Hodgdon

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guessing that the portion of the "hull" mouth comprising the roll crimp, unrolls to the rear face of that shelf and creates a consistent "chamber" diameter until expanding in the beginning of the rifled bore against the projectile's base, rather than allowing the expanding gases to run up against any inflexible constrictions in diameter. Just a theory. :think:

(For something almost none of us want to say we would ever buy, this system sure is stimulating some interesting technical conversation and SWAGs!)
If you look at that shelf its angled just like a cf shoulder on the bottom or powder side . Even if it unrolls the tbing is larger than the shelfs hole by a significant margine . I can see this is not being understood for its ability to significantly boost velocity . Or this t8 ability to do it safely . I repeat , its a Big Deal !!!!!!!

Iowa Reg.

"MUZZLELOADERS: Flintlock or percussion cap muzzleloading rifles or muskets between .44 and .775 caliber shooting single projectiles; muzzleloading pistols .44 caliber or larger. Muzzleloaders equipped with electronic ignition are not allowed. In-line and disk-type muzzleloaders are allowed. Riflescopes may also be used."

Most likely, it will be legal in Iowa. I believe I read where the stick may cost around $2.60 a shot. I can get BH209 for $19 (last years price) a bottle on clearance,at Walmart. That sale should start pretty soon. I average about $.45 a shot with the different loads I shoot, anywhere from 70-120gr Volume in my rifles. Factor in my hunting bullet at $1-$1.80 a bullet, I'm shooting a $1.50-$2.30 hunting load, still cheaper than one stick. That alone, will keep me from using that stick.

Iowa Reg.

"MUZZLELOADERS: Flintlock or percussion cap muzzleloading rifles or muskets between .44 and .775 caliber shooting single projectiles; muzzleloading pistols .44 caliber or larger. Muzzleloaders equipped with electronic ignition are not allowed. In-line and disk-type muzzleloaders are allowed. Riflescopes may also be used."

Most likely, it will be legal in Iowa. I believe I read where the stick may cost around $2.60 a shot. I can get BH209 for $19 (last years price) a bottle on clearance,at Walmart. That sale should start pretty soon. I average about $.45 a shot with the different loads I shoot, anywhere from 70-120gr Volume in my rifles. Factor in my hunting bullet at $1-$1.80 a bullet, I'm shooting a $1.50-$2.30 hunting load, still cheaper than one stick. That alone, will keep me from using that stick.
I agree but i sure hope that powder is sold loose !!!!! Tbe 700ml i got is still on the drawing board and id make use of T8 and a velocity chamber in 40 or 45 thats for sure !!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't care less about the rifle. The fact that it's a Traditions inline precludes me from purchasing one. I'm real interested in this as a loose powder. I'm guessing the potential is there in the chemical engineering field to develop a corrosion free BP sub. Maybe? My thought is that if this new setup is really designed to be trouble free, maybe that's where they went with it.
I don't think the tube unrolls. To me it looks like it's a lot thicker plastic and has a card on the end that burns/blows out the end. Also notice there's a large hole in the bottom where the primer goes. There has to be some sort of plastic or glue, something that will burn quickly but can still seal up watertight.

Sorry mike, i misread that. heres the quote below.

The new Hodgdon Triple 8 powder burns very efficiently and greatly reduces the amount of unburnt powder and residue in the barrels. Due to powder being in the capsule, there is no powder touching and igniting directly inside of the barrel. The bullet seats on the bullet shelf, not on top of powder. All this means the FireStick system generally reduces the traditional “powder ring” black powder shooters have come to recognize in the barrel after repeated firings. A powder ring left unclean can lead to barrel corrosion. With the FireStick, there is less or no powder ring to clean, so risk of barrel corrosion is also less.

The new Hodgdon Triple 8 is not designed for water-based clean-up. Using a cleaning solvent provides an effective and efficient job cleaning.

I couldn't care less about the rifle. The fact that it's a Traditions inline precludes me from purchasing one. I'm real interested in this as a loose powder. I'm guessing the potential is there in the chemical engineering field to develop a corrosion free BP sub. Maybe? My thought is that if this new setup is really designed to be trouble free, maybe that's where they went with it.
I don't think the tube unrolls. To me it looks like it's a lot thicker plastic and has a card on the end that burns/blows out the end. Also notice there's a large hole in the bottom where the primer goes. There has to be some sort of plastic or glue, something that will burn quickly but can still seal up watertight.
I believed that to be a card too . This T8 could be very promiseing . Thats about all i see here that interests me .

The CAD Drawing cutaway shows the tube to have tapered walls, and a Roll Crimp.
Firestick-Red-Cutaway-Rear-of-Package-Rendering-768x631~2.png

I took the liberty to brighten and zoom in.
Firestick-Red-Cutaway-Rear-of-Package-Rendering-768x631~10.png Firestick-Red-Cutaway-Rear-of-Package-Rendering-768x631~14.png

However the real thing does look a little different.
firestick-2-1806x2048~3.jpg

Notice the end appears to have been heated and roll crimped over what appears to me to be a pressed styrofoam over powder wad. It has to be something like styrofoam, that will disintegrate as soon as the charge is ignited.
firestick-2-1806x2048~7.jpg

The primer pocket on the CAD Drawing appears to have a thin polymer membrane that the primer will have to burn through.
Firestick-Red-Cutaway-Rear-of-Package-Rendering-768x631~13.png

It would be nice to see a cutaway of the actual FiddleStick. Then it would leave no question as to what is really going on.

View attachment 7245

View attachment 7250 View attachment 7246

View attachment 7249

Notice the end appears to have been heated and roll crimped over what appears to me to be a pressed styrofoam over powder wad. It has to be something like styrofoam, that will disintegrate as soon as the charge is ignited.
View attachment 7248

The primer pocket on the CAD Drawing appears to have a thin polymer membrane that the primer will have to burn through.
View attachment 7247

It would be nice to see a cutaway of the actual FiddleStick. Then it would leave no question as to what is really going on.
Nice work, I love detail "a picture is worth 1,000 words"

View attachment 7245

View attachment 7250 View attachment 7246

View attachment 7249

View attachment 7248

View attachment 7247

The truly cool part is what i said earlier Busta . THATS the true tech !!! That fiddlestick reminds me of the old Active Shotshells hull . Really nothing new . Tbeyve built in bottleneck preformance tbat is integral to this system . Never before in bpowder bistory has this been done sucessfully . That powder IS SPECIAL . The DeLaval Constriction is what is used in rocket engines and spaceflight . Its part of the laws of pbysics in operation , ie ---.Bernouilli's principle primarily . Dont miss whats going on with their system . It IS historical . Does this make it an mz.....kinda , proprietary definately . Its all about that beveled ledge and Hodgdons T8 .

Last edited:
The truly cool part is what i said earlier Busta . THATS the true tech !!! That fiddlestick reminds me of the old Active Shotshells hull . Really nothing new . Tbeyve built in bottleneck preformance tbat is integral to this system . Never before in bpowder bistory has this been done sucessfully . That powder IS SPECIAL . The DeLaval Constriction is what is used in rocket engines and spaceflight . Its part of the laws of pbysics in operation , ie ---.Bernouilli's principle primarily . Dont miss whats going on with their system . It IS historical . Does this make it an mz.....kinda , protiatary definately . Its all about that beveled ledge and Hodgdons T8 .
Could this have been executed differently ??? Sure , but it wouldnt belong to Traditions , and them alone . The fiddlestick charged with T8 are all equal parts in this rendition of " MINE". The T8 most of all cuz it makes it possible .

Last edited:
the schematic has the powder recessed to the wad on the charge shell. Looks like its designed for that specific powerbelt proprietorially, with the recess designed to accommodate the powerbelts recessed base. This would leave almost any other projectile spaced off the charge. How must space is needed before the pressure spike becomes problematic?

the schematic has the powder recessed to the wad on the charge shell. Looks like its designed for that specific powerbelt proprietorially, with the recess designed to accommodate the powerbelts recessed base. This would leave almost any other projectile spaced off the charge. How must space is needed before the pressure spike becomes problematic?
Dunno ??? But its not a powerbelt . My guess is you mean the federal borelock . Does seem like this space should cause trouble dont it ??

the thread is long already, went back through and saw this. Isnt this exactly what we try to avoid? bulged barrels and worse have been caused by this sort of gap.

5-D0-D8-AE9-6824-4567-8-F38-15-BAAA1-F92-E0.png
At first I thought it would seat right in there, but that gap is alarming

the thread is long already, went back through and saw this. Isnt this exactly what we try to avoid? bulged barrels and worse have been caused by this sort of gap.

5-D0-D8-AE9-6824-4567-8-F38-15-BAAA1-F92-E0.png
At first I thought it would seat right in there, but that gap is alarming
I have a feeling it depends on the amount of space and the pressure curve of the propellant.

Could just be the artwork too . Space it apart so we can see it all .

Found a pic of the membrane between the primer and the powder on one of the orange 100 grain Volume equivalent FiddleSticks.
FederalFirestick~3.jpg

The over powder wad obviously has the Federal Logo pressed into it.
FederalFirestick~4.jpg

100 grain Volume Equivalent FiddleSticks.
FederalFirestick~2.jpg

They might be able to pull this off in Michigan, provided the triple ei8ght powder gets classified as a black powder substitute and not smokeless. The CWD Core Area and Management Zone has totally grayed our muzzleloading season forever.

"Muzzleloading Deer Seasons

An individual hunting deer with a muzzleloading firearm during the muzzleloading deer season shall only possess or carry afield, or take a deer with a crossbow, muzzleloading rifle, muzzleloading shotgun, or black-powder pistol, loaded with black-powder or a commercially manufactured black-powder
substitute. (Exception: in the CWD Management Zone and Core CWD Area muzzleloader season is open to all legal firearms, see pgs. 44 – 45.) Only
certified hunters with a disability may use a crossbow or a modified bow during the muzzleloading season in the Upper Peninsula, except in the UP Core CWD Surveillance Area where crossbows may be used. See “Archery Deer Seasons”
for possession and carry of firearms during the coinciding late archery deer
season."

Last edited:
Back