Hodgdon

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really curious about triple 8 , I hope it’s equivalent to black Horn, possibility of price war , I hope

The Michigan dnr doesnt tell you all the regs in the field guide booklet . Isnt that nice ??? You gotta look them up in another area of their site and be a Philidelphia lawyer to cipher most of them . !!! Welcome to Michigan......

Really curious about triple 8 , I hope it’s equivalent to black Horn, possibility of price war , I hope

Just be careful what you wish for! That street goes both ways.

With the price of these FiddleSticks @ $2.70+ tax a pop, it could actually be higher priced than Blackhorn 209, like all of their pellets are. Costs way more now to shoot their pellets, I'm thinking their new WizBang Powder might be even higher.

Wouldn't that be a kick in the stones!

Just be careful what you wish for! That street goes both ways.

With the price of these FiddleSticks @ $2.70+ tax a pop, it could actually be higher priced than Blackhorn 209, like all of their pellets are. Costs way more now to shoot their pellets, I'm thinking their new WizBang Powder might be even higher.

Wouldn't that be a kick in the stones!
Sure would be

There’s a ledge in there that prevents the bullet from being loaded from the breech.
5-D0-D8-AE9-6824-4567-8-F38-15-BAAA1-F92-E0.png

That ledge also prevents the powder charge from being loaded from the muzzle. Indiana's reg says that it can be loaded ONLY from the muzzle.

That ledge also prevents the powder charge from being loaded from the muzzle. Indiana's reg says that it can be loaded ONLY from the muzzle.
Right. It’s going to wind up being the way “loaded” gets defined. Since you can’t load a bullet from the breech, this can only be loaded from the muzzle. Some states regulations say that both the bullet and propellant must be loaded from the muzzle. In those states it won’t be legal.

Still researching triple (8) ei8ht,
Hodgdon website nothing under new products or muzzleloading, their FB page has one unanswered question and nothing at powder valley. Nothing I can find online at Shot Show 2020 except Firestick, wow, tight lipped is an understatement. No leaks anywhere.
Preparing for a lawsuit or a buyout of Western maybe like they did Goex and Winchester. Wish someone had industry contacts or info.

Guess that shoots that right in the axx . Thats about dumb , really dumb . Geezzzz......

That tells me that it probably didn't qualify as a black powder substitute, and is more than likely classified as smokeless. Thus the NitroFire.

Or it doesn't safely measure by VOLUME equivalents within the current parameters? It's also possible they didn't want to compete with their pellets. They have got to be their cash cow stronghold in the black powder substitute market anyways. No competition from anyone else, still making black ones for themselves, white ones for their IMR, and blue ones for Alliant.

I guess I'll just have to limp along with Blackhorn 209.

I honestly couldn't see triple ei8ht being less expensive than all their expensive pellets anyways. Would have more than likely drove the price of Blackhorn 209 UP, instead of DOWN.

This price gougeing is really getting old on this stuff . Tbey can do much better both on product and price .
Locally its kinda tuff to find blackhorn too . God i hate big bussiness.....

That tells me that it probably didn't qualify as a black powder substitute, and is more than likely classified as smokeless. Thus the NitroFire.

Or it doesn't safely measure by VOLUME equivalents within the current parameters? It's also possible they didn't want to compete with their pellets. They have got to be their cash cow stronghold in the black powder substitute market anyways. No competition from anyone else, still making black ones for themselves, white ones for their IMR, and blue ones for Alliant.

I guess I'll just have to limp along with Blackhorn 209.

I honestly couldn't see triple ei8ht being less expensive than all their expensive pellets anyways. Would have more than likely drove the price of Blackhorn 209 UP, instead of DOWN.
Nah , in order to qualify as a mz ( lol) its gotta be a sub .
This sounds more like bedtime legalities of exclusiveness to me .

Last edited:
My SMLs qualify as ML in my state and many many other states also. No FFL 3rd party needed. I bought bottles of BH209 every time i saw them on sale whether i needed it or not. I knew the ride would not continue except at places like Wally World season close outs. The 2 near me never seem to have any BH209.

Logical choice was to quit smoking for recreational shooting or use much less BH209. $40 or less per pound and charges as low as 39gr goes a long long way and still makes better speed. So there aint no chance im paying $2.70 per shot for just the powder. 70-80grV of BH209 and a cheap lead conical is just fine too. Tons of fun, cheap enough and easy to do. Legal to use nearly anywhere.

My SMLs qualify as ML in my state and many many other states also. No FFL 3rd party needed. I bought bottles of BH209 every time i saw them on sale whether i needed it or not. I knew the ride would not continue except at places like Wally World season close outs. The 2 near me never seem to have any BH209.

Logical choice was to quit smoking for recreational shooting or use much less BH209. $40 or less per pound and charges as low as 39gr goes a long long way and still makes better speed. So there aint no chance im paying $2.70 per shot for just the powder. 70-80grV of BH209 and a cheap lead conical is just fine too. Tons of fun, cheap enough and easy to do. Legal to use nearly anywhere.
Yes and they are TRUE mz's . Tbis one isnt In tbe same league .

Back