CVA Paramount Update

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was the Viper PST 5-25X50 Gen 2 FFP, I REALLY Liked the Scope, it was EVERYTHING i wanted/needed, Until it went TITS. I had it on my Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist, So Obviously I wasn’t cranking out anywhere near what the Smokeless Fella’s are, and My Scope Failed MISERABLY after just a few Outings. I have had my Share of Bad Vortex Deals (Several Bad experiences now) But The above situation REALLY soured me, I don’t even Consider Vortex an Option anymore.

You Won’t find a More Honest Review than the Guy above in the Video i posted. Even though he is on His 4th Scope in that Video, he doesn’t say 1 Single Bad Word about Vortex.

I hope Ninering62 has good luck with his :lewis: But don’t be Surprised if you don’t, You will DEFINITELY NOT be the Only one!!

Mine was the Viper PST 5-25X50 Gen 2 FFP, I REALLY Liked the Scope, it was EVERYTHING i wanted/needed, Until it went TITS. I had it on my Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist, So Obviously I wasn’t cranking out anywhere near what the Smokeless Fella’s are, and My Scope Failed MISERABLY after just a few Outings. I have had my Share of Bad Vortex Deals (Several Bad experiences now) But The above situation REALLY soured me, I don’t even Consider Vortex an Option anymore.

You Won’t find a More Honest Review than the Guy above in the Video i posted. Even though he is on His 4th Scope in that Video, he doesn’t say 1 Single Bad Word about Vortex.

I hope Ninering62 has good luck with his :lewis: But don’t be Surprised if you don’t, You will DEFINITELY NOT be the Only one!!

Thanks for the information. If we look, we can find bad Scopes from every make and model. I know guys that have had some $1300 Leupold's go Tango Uniform on them.

My Vipers are all the 2.5-10x44, pre-Gen II that use the brass shims for the zero stop. So, maybe it's a model thing, or they took some shortcuts in production for a period of time. Could even be bad supplier parts, or just plain bad luck?

Mine are discontinued models now. They were $600+ scopes at the time. The first one I bought for $285 with rings. The last two, I paid $180 a piece without rings. I should have bought a truck load of them!

20170901_181728_zpstfu3y496.jpg

Thanks for the information. If we look, we can find bad Scopes from every make and model. I know guys that have had some $1300 Leupold's go Tango Uniform on them.

My Vipers are all the 2.5-10x44, pre-Gen II that use the brass shims for the zero stop. So, maybe it's a model thing, or they took some shortcuts in production for a period of time. Could even be bad supplier parts, or just plain bad luck?

Mine are discontinued models now. They were $600+ scopes at the time. The first one I bought for $285 with rings. The last two, I paid $180 a piece without rings. I should have bought a truck load of them!

View attachment 6569

I agree Busta, I rarely hear of problems with The Older Model Vipers, and I know several guys/Friends that have them, and Love them. Even on BIG HEAVY Recoilers such as .338 Lapua Magnums, Those Scopes are stil Going year after year Without a Glitch :lewis: I don’t know what Vortex has going on now days? But it’s obviously not working! Why would they Stop/Discontinue something that is Working well, and Well Proven? About every Optic Company out there Does it, and it makes NO Sense? Hopefully Vortex gets tired of Replacing These newer Model Scopes, and get it back to RIGHT like they seemed to of had it with the Old Vipers. At some point Through the VIP Warranty of Back n Forth Shipping/Replacing these Higher dollar Scopes, Their Profit margin would have to Start dwindling.

Mine was Working FLAWLESS on the 600 Yard Gong Shoot, i then headed to 825 Yards shortly after, i was SO CLOSE, But Looking back on that Situation, i have NO DOUBT in my Mind that my Scope Started Failing RIGHT THERE on that Particular 825 Yard Shoot, i would place money on it!!! I re Grouped a Few days later to go back up and Make that 825 Yard Gong Shoot HAPPEN on Video, I stopped to do a Real Quick 100 Yard Zero Check? GOOD THING I DID THAT! The Scope was TOAST!! It would NOT Hold Zero? It would Jump 6” to the Right, then back Left. I am not Making ANY Excuses on the 825 Yard Shoot, I knew i had it EASY!! But in Replay of my 1 and only attempt at it, i had several Shots that were unexplained AWOL MISSES??? Like Several Feet, i am 110% Confident those Shots were NOT me! The Scope was FAILING. And IRONICALLY, as stated above, my VERY next outing the Scope would NOT Hold Zero.

I totally lost Heart in it, Took it off and Tossed it in the Safe, i Actually Forgot about it. It was my Close Friend, and Sportshop Owner that talked me in to Sending it Back, In fact he ended up doing it for me, Then Making me a SMOKIN Deal on a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X56, He kept the Replacement Vortex they Sent me :lewis:

Last edited:
Busta that is similar to the Viper Midway recently had for $249. So yes for that kinda cash i will chance it. The scope has everything i want in a hunting scope without being terribly heavy. Im quite impressed with the optical quality of my Diamondback HP also. At $200 shipped it looks great and feels very solid. Its supposed to have the same glass as some Vipers.

ATM Midway has another Viper HS for $299 but its larger than i want. Its not for a long range rig like the OP. 44% off and a free set of Pro ring.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020880099?pid=183809

Amazon had a deal on a Razor HD LH 2x10x40 for $480ish not long ago. Other than the goofy reticle it is exactly what i want. Im still kicking myself for not buying it then. Now its back up to $690 which is still very reasonable for a scope of that quality. BUT there are lots of great scopes in the $750 price range. TRACT has some beautiful $750 scopes and one starting at under $400 with stellar specs. SWFA SS has HDs for around $750 and finding a failure thread is rare. New Zeiss V4s are getting rave reviews and ive seen them for under $500 on sale. Some of the upper end Weavers have also done very well in the SML community and occasionally have sold for around $500 even in the higher mag range.

Its specific to the application.....Hard kicking MLs and recoil from the Paramount can get pretty harsh. In this case long range plays into the equation. Not many of us need/want a 25x scope on a smoker aside from competition.

just got email advisement on cva closing out 2019 models .pretty good discount. the new 2020 paramount has treaded barrel.
pretty sure i'll get a 2020 paramount. haven't decided on a make of scope yet.
just for home use.

just got email advisement on cva closing out 2019 models .pretty good discount. the new 2020 paramount has treaded barrel.
pretty sure i'll get a 2020 paramount. haven't decided on a make of scope yet.
just for home use.

Screenshot_20191211-131230~2.png

Read the fine print.
unnamed (1).jpg

Looks like all the Accura Rifles will be getting Cerakote next year as well.

Here is the fast twist . 45 cal. So is the .50 LR and the .50 MR.
unnamed (2).jpg

Last edited:
I recently returned from my Hunt in Illinois. I was a little freaked out about my variflames starting to leak a few days before departing.
I called CVA and they overnighted me a complete bolt, and also a new breech plug. Customer service has been excellent. I read a post on FB that said not to tighten the breech plug down but just snug it up. This is what i did and got no leakage. Apparently that little extra messes up the head space.
I was not able to fill my tag on a buck but did harvest a doe at 140 yards the last night. She was hit high shoulder and the ELR made a complete pass through. Track job was less than 40 yards with a good blood trail.
My only experience with the ELR and in my opinion it did what it was intended to do..

Here is the fast twist . 45 cal. So is the .50 LR and the .50 MR.
View attachment 6575[/QUOTE]

Oh, sure, now they send the offer out. Right after I opted to add a couple other offerings to the collection.:wall:

Do you have a link to this CVA Paramount page?

They are not alone in this. Lots of great factory rifles out there, ignition systems, not so much!

Knight has had over 20 years to fix theirs, and Remington has had over 5 years to fix theirs, yet not a wimper about it.

I'm sure CVA has signed a licensing agreement for a period of time with the Variflames, give them 5 or 20 years to come to their senses. Maybe they never will, either?
Hey Busta, I wanted to post a lil update on my new Paramount & thought I'd start right here & on this subject. I finally got to make some thunder for the 1st time yesterday. WOW That darn thing packs a heck of a whallop. The only thing I've ever shot that even comes close to it is a .300 Weatherby mag. B/A. I loaded it up w/105gr BW & the ELR'S. Standard CCI LRP BR-2's & started @ 50yards. Then @100 yards. I shot 10 rounds, zero barrel cleaning/zero prob reloading all 10. I shot 1- 1.5" high adjd scope then next 2 thru same hole 3.5" high & dead center. Honestly, at 58 215 lbs not in good health, my shoulder did not wanna see shot #11 at all. LOL Now I'm 100% sure a break IS coming in the very near future. Trying to find anyone in north-central Fl. to thread the barrel is proving to be about impossible. I'll keep lookin. I have to learn how to remove the barrel first so I don't have to mail the whole gun. I am SUPER pleased to announce; I listened to what someone on the Paramount page said about " not tightening the bp all the way in, or backing it out a few deg." to stop the now very well known leak issues with those Variflames. I did ecactly that- Tightened it in snug, then backed it out about 30deg. ZERO LEAKS W/ALL 10 SHOTS YEAAAAAAA Great idea! TY. Kind regards bud

…………. Now I'm 100% sure a break IS coming in the very near future. Trying to find anyone in north-central Fl. to thread the barrel is proving to be about impossible. I'll keep lookin....

Contact Levi at LR Customs, although not in FL. Levi can put a brake on a pencil and it WILL be done right.
I'd suggest the T-Rex.

Daggone brotha, now ya got me feelin like a cat crappin tac's over the scope news ya hit me with. We have the exact same scope, mine has the EBR 7C IR FFP. I shot my first 10 rounds thru my new Paramount yesterday. I got the scope mounted on 1pc DNZ Game Reaper. I got it keyholing @ 50yards, then @ 100yards was 1'5" low, adj scope & was keyholed the next 2 at 3'5" high & set the zero there ( for now). The scope performed excellently as well as the whole gun & the ELR's. I'll set up a 200 & 300 yard target sometime soon & post my results. I started out right off w/105gr BW BH209. WOW whatta kick that thing has. A break is going to be a " must " for me to be able to shoot accurately at extended ranges & to be able to enjoy shooting it more than 1-3 times in succession. I too hope that this scope isn't a " LEMON ". I really can't afford the time, aggravation, & increased cost ( Optics Planet gave me the scope for 700.00 to my door as a replacement for the back ordered Shepherd scope I orig ordered) of having to replace it due to it not being able to handle this level of recoil. Thank you for the heads up, well wishes, & sharing your experience with it to me & the rest of the class. Kind regards

Last edited:
Contact Levi at LR Customs, although not in FL. Levi can put a brake on a pencil and it WILL be done right.
I'd suggest the T-Rex.
Thanks, Yes, I've heard the same thing about Levi & the T Rex brake. The brake he makes for ML's is called ( MZ-Rex ) he sells a kit w/funnel, guide, ramrod extention for 235.00. Thats exactly where I'm heavily leaning. I have also looked at Hankins brakes & Luke at Arrowhead, both make great products ( they both are very skilled & take great pride in their work ). I as a skilled tradesman all my life really appreciate & respect that immensely. Price wise, all in all, when ya get everything ya need to brake & load your ML it's all pretty close in prices. And quality as well I must say. Thank you for the suggestion. Paying it forward is always a great thing. Kind regards

Good to know, I was thinking of trying them in my ultra lite 45 but I had some less than good results in the past with power belts
I've used powerbelts in all 4 of my .50 Thompson inlines w/1:28 28" barrels AFTER trying a bunch of other bullet types from diff manufacturers & a variety if weights. In my Thunderhawk & Firehawk I just used 2-50gr Pyrodex pellets & a 348gr Powerbelt copper aerotip & in my 2 Omega's I used 3-50gr Pyrodex pellets & the 223gr aerotips with nothing but happy successful shooting & hunting out to 250+yards was my farthest deer kill with the Omega. I've used them all from 223-225gr to the 348's. They all did well. I have nothing but good things to say about the powerbelts, I'd never choose any sabot over any powerbelt. Ever. I'm always sorry & a bit confused when I hear some guys saying they don't like the powerbelts & or they didn't perform or shoot accurately for them. I, after my fairly extensive use & 100% success with them all & I think in all fairness & being a very logical minded individual can't help but take into consideration what they must be doing wrong either with their load or loading method, or their barrel twist isn't suited for them at whatever load they may be using thats contributing to those issues & not the powerbelt itself. Kind regards

Thanks, Yes, I've heard the same thing about Levi & the T Rex brake. The brake he makes for ML's is called ( MZ-Rex ) he sells a kit w/funnel, guide, ramrod extention for 235.00. Thats exactly where I'm heavily leaning...………..

I use the MZ-Rex CSTM model brake on my custom. It'll tame the heaviest charges of BH right down. Quite a few RUM and UF owners use the MZ-Rex brake to tame those Ultiamtes.
Not saying other brakes are bad, just my experience with both tactical and radial brakes.
Good luck. Looking forward to some long range reports and target photos.

Just so you know, Ninering62, key holing is a bad thing, it means your bullets hit the target sideways. I’m guessing you meant your shooting bug holes with the bullets touching, that’s a good thing and nice shooting!
Thanks for pointing out my miss-use of the word Keyholing. I meant putting more than 1 round through the same hole without being able to tell with the naked eye that more than 1 bullet went through that hole. I haven't been able to shoot anything at all in the last 6 years since I came here to Fl. Though my eyes are in bad shape & getting worse every yr. with the high power scope I bought is a huge help. I still shoot pretty darn well. I'm proud of myself still being able to shoot like that really. Especially considering the total redneck hucklebuck shooting bench & folding metal chair I have. My rear rest is 6lbs of sand ( here in Fl. theres lots of it everywhere ya step) in an old cold weather hunting sock, stuffed inside another heavy cold weather hunting sock. It's really great actually & did not cost me 60.00 + shipping either. My front rest is cinderblock with 2x8's stacked 4 high w/2 old Tee shirts on top of them. Total High Dollar competition setup LMAO but I can still shoot the " Jewels " off a fly @ 100 yards. I'm super pleased " So Far " with the Paramount, the Vortex Viper, & the ELR's.

I use the MZ-Rex CSTM model brake on my custom. It'll tame the heaviest charges of BH right down. Quite a few RUM and UF owners use the MZ-Rex brake to tame those Ultiamtes.
Not saying other brakes are bad, just my experience with both tactical and radial brakes.
Good luck. Looking forward to some long range reports and target photos.
Thank you so much. So am I

Back