CVA Paramount Update

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you need the wad to help the bullet orbituate into the rifling with the slower 209? I know a lot of the smokeless guys don't use wads so I figured I would ask.

Yes, I believe it helps if you're shooting blackhorn, I do believe both bullets I was using today, the pittmans and the Furys would have worked okay without the wad. But the combination worked real good with the 250 fury,, and the 275, anyway more shooting tomorrow maybe I'll try shooting a group with the 250 furys with no wad, I'm still learning this rifle .

Personally I think the Paramount's are going to be more accurate it around 85 or 90 grains by weight than they are with the full loads,,, I know for marketing purposes CVA is advertising the high velocity achievement, I do not have a chronograph setup, and I probably won't ,I'm first and foremost about accuracy I can learn my bullets trajectory and put it anywhere I want to put it that's ,,practical,,I do know this anyone shooting those guns that's not used to that kind of recoil is going to struggle shooting them,,without a brake,, I've had two Remington ultimate muzzleloaders they didn't make it in the accuracy department pull both barrels off and put Arrowhead remage barrel nut barrels on them, they are one hole smokeless guns now,as far as out-of-the-box accuracy and quality I would rather have this Paramount than four or five of those Remington ultimate muzzleloader, I hope cva builds off the success of the original Paramount, I do believe they built their bore and barrels dimensions around that bullet, if I was CVA I would offer a Paramount in a 1 in 20 twist with bore dimensions closer to a Brux or a Krieger barrel, however having said that if you got to Paramount get a bullet die and play with other bullets,I had to back my die to practically nothing yesterday all I was doing was barely kissing those bullets in my sizer,, I have a 450-457 Wilson barrel that Luke built for me I shoot it on a Remington short action smokeless it will not shoot Pittman's or Arrowhead bullets very well but it really loves the furys, I'm finding the initial same results in this Paramount bore,,again I'm not looking at it exact bore dimensions I'm just going by the results I see on the surface and down range.. I'm a Paramount fan I'm going to keep learning about the gun

All right I just shot 85 grains by weight, fury 250 star tip wool wad very loose seating pressure like I do my smokeless guns, I know those star tips don't kill cardboard and gelatin as well as some bullets please don't show this to that man in Michigan that makes these ,maybe we should call those Master starship Target bullets or something instead of just our star tipif I took them to a match I guess I could always hide them in my pocket if everybody else was shooting those fancy sharp bullets
Now that's what I'm talkin about monkey, great shooting, great data. Thank you kind regards

Mr. Wiggins sent me some 250 grain 40 cal Pittman's, figured I would shoot them in a 20 twist before I try the 22s shot this group in a 450- 457 Wilson barrel Arrowhead plug and brass module, 80 grains by weight of blackhorn I don't know about Match winning but that would deer hunt ,, we'll shoot them in several other barrels this week and report results

Attachments

• IMG_20200202_123144460_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200202_123144460_HDR.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 6
Thought I'd show a picture of that rifle,, laminate bubinga and curly Birch barrel nut,, Wilson barrel, and by the way it's the most forgiving smokeless rig I have,, not the most accurate but the most accurate with all the bullets I shoot,, no muzzle brake

Attachments

• IMG_20200202_114135605_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200202_114135605_HDR.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 32
Is that a laminate of two pieces or just a lighter grain variation, suspect the latter?

I tried 85 grains of blackhorn by weight with the 40 cal 250 grain pitman, that was in the 1-20 Wilson barrel sabot failure. I will drop back down to 70 and 75 see how that does

That laminate 45 I posted a picture of will shoot the 240 cutting-edge and a light blue sabot and the 225 Pittman 40 in the light blue Sabor less than an inch all day as long as I keep the powder charges of blackhorn mild,,I've killed a couple of deer with that 70 grains by weight and that 240 cutting edge very happy with that as a hunting load, as for the 250 Pittman I think you're probably right

84 grains of blackhorn wool wad, 6 shots 250 fury star tip, Wilson barrel, Arrowhead plug,decided to try that 84 grains of blackhorn that I shot yesterday in the Paramount actually I shot 85 grains yesterday, this is a smokeless gun, got some wind blowing left to right 2- 10 power sightron scope this is my hunting smokeless muzzleloader it likes blackhorn also and fury bullets, this Wilson barrel shoots everything I put in it

Attachments

• IMG_20200202_170942765_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200202_170942765_HDR.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 9
The first five are in 1/2 inch glob the one on the far left is a 6shot, 250 fury 250 fury 250 fury 250, I promise I'll shoot some different bullets next weekend and yes I sleep with those bullets

Back on the Paramount this week and next weekend and I'll go back and shoot those 250 star tips again,, I'm going to check out The parkers in the 250 to 275 range too

So I'm very curious, the results I'm looking for are 200yd range and whether shots are taken off sandbags, bipod, freehand, or whatever. These bullets are all ones I've contemplated but not knowing shooting conditions and distance makes it hard to correlate to repeatability. Please include details so I can understand bullet accuracy and performance.
Thank you for testing all these different projectiles.

I'll be shooting the Paramount for the next 3 months every weekend and sometimes during the week, very good success this weekend with the 250 and a 275 fury , evidently there's a love-hate thing going on with that bullet with a lot of people,, I do hope to get one of the higher BC bullets shooting as accurately ,
I will be shooting nothing but premium or premium type bullets, I do plink a little with cheap bullet sometimes,, if they shoot a hole

Latest posts

Back