Hodgdon

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and smokeless is probably the way i will go in the future.
Kinda shaping up that way aint it muzzy !!! Have good smoker hunting combo's and practice ALOT with smokeless . I know i want to have both with about identical preformance if i can . Just makes sense anymore .
I dont give a dam about matching my 300 win mags 3150fps either !!!

Last edited:
Nito did stop by the Traditions display. Allison probably sounds like a broken record to most following this thread by now, but here it is.

Thanks Nito!

It would be nice to hear what Federal and Hodgdon have to say about the "triple ei8ht" powder. Is it classified as smokeless it is it a black powder substitute? It would also be nice to pick their brains on future developments on the powder.

Last edited:
Nito did stop by the Traditions display. Allison probably sounds like a broken record to most following this thread by now, but here it is.

Thanks Nito!

It would be nice to hear what Federal and Hodgdon have to say about the "triple ei8ht" powder. Is it classified as smokeless it a black powder substitute? It would also be nice to pick their brains on future developments on the powder.

Its not a bad looking gun. Was that Cerakoted? Does Traditions make their own barrels? What twist? I assume its 1:24 or 1:28.

Its not a bad looking gun. Was that Cerakoted? Does Traditions make their own barrels? What twist? I assume its 1:24 or 1:28.

They use Lothar Walther barrels in their center fire rifles. I'm thinking that this might be the Center Fire receiver, and why it is a 4473 firearm. If you look at the barrel profile, it has the larger diameter breech end of about 6", before it steps down to the actual barrel diameter, like the Outfitter G2 does. The regular muzzleloaders all have a smaller diameter barrel and profile at the breech end. They used to use Wilson Barrels just a few years ago.

It's a 1:28 .50 caliber. Boy, never seen one of those before. lol

They have 10 different SKU's here, and the bronze CeraKote.

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/category/nitrofire-muzzleloader-series

Go Wild Rockstar

CR8488429NS_NitroFire_GoWildRockstar_WEB.jpg

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/...m-cerakote-finish-no-sights-federal-firestick

Sideshow.

Are you saying blackhorn can't be used in bootle neck cases or in a muzzleloader with a enlarged powder chamber?

Im from Michigan also, In the Thumb. LOL, I through that in so the fellas asking about trolls and Yoopers would have more questions. We figure when we go hunting you better know a good Lawyer or take one with you. Thankfully we have one in the group.

Sideshow.

Are you saying blackhorn can't be used in bootle neck cases or in a muzzleloader with a enlarged powder chamber?
Both .
When i called that is what i was told . Have you found differently bestill ?? I asked about a chamber sized so a compressed charge would extend up into the bore before seating the bullet too . Would have been a nice gain i believe .

Last edited:
Well they have load data on western powder site for cartridge rifle which includes 30/30

Many blackhorn specific custom builds have powder chambers in them to shorten powder column and keep barrel length down for large charges.

Dont see much performance gains or losses.

To me seems blackhorn is perfect for chambers or bottleneck cases since it's nitrocellulose based propellant.

I would think black and other subs explosives may respond differently in chambers or bottleneck and have negative results

Well they have load data on western powder site for cartridge rifle which includes 30/30

Many blackhorn specific custom builds have powder chambers in them to shorten powder column and keep barrel length down for large charges.

Dont see much performance gains or losses.

To me seems blackhorn is perfect for chambers or bottleneck cases since it's nitrocellulose based propellant.

I would think black and other subs explosives may respond differently in chambers or bottleneck and have negative results
They said i couldnt do it with a chamber shaped like a 308 's . Larger and with more angle vs 30--30 style shape .

They said i couldnt do it with a chamber shaped like a 308 's . Larger and with more angle vs 30--30 style shape .
I knew black or other subs you have bulgeing problems . That was discovered way back .

I knew black or other subs you have bulgeing problems . That was discovered way back .
I was told they really didnt reccomend it for any bottleneck actually . I didnt know so thats why i called cuz of how bh is made i thought maybe .....?? But nope .

Back