CVA Paramount Update

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm shooting 100 grains of bh209 with all kinds of bullets. ELR and another yellow powerbelt 225 grain and hornady sst sabots. At 100 yards I'm hitting some great groups with all. My barrel has to be a bit fouled though. With a clean barrel it shoots low and left. As soon as I get a shot or two through it's right in the center. My last shot of the day.

Attachments

• 20191004_041844.jpg
    20191004_041844.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 26
I am thinking about a Muzzle Brake, I think I am going to go with the American Precision Arms C.H.O.D.E. I have been using the Little Bastard on my PRS Competition Rifle for a couple years and it s great. I know a few guys that have used the C.H.O.D.E. and they say it is almost as effective and i think it would be the best way to go for loading a Muzzy. Anyone using a brake?

https://www.americanprecisionarms.c.../products/the-c-h-o-d-e?variant=2165267496970

…….. Anyone using a brake?

I've use a brake (not on a Paramount). I used a radial when shooting pellets in my Ultimate, then had the Gen2 breech plug installed to shoot BH209. That required the use of a funnel through the radial which I made the first from a piece of plastic, then Bestill made me an excellent SS funnel, keeping it .010" off the crown. No spilling propellant.

I have an LR Customs T-Rex CSTM on my custom that Bestill built me, which also uses a funnel, keeping .010" off the crown. The LR Custom brakes IMO are some of the best in the business for taming recoil with heavy charges of BH209. I like watching the bullet impact ;)

You'll need a funnel with loose propellants.

Here's a video of the brake in use on a Remington Ultimate. There is NO weight on the sled that a friend is using. His charge from his RUM is 142grs VOLUME of BH209 (NOT FOR PRODUCTION RIFLES).

I find it hard to believe the rifle will only shoot with max loads ? I realize the rifle has a 1-22 twist . Higher velocities does not change the stability of the bullet all that much . At least this is what I have found with my rifles and from what I have read .( JBM Miller stability chart. ) I personally have never had ( any brand ) rifle that would not shoot max loads or a reduced load with some obvious load development. Need the correct bullet ( thin jacket , correct bullet sizing , different wads, knurling ect...) from what I have heard this rifle has a large bore .452ish . Parker’s .451 are to loose .Pittmans .452 just fit . Fury’s I do not know ? The person I talked too did not say anything about Fury’s . With a good barrel ( which I think the Paramount has ) I just can not believe with some tinkering it will not shoot 84/120.

I’m gonna have to get one just to satisfy my curiosity. First thing I will do is send it to Jeff Fisk to have the ignition system fixed . ( whatever it takes) maybe Luke’s System is good enough? I just want to make sure I have something that can take hundreds of shots and high pressure loads if I decide to do so . Not at all bashing CVA I do the exact same thing with my Knight rifles . At least the rifles that are going to see hundreds and hundreds of shots .
Thanks for a great post & I really like & respect that you provided your information source to back up your theory & direction. I also am pleased that you are astute enough to find & use such a great source world-renowned to use & apply. I'm really looking forward to reading more from you on your research & endeavors with it. I just ordered my DNZ Game Reaper 1pc. 34mm scope mount for my Paramount ( that I haven"t ordered yet). I got a new Shepherd 5-25 x 56 34mm tube 1/8 moa adj. zero stop IR MOA reticle for it. I love Shepherd scopes, this is my 3rd one. I also have started stocking up on the ELR's too. I should be financially able to order my Paramount in a cpl wks. I have already picked out a new Richards Micro Dual grip thumbhole stock in claro walnut. I will be ordering the LMRP as soon as I get the gun. I'm not even going to mess with the leaky duraflames a.

I am thinking about a Muzzle Brake, I think I am going to go with the American Precision Arms C.H.O.D.E. I have been using the Little Bastard on my PRS Competition Rifle for a couple years and it s great. I know a few guys that have used the C.H.O.D.E. and they say it is almost as effective and i think it would be the best way to go for loading a Muzzy. Anyone using a brake?

https://www.americanprecisionarms.c.../products/the-c-h-o-d-e?variant=2165267496970

5/8-24 isn't big enough to go on a 45cal gun.

Seems there's a few issues...…..

"My Paramount has a problem.. Safety to fire, trigger press and fail to fire. Cock the bolt a second time and it fires.
First trigger press the cocking piece moves forward but the primer is not dimpled by the firing pin. I’ve checked.
It’s new. I cleaned it, mounted the rail and scope, replaced the bolt nose spring with the new stronger one.
First range trip it did this both shots. I went thru it checking bolt well, didn’t notice anything “off”. All seemed normal. Brought it out today and it did it again every shot.
Anyone had this occur? Any ideas what to look for?"

Response from sales manager at BPI...……. "I’ve seen this before. Sounds like your primers are not set to the bottom of the VF. What are you using to set the primers in your VariFlames? The included kit? If so, the T post is a bit too short and we had to get replacement made. If you need a replacement, call our customer service department and we’ll get a replacement for you. Essentially, when you’re firing the first time, the firing pin is pushing the lg rifle primer to the bottom of the VF. Then the second time it fires because the primer is bottomed out."

I cant imagine a firing PIN at full speed could push a primer into a primer pocket without igniting the primer. On the fired modules how deep is the pin mark on the primer? This sounds like a headspace issue. While the face on the factory bolt head will move, the firing pin post and pin are a fixed distance from the adapter. We are seeing a decent variance on the headspace on the paramounts. My guess is the firing PIN is not reaching the primer on most fires. And a few you just got lucky and the forward momentum was enough to punch it.

If you want to test this theory. Load 6 or 8 modules. Screw your breach plug out 1/16 turn and dry fire a primer only. (Do not load the rifle) if it fires every time after you back out the plug a hair, then it is headspace.

I know it's surprising, but a firing pin can definitely push primer forward without firing if headspace is too loose. I actually just spoke to a customer last week that had a UML that actually had headspace so loose my repair plug wasn't long enough to fix it. He said it wouldn't even fire on the cases sent with the gun. I told him to send it back to remington and get a new one.

I had a couple of hours to go to the range to do some quick testing on with the new stock and the LMRP setup on Saturday. I fired a few shots with standard CCI LRP and a few with Federal Mag Match primers. With 150gr vol of BH209 with the PB ELR - Was getting 2340-2345 ish on standard primers and 2355-2365 ish on LRMag primers. Took off the magnetospeed to shoot a couple of groups. magnum was first and I ended up with just under a 2" group. vertical spread was roughly 1.5" and horizontal was about 1.5". (it was a bit gusty with wind varying anywhere from L to R to right in my face, so that could have affected the horizontal a bit) With the standard CCI LRPs first shot was about .75" left of center target, second shot was dead center, third shot was same hole. Vertical spread was pretty much 0. Horizontal was just under 1" but again I was fighting a little wind so it could have enhanced the horizontal a bit. So in my rifle the standard primers seemed to work a bit better. Throughout the session I fired about 14 shots, I did not clean once. I waited a min or 2 between shots so the barrel was still a bit warm but not hot. Got to say, pretty impressed overall. Oh and the Bell and Carlson stock handled everything well, I didnt notice much more recoil than the heavier factory stock, and the recoil pad was more than sufficient.

Oh and I can gladly report LMRP = no leaks.
Good to hear, I’m getting ready for the Utah early rifle hunt and spent yesterday building a new rifle. I’m hoping to have my parts back in time to take my muzzy with me and if the opportunity presents itself use the Paramount to take the deer.

The Rifle is a 260ai, I have to form brass and develop a load in 3 days. I know what the Paramount will do, plus I have never taken a deer with a muzzy so I would like to use it.

Attachments

• FDBE0F07-C7F3-4648-AB49-804D3EC537FF.jpeg
    FDBE0F07-C7F3-4648-AB49-804D3EC537FF.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 13
Seems there's a few issues...…..

"My Paramount has a problem.. Safety to fire, trigger press and fail to fire. Cock the bolt a second time and it fires.
First trigger press the cocking piece moves forward but the primer is not dimpled by the firing pin. I’ve checked.
It’s new. I cleaned it, mounted the rail and scope, replaced the bolt nose spring with the new stronger one.
First range trip it did this both shots. I went thru it checking bolt well, didn’t notice anything “off”. All seemed normal. Brought it out today and it did it again every shot.
Anyone had this occur? Any ideas what to look for?"

Response from sales manager at BPI...……. "I’ve seen this before. Sounds like your primers are not set to the bottom of the VF. What are you using to set the primers in your VariFlames? The included kit? If so, the T post is a bit too short and we had to get replacement made. If you need a replacement, call our customer service department and we’ll get a replacement for you. Essentially, when you’re firing the first time, the firing pin is pushing the lg rifle primer to the bottom of the VF. Then the second time it fires because the primer is bottomed out."
It's a known issue. The replacement variflame primer installer they send will fix the issue. Also I have switched to the 209 primer breech plug and have over 100 shots through with no malfunctions and it's not leaking using federal 209 primers. That's another option that alleviates using the variflame which leak and are fiddly and a time waster.

I'm shooting 100 grains of bh209 with all kinds of bullets. ELR and another yellow powerbelt 225 grain and hornady sst sabots. At 100 yards I'm hitting some great groups with all. My barrel has to be a bit fouled though. With a clean barrel it shoots low and left. As soon as I get a shot or two through it's right in the center. M. this wasy last shot of the day.
finally got to do some serious shooting yesterday. got it zeroed in at 100 yds, shot 3 shot group with all three holes touching. this was with weighed 140 grain BH and CVA's 280 bullet. Super happy! I am going to try out different loads and bullets as it is too much recoil for my taste. Considering muzzlebrake, but not knowing how much it would affect accuracy out to 200 yards. Thoughts?

Thoughts:

Get a really good measurement of your bore
Buy a Swinglock adjustable sizing die...about $160?
Buy some .460x.060 fiber/veggie wads $20/1000
A few bullets available for a similar cost or less than the PB ELR bullet might come very close to loading straight from the pack.

Once you get the hang of sizing a bullet for your bore there are lots of bullets you can try. Many will more than likely shoot just fine with less than "super mag" loads.

Thoughts:

Get a really good measurement of your bore
Buy a Swinglock adjustable sizing die...about $160?
Buy some .460x.060 fiber/veggie wads $20/1000
A few bullets available for a similar cost or less than the PB ELR bullet might come very close to loading straight from the pack.

Once you get the hang of sizing a bullet for your bore there are lots of bullets you can try. Many will more than likely shoot just fine with less than "super mag" loads.
right on

finally got to do some serious shooting yesterday. got it zeroed in at 100 yds, shot 3 shot group with all three holes touching. this was with weighed 140 grain BH and CVA's 280 bullet. Super happy! I am going to try out different loads and bullets as it is too much recoil for my taste. Considering muzzlebrake, but not knowing how much it would affect accuracy out to 200 yards. Thoughts?
You are shooting 140 grain by weight BH 209?

Probably volume. Anything over about 150gr by volume is a total waste. You wont be able to burn it all even in a 28" barrel.

Latest posts

Back