CVA Optima V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding you firing pin group, I only clean mine once a year and put a tiny bit of grease in the hole where the pin assembly sits.

Regarding you firing pin group, I only clean mine once a year and put a tiny bit of grease in the hole where the pin assembly sits.
The firing pin group came out rather easy.,. It wasn’t bad but still had carbon on it. The new set should be in tomorrow…I won’t shoot it again until I install the new breech plug.
One thing I noticed with the existing one. I could back it out 1/3 of a turn and the rifle would still lock up. Was this plug set to deep causing the blow back?

When you seat your new plug to your action you want the primer to have a little bit of crush and you still want the gun to lock up and the trigger to cock if you take your time you can achieve all of that the only thing you'll need to do after that is use your drill bit every three or four shots. There's a lot of videos out and there's a lot of guys here that have had a lot of experience but you're headed in the right direction!

When you seat your new plug to your action you want the primer to have a little bit of crush and you still want the gun to lock up and the trigger to cock if you take your time you can achieve all of that the only thing you'll need to do after that is use your drill bit every three or four shots. There's a lot of videos out and there's a lot of guys here that have had a lot of experience but you're headed in the right direction!
Drill bit?

It will probably come with your breach plug,

Attachments

• IMG_20220616_192752527.jpg
    IMG_20220616_192752527.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220616_193210704.jpg
    IMG_20220616_193210704.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 0
Just a few light turns by fingers and hand and it cleans out the carbon you're good to go ,,, if you do not do it the primer is not going to seal right you're going to start to get blowback because you're not going to get it an efficient ignition burn as the carbon builds up in the breach plug.

Is very cheap it used to come I think with the Western plug I'm not sure who you're getting your plug from but it's a real easy buy at the auto parts store,, I usually do it every 3 to 5 rounds I kind of let the gun tell me I know I've read other guys that will shoot more shots than that but I kind of get into a routine and stick with it

Now that I think about it, I don't believe I've ever used the drill bit on the breech plug for my pistol. Project for tomorrow morning !
Got it; 1/8” bit with handle… I look for one tomorrow at the auto parts store… I have a similar tool used for removing carbon from my M1A gas tube…

The O rings did not work for me with my Optima V2 rifle. I couldn't close the breech using them. Just a heads up! Your getting great advise here!!
Had the same problem with my V2 pistol. I slightly flattened the O rings before insertion and kept adjusting the firing pin bushing inward, until the action would just close and still lock tight. I have zero blowback now, even when using 130 grains(Volume) of T7-2F behind a 400 grain GG lead slug.

From the CVA Optima V2 Owner's Manual page 9.

MINIMUM AND MAXIMUM LOADS FOR OPTIMA V-2 RIFLE CVA recommends a minimum of 50 grains, by volume, of blackpowder or blackpowder substitute in your CVA muzzleloader rifle. The maximum load in CVA break-action guns, and any other CVA in-line gun designated as a “Magnum” is 150 grains by volume. This maximum load is generally known as the “magnum” load and is best suited for pelletized powder due to the more efficient burning characteristics of the powder pellets. Magnum loads of loose powder may be shot but are not recommended because of their inefficient and incomplete burning of the powder. Some bullet designs depend on the thrust of the powder charge to expand, or obdurate, the bullet inside the bore for best accuracy. Loads under 50 grains cannot be depended on to do this. In many cases lighter bullets are more sensitive to this than heavier bullets and often require heavy powder charges to produce the best accuracy. For those who wish to shoot moderate powder charges of 90 to 120 grains the heavier bullets generally give better results.

MINIMUM AND MAXIMUM LOADS FOR OPTIMA V-2 PISTOL CVA recommends a minimum of 50 grains, by volume, of blackpowder or blackpowder substitute in your CVA muzzleloader pistol. Although the Optima pistol shares a similar action and barrel with Optima rifle and is equally strong, the 150 grain “magnum” charge is not appropriate due to the short barrel length. In fact, the extra unburned powder can actually reduce the velocity of the bullet. Testing of various powders and pellets, using a chronograph for accurate velocity measurements, has shown that the highest velocities were attained with 90 to 100 grains of loose or 100 grains of pelletized powder.

Wrist brace
I've got to get a muzzle brake . . . and wear a shooting glove.

Latest posts

Back