How far is to far for deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walleye

Reaction score
[/http://randywakeman.com/Barnes_Bu...max at 225yards. Is 258yards really to far?

I would suggest going up to the 290gr, either the TMZ or T-EZ bullets. The reason, IMO the 245gr MZ needs the velocity to open properly and consistently. I've taken many whitetail beyond 200, but to do that it takes practice. Its a requirement to shoot those ranges and know where the bullet will impact.

The biggest issue I've personally had with longer distances is not vertical drop, or bullet energy-those are easily calculated with a ballistics app and an accurate muzzle velocity, my problem has always been reading the wind at those distances. I can walk to my target at a range and judge wind generally-I can't do that while hunting, and these heavy projectiles get pushed a ton by the wind-just never trusted myself beyond a couple inches of possible wind drift.

Depends on who you ask if it's too far.

You probably don't want to ask me. :wink:

Whether its to far or not comes down to a combination of your skill, equipment and experience with shooting that far.

I will not shoot that far because i do not have the ability to practice at that type of range. I know Its currently beyond my comfort zone for an ethical shot.

MI_Bowhunter said:
Whether its to far or not comes down to a combination of your skill, equipment and experience with shooting that far.

I will not shoot that far because i do not have the ability to practice at that type of range. I know Its currently beyond my comfort zone for an ethical shot.

That there sums it right up. :yeah:

MI_Bowhunter said:

Agree 100%!

Too far?

For Grouse its 406 yds. :poke:

For Muley... 76 yds :poke:

:lol: :lol:

Except mine is self-controlled. Our range goes to 500yds. I use all of it with the right gun.

I have not shot at deer that far but have shot at coyotes at 250-300 yards a couple of times. When I have shot, by the time the smoke clears the coyotes have hauled butt and never know which direction they went.
Stupid question now- I know these sabots are relatively quick but any chance they are reacting to the sound of the gun and moving before sabot(300 grain SST) arrives?

I totally agree with bowhunter

But back to original post with245 spitfire the bullet will drop appx23" at 258 yds and 1200 fps and 800 ft pounds of energy and probably shot no better than 2 moa accuracy so possibly around6" group. Id say passing was a great choice. 200 yds for that bullet and velocity is a good limit. IMO

I've seen way to many shots flubbed at even 'medium' range under hunting conditions. Ethical shot distance is very subjective, one length surely doesn't fit all, no matter the gun that's held.

My sweet spot is under 100 yards, not that I wouldn't reach out a bit more.

My longest shot on a deer with any weapon was with my BK92. It was exactly 100 yards (in a cut bean field so it was easy to pace off). I was shooting 100 grains of T7 2F behind a 44 cal 300 gr XTP. I had a good sight picture with a stable shooting position. I am sure I could have shot the doe at 200 or 250 with my 270. With the Knight I would have to be very knowledgeable about bullet drop with that load. I can only shoot 100 yards at my club so I don't have the opportunity to practice at longer ranges.

The problem at long range with the ML is that range estimation becomes extremely critical. It is similar to o bow hunting. With a bow, anything 20 or less is virtually a dead on hold. Once you and yards you get to the point where arrow drop is significant. For this reason I would not want to shoot at 200 with the ML unless the range was somehow marked or I had a lazer rangefinder.

Dutch said:
............... For this reason I would not want to shoot at 200 with the ML unless the range was somehow marked or I had a lazer rangefinder.

Anyone shooting long range should have a range finder. Absolutely no excuse not to.

I can only practice out to 200 yards at the range. I am comfortable at that range. Sitting in a chair with a tripod and an elbow on the back of the chair it's a pretty solid rest. As a general rule deer are not on a crop field unless the wind is light. Bullet drift is the unknown. Light winds come from all directions. Over the years the big boy always seems to like to travel in the open were he can see and the girls can see him. The buck I shot at 220 yards only made it about 20 yards. I just bought some 250 grain Barnes tmz's. I will shoot some of them and if they will open up better I will hunt with them or maybe get some 290 tmz's. Looks like the 290's have a better bc and fly with about the same drop and carry more energy. I would prefer the big boy stand in front of me at 100yards and say kill me but that has only happened once. Not sure that same 260 yd senerio will ever happen again but I may try a few things to improve the odds.

G Money said:
I have not shot at deer that far but have shot at coyotes at 250-300 yards a couple of times. When I have shot, by the time the smoke clears the coyotes have hauled butt and never know which direction they went.
Stupid question now- I know these sabots are relatively quick but any chance they are reacting to the sound of the gun and moving before sabot(300 grain SST) arrives?

One should know how much powder you are using, before answering this question, but......assuming you are using plenty of powder........

300sstflighttime.jpg

The chart is actually made for a 300g 44 caliber XTP pushed by 110g Blackhorn, but your 300g sst will fly about the same. The chart say the bullet takes 0.6 second to fly 300 yard. The speed of sound is about 1125 feet per second. In 0.6 sec, sound will travel about 675 feet, which is 225 yard. So, when the bullet reaches the coyote out 300 yard, the sound has only traveled 225 yard, thus the coyote doesn't hear the report of the rifle, until the bullet passes.

Lots of things have changed over the years. I am on my fourth muzzle gun, second range finder, sixth scope,Blackhorn powder and Barnes bullets. All of those things extended my range with a muzzle gun. Every missed shot has resulted in me buying something better to extend my range for the next opportunity. There is always a limit. What can you do to improve the odds?

walleye said:
Lots of things have changed over the years. I am on my fourth muzzle gun, second range finder, sixth scope,Blackhorn powder and Barnes bullets. All of those things extended my range with a muzzle gun. Every missed shot has resulted in me buying something better to extend my range for the next opportunity. There is always a limit. What can you do to improve the odds?[/quote]

Easy to answer............ practice, practice, practice at your maximum hunting distance, rather self-imposed or limited by the bullet/charge and/or weather (wind) conditions. Its the repeated practice that leads to confidence. Confidence is everything. Wind is a factor, its not that bad at 200 for MOA of deer but, beyond 200yds its definite factor one must learn.
You can have the very best equipment or the most expensive equipment, yet if you don't have total confidence in that equipment, there's a problem needing correction. That correction is lots and lots of practice. There's a few really good long range shooters on the forum, ask them how many rounds and how much propellant they go through a year.

Well, if one is interested in long range shooting, why shoot a muzzleloader? Sort of defeats the idea, it seems.
Plenty of other options that will stretch anyone's ability. :think:

alaska viking said:
Well, if one is interested in long range shooting, why shoot a muzzleloader? Sort of defeats the idea, it seems.
Plenty of other options that will stretch anyone's ability. :think:

Why not use a muzzleloader? Muzzleloaders are very capable of long range hunting accuracy and target accuracy. The key is confidence.

Back