little hands from Doc White, probably not until September (praying), and until I have had enough time to shoot it with both muzzle brakes, without a brake {patched balls}, with various .40, .45, & .50 caliber projectiles (jacketed pistol bullets in sabots, home cast balls, swaged balls, PA Conicals, Pittman bullets in sabots, etc), at various distances, left & right handed, from the bench, & in various field positions; I will be reluctant to start posting images of the pistol.

My reason is that I am quite aware that more than a few members here doubt the legitimacy of many of the things I post. And, that's O.K.

HOWEVER, I have been away from actually shooting , except for the very, very, very occasional invite to participate in one, or another of the various shooting sports, since the early 90's. That's why most of my posts here have had to do with traditional muzzleloading, particularly flintlocks. That's where most of my knowledge lies.

So, until I have a number of legitimate targets that I can post, both the good & the not so good, I am reluctant to start showing the pistol off, and talking about it theoretically. Because, that's what I have been doing thus far while it has resided in first Doc White's shop for months, then Levi Reed at LR Customs had it for months, and now it's back on Doc White's bench again. Been 15 months now. So when I get it in my hands, I think the members here deserve better than more theoretical talk.

That's just my opinion. And everyone knows how much one of those is worth.

Bruce
Heck ive got more than one ML that's just here for me to fondle and show off. And a couple that are just shooters. Shoot that pistol, or don't. It's still gonna be a super cool piece. As for theoretical legitimacy or whatever you want to call it, you've given me as much to think about as anyone else on this forum brother. I do hope to see it someday tho. I love unusual muzzleloaders.

Toytruck, I got mine thru OpticsPlanet.com.

Now when you get the scope and bases mounted, be sure to use soft/firm [not hard] setting Loctite on every screw and nut.

A C-note on that scope is a bargain unless its used. When I got mine they were running right at $125.00 which is still a decent price.

Latest posts

Back