Got Coreys CVA Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent!

Heres the hammer. I am going to let it sit naked for a couple days to darken even more and then oil it down.
Picture454.jpg

Its coming out good so far. The damn lockplate on the other hand is giving me trouble so i may have to open up the steel with some sand paper and see how that does. I believe i had to do that on my other locks too.

Its not hard, just some things that come at you that you have to learn from.

Barrel is lookin really good.

Tang looks like it will be done tomorrow. Drum is about a day or 2 away.

Just the one. I am going to install the new unshot drum so its fresh for you.

hey frontier, its jess, i am thinking the lighter stain on the stock might look nice in contrast to the browning, what do you think?

i'll take pictures of the stock in each stage before adding more. I'll let you and corey decide when its enough.

sounds great, corey is rather excited about his hawkins. I can't wait to see the pictures as the progress goes on, you a great job. Thank you so much.
Jess

I am having fun with it! I know you guys had to spend a little more money on sights and stuff but it will be well worth it! A hunting rifle wont do what its supposed to unless it has good sights!

Probably will strip the stock tomorrow.

it is ok, jess is already gave to ok for that. showed her the sight I am getting. just need the price to figure out how much it is going to be

Picked up the stain and tru oil today. I'll start on that possibly tomorrow. Have to see what kind of stripper i have as it will save me a lot of time with sanding.

Front sight came in today corey, Exactly what we needed for this rifle!

I stripped the stock completely on one side and have a good part of the stain off on the other side. After its stripped i'll give it a scrubbing with bleach and then fine sand it.

I got most of that gouge out of the stock near the rear part of the lock too. Whats left will add some "antique" to it.

Also steelwooled the barrel back down some to cut down the scale and then added another coat of LMF. Very smooth! I am thinking 3 or 4 coats will do it. The lock is also taking on rust finally.

that silver front blade will look great on the brown barrel. Going to add a coat of lmf to the barrel before i go to bed.

Latest posts

Back