CVA Paramount Update

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is similar to a star tip you might have to ask Dennis for a more complete description at fury bullets , I will post a picture of the bullet later today when I can catch Wi-Fi, anyway just to remind everyone interested in more bullets for the Paramount the 250 star tip, 275 * tip and the new 265 prototype all shot better than the blue spaceship in my Paramount,I know those that want to shoot other bullets are probably going to have to buy sizing die but that doesn't really cost that much.

I also shot the new bullet smokeless, it has a thinner jacket I think Dennis designed more for blackhorn speeds. I want to try the bullet and several other rifles I'll be ordering some

it is similar to a star tip you might have to ask Dennis for a more complete description at fury bullets , I will post a picture of the bullet later today when I can catch Wi-Fi, anyway just to remind everyone interested in more bullets for the Paramount the 250 star tip, 275 * tip and the new 265 prototype all shot better than the blue spaceship in my Paramount,I know those that want to shoot other bullets are probably going to have to buy sizing die but that doesn't really cost that much.

I'll help you out ;)
Its the bullet in the photo on the far right that's the 265gr. with .015" jacket.
Others are from left to right, the 250gr plastic tip with .015" jacket, the 275gr plastic tip w/thicker jacket, then the 300gr lead tip.

IMG_1872.JPG

I haven't tried that 300 grain lead tip it looks good to me,, and yes I'll follow fury bullets around to all their concerts I'm a groupie

I haven't tried that 300 grain lead tip it looks good to me,, and yes I'll follow fury bullets around to all their concerts I'm a groupie
The lead tip also has the .015" jacket. The note in the package says, not for smokeless.
As time and weather allows, I think I'll back the charge down from 84grs to 75grs and shoot that bullet again.

I like the thinner jackets for blackhorn,I mentioned it I had real good success with my CVA Accura mountain rifle 1 in 28 twist with Furys 250 star tip, I'm curious what that 265 in a sabot is going to do in that little mountain rifle. I do have other options for my Paramount now I like having options

This is at 265 prototype, not sure if I posted that or not that was 83.5 grains by weight of blackhorn,shot in the Paramount oh and by the way that group to the right was a 275 grain star tip last week also in the Paramount

Attachments

• IMG_20200225_183251369.jpg
    IMG_20200225_183251369.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 17
This is seven shots,, the six shots to the right of the target was my group, the shot that's on the black was the last bullet I held about 1 foot of wind to see if I could hit it,if you take the set of calipers and measure from the top bullets down to the bullets on the right side it's also about 2.7
The top 3 & the bottom 2 are very nice. But what do ya think caused the elevation change in that group? Still bud, very nice shooting indeed. Kind regards

The wind in that group was blowing from 11 to 4 left right, I think the rest of the issue was just me,I do think the gun in the load would probably perform a little bit better if it was up to maybe 90 grains or 95 but I'm just going to stay in that 84, 85 grain by weight area for the match people's sake, and my shoulders untiI get a break put on the gun.

I was holding some wind but I wasn't studying the wind if that makes sense ,,I think if I had a wind flag out and had been shooting in more consistent wind velocities I might not have had the elevation change, when you're getting out past 200 yards in your only shooting 83 grains of blackhorn you have to really start watching for a consistent wind to pull the trigger

I shot the Paramount at 300 yards yesterday evening had a pretty good wind left to right,, 83.5 grains of blackhorn by weight, drop down to my 6 reticle cross, the Paramount is a 300 yard rifle we'll see about more, this is a 265 fury 453 prototype

i assume this is a 265 grsin Gury bullet but what is a 453 prototype? Also is this a .45 caliber and what are your thoughts as a hunting bullet on deer or elk? Thanks for info

It is a new bullet that Dennis at fury bullets just put together, most of Dennis's muzzleloader bullets are .452 he made these .453 for the larger Paramount bore,.453gives us just a little bit more diameter so we can size slightly in a die,, these bullets have a thinner jacket they will perform well at blackhorn speeds I believe they're going to be a excellent bullet for deer and elk,, and so far they absolutely destroy holes!

The 265 is a . 453 diameter bullet instead of a . 452,prototype was just in reference to it still being experimental I'm not sure what Dennis will end up calling the bullet I'll be shooting them I can tell you that

I got a new Primo bench rest & some Fury .453 265gr prototype bullets I loaded with 98gr BH209.
The group was 6 shots in .75"
Which isn't bad once I settled into this new gun & it's recoil with those loads. I still only have put less than 25 rounds thru it.
Once the new brake is installed & as I continue to grow into the gun, I expect the groups to tighten even more. The gun didn't like the 250gr proto's as well with a 5 shot group of 1.75" with same BH charge. I was thrilled to see the 265's group well. I sent Dennis at Fury the pic & data last night. He was pleased & abit surprised to see the MV I was getting shooting a group like that. So was I.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 39
I
The 265 is a . 453 diameter bullet instead of a . 452,prototype was just in reference to it still being experimental I'm not sure what Dennis will end up calling the bullet I'll be shooting them I can tell you that
I am with ya there bud, I'll be ordering more .453 265gr Fury's myself. Very soon.

I thought I'd add some more details to my last post.
Dist.-100yds by LRF
.453 265gr Fury Proto bullets were just barely kissed in a Hankins sizing die to .4525-6
No wad was used.
Light wind approx 5mph R to L
All shots were loaded one right after another. No barrel cool time. No cleaning bore between shots.
Procedure was simply : charge, load, prime, fire. Repeat immediately.
No issues whatsoever with the bore fouling to where the next load tension noticeably increased at all. The ballistic data shows that too. CCI LRP used, NOT the LRMP's. Here's my total hucklebuck set up & new equipment. Nothin to expensive. Nothin real fancy. The chrony works with Caldwell free app on my phone. Attached with a 25' cord included. Anything I may have forgotten or any questions just ask. Kind regards all

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 30
I thought I'd add some more details to my last post.
Dist.-100yds by LRF
.453 265gr Fury Proto bullets were just barely kissed in a Hankins sizing die to .4525-6
No wad was used.
Light wind approx 5mph R to L
All shots were loaded one right after another. No barrel cool time. No cleaning bore between shots.
Procedure was simply : charge, load, prime, fire. Repeat immediately.
No issues whatsoever with the bore fouling to where the next load tension noticeably increased at all. The ballistic data shows that too. CCI LRP used, NOT the LRMP's. Here's my total hucklebuck set up & new equipment. Nothin to expensive. Nothin real fancy. The chrony works with Caldwell free app on my phone. Attached with a 25' cord included. Anything I may have forgotten or any questions just ask. Kind regards all

Nice setup that works.

Question: I have not learned …. yet.... to take a screen shot on my phone. How is that done? Is it done by the camera icon, then just saved in your phone? I also use the Caldwell chronograph, but I just take a photo of my phone. Not used to all this smart phone stuff yet. Oh, I use an iPhone, not Android.

UPDATE: :) I just asked the phone how to make a screen shot. It told me to hold down the side button and main button.
CRAZY what these new phones are capable of!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back