Federal BOR Lock MZ testing

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
With the temp being a really comfortable wind free 35* I decided to take my Wolf out to 100 yards and give the BOR Lock's a try.

120gr Pyrodex Pellets did horrible. I recovered the black base and it had NO rifling in it whatsoever.
img_4013.jpg

Next up was 90gr Olde Eynsford 2f black powder. Accuracy improved but for some reason, every shot after that had a flier on #3. Recovered the base WITH rifling marks in it this time!
img_4014.jpg

Reloaded with 110 grains volume Olde Eynsford 2f. 3rd shot fliers the charm once again!
img_4015.jpg

During all this shooting, I did not clean the bore out once. I wanted to see if the Fouling cutting ring base worked like they claim. With Pyrodex and Olde Eynsford and MUSKET cap ignition, it worked great and you could see the dust coming up out of the bore as you pushed it down. What ever crud ring was at the breech, was easily pushed through. With a 209 primer and T7 or Pyrodex, this could be a different story however. A musket cap is a lot cooler than the standard W209 primer we'd normally use with Pyrodex.
img_4016.jpg

img_4017.jpg

I will take pictures of the bases and bullet I recovered with my 110gr OE load.

For those of you that use BH209 in the 100-110 grain area, don't worry, These bullets WILL expand with no problem on game. I originally recovered a bullet with my 90gr OE l had shot but stupidly lost it when I stepped on it and it went into a mud pile. It had expanded to almost the same size as the one I will post a picture of later on.

FINALLY!! I used the V2 Accura this time around with 100gr BH209 and the group was excellent. It boils down to this... If you are not shooting BH209, swab between shots, otherwise, accuracy will suck due to the fouling in the bore. That scraper may cut through the crud for easy loading, but accuracy will be poor.

I also had great accuracy in my Optima V2 with Bh209, I just don't know it's ability to drop a deer where it stands I think it would also work great in the optima pistol.

If a 50 cal conical won't drop a deer in its tracks I don't know what will lol .  I used 400 gr platinum hollow points knurled up to a 504 and the damage they did to Felton DE deer were unreal no tracking at all.

When I did my water jug test at 100 and 200 yards with them it showed what they looked like, either open or closed, if you did your part, they would do there part with NO PROBLEM.

Dave

Clyde said:
If a 50 cal conical won't drop a deer in its tracks I don't know what will lol .  I used 400 gr platinum hollow points knurled up to a 504 and the damage they did to Felton DE deer were unreal no tracking at all.
400 gr Platinum?

Platinum Tipped I think Winchester uses them in some of there 50 cal pistol loads

this group looks huge but its not for 5 shots lol. The orange is a 3" bulls eye. I plan on testing again soon on a clean target. This was was a little messy but the targets are not cheap in this size.
img_4021.jpg

"This was was a little messy but the targets are not cheap in this size."

Why do you use those expensive 'glowing' targets? NRA or Leupold targets are much cheaper.
Usually a spotting scope or binocs are necessary to see the holes clearly regardless of the target if you're shooting 100 yards +.

FrontierGander said:
this group looks huge but its not for 5 shots lol. The orange is a 3" bulls eye. I plan on testing again soon on a clean target. This was was a little messy but the targets are not cheap in this size.
img_4021.jpg
Is this using BH209 and swabbing bwtween shots?? 100 grs or 110grs? Thanks good shooting.

BH209 and NO swabbing. 100 grains volume.

Bob, I had the target set up earlier for open sight shooting with my Optima. Its such a BIG target that I like to use up as much as possible.

Going out here later today with them and doing another test with bore cots over the muzzle VS no bore cot.

little rubber like condom that slips over your muzzle to keep debris and water out.
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t1511-bore-cot-keep-the-weather-out?highlight=bore+cot

MUCH cleaner target this time! The 2 shots on the right are with a bore cot installed, the other 4 on the left are without the bore cot.
img_4110.jpg

Next up was 110 grains BH209. I swear, this rifle does NOT like 110 grains at all.
img_4111.jpg

It was just to beautiful NOT to shoot today! I mean look at this! Its in the high 40's, a little windy here and there at times, nice bright warm sun and to top it off, a flock of turkeys came by while I was driving the ATV back to the shooting range!
img_4112.jpg

img_4113.jpg

img_4115.jpg

Latest posts

Back