Installation Of Ramrod Holder On Wolf

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nit Wit

Reaction score
Anyone ever install the ferrule for the 2 groove on a wolf. Looks like it needs to be spread wide?Home made tool?
Thanks
Nit Wit

Use the ram rod. Slide the clip onto your ram rod. Put the ram rod in place on the rifle. Hook one side of the clip into the barrel barrel grove. Using the ram rod for leverage, pull the other side of the clip into place. I've used the same procedure to take the off and put them back on my Optima a few times.

Was yours spring steel? I can't get it on! Not even close.
Nit Wit

Mine is more toward the muzzle. I had one side in and it was 1/4inch awy from the other groove.
Thanks
NW

Had the same thing happen to me at the range, ramrod keeper popped off, its spring loaded and I found the best way to put it back in place, put the ramrod keeper on the ram rod, slide the ram rod back into place but only so the rod just begins to enter the for end of the muszzelloader, slide the keeper so it lines up with the grooves in the barrel, hook one side of the keeper in the groove, gently pull the keeper towards the side to be hooked, with side pressure the keeper will snap back in place. I know use a range rod at the range to load with, and do not take my ramrod out of the gun until I have to load my muzzleloader in the field. Have a nice day.

This happened with my Accura V-2. Set one side of ramrod keeper in the groove, I pushed the other side over using the psalm of my hand. After it snaps in, put the plastic piece in making sure the little plastic snap is lined up correctly. đź‘Ť

Mine is more toward the muzzle. I had one side in and it was 1/4inch awy from the other groove.
Thanks
NW
My Optima utilizes two of the ram rod clips. The one up closer to the muzzle comes off and on with the same procedure. If your clip is newer, it might have a stronger temper making it more difficult to install. That's about all I can come up with. Good luck.

Thank you.
Nit Wit
Use the ram rod. Slide the clip onto your ram rod. Put the ram rod in place on the rifle. Hook one side of the clip into the barrel barrel grove. Using the ram rod for leverage, pull the other side of the clip into place. I've used the same procedure to take the off and put them back on my Optima a few times.
Didnt work for me. Any other suggestions?

Can you post a pic of yours? Ive only every seen the one clip on or the screw on type.
Its the CVA wolf. But yours seems to be different because Ive tried using the ramrod, I've even put the gun in a vise and used a spreader tool. I cant even get it close to spreading open enough to clip in

Did you prespread your clip? Because I cant get it even close to hooking on the groove
Nope. I'd taken the clips off that rifle to do a DuraCoat finish. Those were just the factory clips that came on the rifle. Your clips might have a stronger tension in the steel making them harder to spread.

Last edited:
Nope. I'd taken the clips off that rifle to do a DuraCoat finish. Those were just the factory clips that came on the rifle. Your clips might have a stronger tension in the steel making them harder to spread.
Well, then its possible they a
Were already weakened from being on the gun. I lost mine completely and had to buy a new one from Modern Muzzleloader. The new ones are entirely too stiff. Ill probably try prespreading it to weaken it a little. Or, just have a gun smith put it on.

Back