Hornaday 200 grain sst

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have used these bullets ever since I had my Knight 45 sml built.I really like these because they have worked great from 15 yds out to 246 yds on deer.My question is if I remove the plastic tip from them would that make them open up and be a better bullet?I found some at a gun show for $10.00 per 20 ct and bought 3 boxes.I also like to knurl these bullets,they seem to be rather easy to knurl.Thanks

In RonL test, when the bullet slows as in his 50grW/35grV testing - the results of bullets with tips seem to hinder expansion. You might send one to Ron to test.
Ive experimented with tips vs no tips and found no difference in BC/impact to 200yds.

Killed about ten hogs using the 200 grain SST fired from my .50 TC Black Diamond rifle, all were one shot kills. Several of those hogs weighed over 200 pounds.

How do 200gr SST compare to 200gr Shockwaves, terminally?

i don't know, never used the 200 grain Shockwave, nor will i ever use that bullet.

i have experience with both the 250 grain SST and the 250 grain Shockwave bullets. One deer season i had ran out of 250 grain SST bullets and used the 250 grain Shockwaves. The use of that bullet cost me some very long tracking and dragging jobs when the bullet failed to expand on deer and hogs. Worse, my use of that bullet caused animals to suffer needlessly.

i found some 250 grain SST bullets and fired the remaining Shockwave bullets at targets.

Thompson/Center .50 Caliber 200 Grain Shockwave Spire Point Polymer Tip Sabot Bullet 15-Pack 8238 - Tactical Defense Solutions | Dollar Guns & Ammo (tds-us.com)

The 200 grain 40 cal SST & Shockwave are the exact same bullet with Hornady installing a different color top for TC model. Same for the 45/250…..until you buy the BONDED model Shockwave (only offered in 45 cal) then they have a reputation for not opening up. Also the 40/200 has a much better terminal performance reputation than its 45 cal big brother versions.

Greg

That hard plastic nose inhibits expansion compared to the 250 grain SST. For me, the Shockwave failed to expand on deer and hogs at distances of 125 yards and less when driven by 120 grains Pyrodex.

Never tried the Bonded Shockwave.

Last yr was my first yr using the 250 gr sst. And my first yr with my cva. I killed 2 deer. One shot in the neck. And one behind the front leg. Both dropped in there tracks. I knew the one in the neck would. But i didnt know about the other one. I been very happy so far with the 250 gr sst.

Never had an issue with them opening up at 2200 to an estimated 900 fps. My issue was with core jacket separation after impact.
I switched to Barnes 250 grain TMZ and have not used them since.

I have used 250's with a smoker and .40cal 200 shockwaves with sml @ 2450mv (45cal saboted), both were very lethal, the 200 shockwave well the blood trail could have been found by Helen Keller. TC bonded would be better but it is hard to beat a solid for penetration.

I have used 250's with a smoker and .40cal 200 shockwaves with sml @ 2450mv (45cal saboted), both were very lethal, the 200 shockwave well the blood trail could have been found by Helen Keller. TC bonded would be better but it is hard to beat a solid for penetration.
What do you think the effectiveness of the .40 Shockwaves (.45cal rifle) with lower speeds is? I know many folks say they don't work well at avg ML velocities (ie: 1600-2000mv). I've shot them but not at game so I can't speak to it.

Mike,

October 2012 or thereabouts, saw three animals fall to the 200g sst. One deer at about 60 yard; one deer at about 160 yard, and a pronghorn at about 314 yard, Load was 115g Blackhorn. Rifle was 45 caliber. MV was about 2250 fps. Bullet is accurate, and it works for killing.

Tried to sneak closer to the antelope, but after belly crawl ended up exposed out open; had to shoot.

We can't use them during the muzzleloader season; haven't used them since that year.

Photos show the innards of the pronghorn out there. Seems the bullet is still working after slowing.

innard1.jpg

innard2.jpg

What do you think the effectiveness of the .40 Shockwaves (.45cal rifle) with lower speeds is? I know many folks say they don't work well at avg ML velocities (ie: 1600-2000mv). I've shot them but not at game so I can't speak to it.
My guess would be if you can get them close to 2000fps they would do well.

Get that bullet above 1800 ft per sec and will expand but the recoil will hurt at the bench . You won't notice it shooting at deer . Just don't panic focus on shot placement ant wait for the smoke to clear your view, but load next shot while looking down range and be ready to shoot in about 20 seconds practice two shots in 30 seconds at range.keep organized with your loading supply's and mark your ramrod for loaded barrel. Try it you will be surprised on how long it takes to load 2 shots in 30 seconds

Get that bullet above 1800 ft per sec and will expand but the recoil will hurt at the bench . You won't notice it shooting at deer . Just don't panic focus on shot placement ant wait for the smoke to clear your view, but load next shot while looking down range and be ready to shoot in about 20 seconds practice two shots in 30 seconds at range.keep organized with your loading supply's and mark your ramrod for loaded barrel. Try it you will be surprised on how long it takes to load 2 shots in 30 seconds
I’ve posted a cop times about my bad exp with them 200gr .40 SST’s. I got 10 packs of them a cop yrs ago when they were on sale. I shot them out of my .45 Accura V2. With 84gr W BH 209. My gun did not like the MMP sabots at all. I got HLBCR’s & then they shot really well on targets out to 200yds. But I shot 1 deer at about 30yds & another at about 70yds & both ran off never to be seen again. I’ll never hunt with them again.

Last edited:
I've only been able to use two so far...

A doe a few years back when that .40 SST first came out. 100 grains FFg 777 and she fell after a 40 yard dash.

Next was a coyote two years ago and he was drt!

Latest posts

Back