CVA Paramount Update

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Midway sells a threaded tube that screws into the BP threads and extends out over and beyond the trigger group. The threads match Rem, Ruger and Omega.
Somewhere I ran across someone who was making threaded bore guides for cleaning precision bolt action MLs. (Basically just to keep solvent out of the action, BP threads, trigger etc) Anyone know who is doing that? It would be cool to have that option for the Paramount. Luke??

I

I was talking with Mike Deming from Sportsmanship Warehouse this wk on his YouTube page. He has the Paramount. I've been on the fence about buying one myself. He had the best Paramount video out. The only negative issues I've heard/read were - it's really heavy 10lb alone & the Variflame's leak. They don't all leak, but some surely do, & you can see it in the shooting video by CVA. Mike said he spoke with CVA ppl & the issue is not with the Variflame itself, but with the substandard springs used in the bolt head being too weak to completely seal. They sent him new/better spring ( I'm sure at no charge but he did not state that) I haven't been back in contact with Mike to see how the new spring did. I'm sure prob solved though.
If you get a Paramount & want a new perhaps better breach plug ASG made a new & improved one - LRPM for 250.00 with a 75.00 discount for MML members. Http://www.instagram.com/p/Bu5-LzCHmx1TyTWQCFSy6u1omWKQnx9_zNASQA0/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1sjw624cr9f2x

Sent from my iPad
purchased my Paramount last weekend, ordered ASG's Gen2 kit right away. Rec'd it, installed it, measured breechplug,sent plug and rest of package back as instructed. Got my breechplug back Monday and shot for first time today. Got on 100yd paper and started raining. No leaks!!!

My Gen2 kit will be here Thursday, I got a new Spring and plug yesterday but reading that they still leak I’m not even going to install them... I’ll just wait for the kit and go with that.
My Gen2 kit will be here Thursday, I got a new Spring and plug yesterday but reading that they still leak I’m not even going to install them... I’ll just wait for the kit and go with that.
Wait, just got my kit and breechplug, 10 days to get it ordered, measured and plug sent back to be trimmed. all set after 10 days. as advertised, no leaks!!

Hoping to see some target results in the near future, and would really like to see some shot with a lighter charge than the recommended charges. Say the 84/120gr charges. The general manager at BPI says the Paramount won't shoot good with reduced charges? :rolleyes:

Hoping to see some target results in the near future, and would really like to see some shot with a lighter charge than the recommended charges. Say the 84/120gr charges. The general manager at BPI says the Paramount won't shoot good with reduced charges? :rolleyes:
I tried some lighter sabboted 40s and tried the ELR with a 130gr (vol) charge and results were not all that great. (2" spread at 100 yards) My guess is you would have to go with a full bore 140-150gr bullet to get the stability at the the slower speed.

I will say that my results may not be representative of what others find with their Paramount. It was just my experience.

I'm going to head out this weekend to grab some new velocity data using the Gen2 system. I loaded some modules with standard LRPs and some with LMRPs to see if the magnum primers make any difference. I will post some velocity/accuracy results when I get back. (pending the weather cooperates) Only planning to shoot 150Gr charges under ELRs on this trip.

I tried some lighter sabboted 40s and tried the ELR with a 130gr (vol) charge and results were not all that great. (2" spread at 100 yards) My guess is you would have to go with a full bore 140-150gr bullet to get the stability at the the slower speed.
One would think that with a 120gr volume charge and say a Fury 275-300gr or 275-300gr Pittman and wad, it would shoot accurately with a reduced charge.
If its got a good barrel on it, it shouldn't shoot any less accurate than the factory Knights with 120grs volume.
I think BPI/CVA wants everyone to stay with their ELR bullets?

I am guessing the larger bore from what I have read may be the problem with accuracy while using some bullets and a reduced charge. The ELR bullets may be the best choice for the Paramount ? I think they are plated not a jacket .They definitely would be the easiest if one can get them to shoot.( no sizing die or need for wad) Or like George said Fury’s.452 bonded bullets .(soft) Maybe Kyles .452 .015 jacket Pittman Accumax bullets . (Thin copper jacket).

I am in no way bashing the Paramount ! ( Busta) just a observation from what I have read . In fact I would love to play with one of these guns .

Parker BE should be right around .451-.4515. A larger bullet and a adjustable sizing die though is the ticket. Fine tune it to exactly what your bore likes. Thin jacket and soft core is so much easier to get shooting well at BH209 pressures.

My Super DISC shoots several bullets fine with no more than 120gr by volume of BH209 but the barrel is tight. My Pacnor did also. Both of those prefer to under size and knurl up around .002 over lands because im too cheap to buy a adjustable die :p PITA but works really well.

I am guessing the larger bore from what I have read may be the problem with accuracy while using some bullets and a reduced charge. The ELR bullets may be the best choice for the Paramount ? I think they are plated not a jacket .They definitely would be the easiest if one can get them to shoot.( no sizing die or need for wad) Or like George said Fury’s.452 bonded bullets .(soft) Maybe Kyles .452 .015 jacket Pittman Accumax bullets . (Thin copper jacket).
I am in no way bashing the Paramount ! ( Busta) just a observation from what I have read . In fact I would love to play with one of these guns .

Nor am I...….
Doug I've also read a number of reports about the over sized bore (not .450). In my mind, I just believe that if you found the right bullet, even if you had to knurl it up, the rifle would shoot as good as the quality of the barrel with reduced charges.

I had a chat with the general manager (Dudley McGarity) of BPI, about shooting the reduced charge and also about showcasing the rifle's capabilities by sending a team to the 2020 May inline match at Friendship. He stated that although they HAVE BEEN invited, their rifle shot its best using the heavy charges it was designed to safely handle and 300yds was a "chip shot". He did state that if the 84/120gr rule was changed, they would show with a team.

Now I'm not getting into the rule thing about charges, but it seems to me that if BPI really wanted to get a lot of actual FREE publicity about the Paramount's accuracy, all they'd have to do is give a quality showing, not necessarily a win at the May match Bob hosts. It would be all over the internet, including here on MM.

I agree , Winning doesn't mean rifle is better that is mostly the shooter. THE Little plastic tails fall off like sabot. Least that is what the one at Friendship did

I find it hard to believe the rifle will only shoot with max loads ? I realize the rifle has a 1-22 twist . Higher velocities does not change the stability of the bullet all that much . At least this is what I have found with my rifles and from what I have read .( JBM Miller stability chart. ) I personally have never had ( any brand ) rifle that would not shoot max loads or a reduced load with some obvious load development. Need the correct bullet ( thin jacket , correct bullet sizing , different wads, knurling ect...) from what I have heard this rifle has a large bore .452ish . Parker’s .451 are to loose .Pittmans .452 just fit . Fury’s I do not know ? The person I talked too did not say anything about Fury’s . With a good barrel ( which I think the Paramount has ) I just can not believe with some tinkering it will not shoot 84/120.

I’m gonna have to get one just to satisfy my curiosity. First thing I will do is send it to Jeff Fisk to have the ignition system fixed . ( whatever it takes) maybe Luke’s System is good enough ? I just want to make sure I have something that can take hundreds of shots and high pressure loads if I decide to do so . Not at all bashing CVA I do the exact same thing with my Knight rifles . At least the rifles that are going to see hundreds and hundreds of shots .

Anyone who has done the Arrowhead gen 2 kit tell me if the bolt face adapter was hard to fit? The part with the bolt face wont slip over the firing pin part in the bolt.

This is as far as it will go on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Anyone who has done the Arrowhead gen 2 kit tell me if the bolt face adapter was hard to fit? The part with the bolt face wont slip over the firing pin part in the bolt.

This is as far as it will go on.

Scott,

Can you measure the diameter of the nipple on your bolt and shoot me an e-mail or call me. We'll figure out what's going on.

Luke

Scott,

Can you measure the diameter of the nipple on your bolt and shoot me an e-mail or call me. We'll figure out what's going on.

Luke

The Nipple was .217, I ended up just slowly working it down with some emery cloth in a drill chuck and polished it up. I polished the inside of the bolt face with some 320 grit diamond paste and when I was able to get it on I lapped them together with some 600 grit paste. Now its a perfect fit and I will send in the breach plugs, Nipples and the gauges today.

I wonder if the powder coat is caked on a little thicker on some of these. Did you sand all the way through the finish?

ya, I went well past the coating. I worked many years for a R&D industrial diamond company. Im sure there must be a pretty loose tolerance on the nipple and it must have been on the big side.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back